What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Gangs of New York" (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
And if it was all on one disc, people would complain about the video being sub-par.
I thought the changing disc crap went the way of laser disc, and now its making a big comeback on dvd, where soon movies will be spread over 5 discs for that super-duper bit rate imperceptible to the human eye, some members will applaud and accept the interruption to the narrative and the cutting up of the film into 30 minute slices, and others will lament the passing of the "entire movie on one disc!" era.

ps. apologies for the cranky post, it's monday.:)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Stuart.

Looks like you've saved me a purchase, should be worth the rental tough!

Ric

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this movie in the theaters, and am looking forward to watching it again. I don't mind the movie being spread over multiple discs, it's one of the reasons why I got a 5 dvd changer last christmas.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I thought the changing disc crap went the way of laser disc, and now its making a big comeback on dvd, where soon movies will be spread over 5 discs for that super-duper bit rate imperceptible to the human eye, some members will applaud and accept the interruption to the narrative and the cutting up of the film into 30 minute slices, and others will lament the passing of the "entire movie on one disc!" era.
167 minutes of video with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 on a DVD-9 and 167 minutes of video with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 on two DVD-9's look very different.

Compare the two Fellowship of the Ring DVDs. I noticed ringing in a few scenes in the theatrical cut (which has 180 minutes crammed onto a DVD-9). The 4-disc set which puts the film on two DVD-9's is missing this problem in the same scenes. The theatrical has 3 hours of video plus DD 5.1 on a DVD-9. The extended version has around 4 hours with DD 5.1, DTS 6,1, and 5 2.0 tracks on TWO DVD-9's. That's roughly 2 hours of video on each disc. Since two hours of video can fit on a DVD-5 nicely most of the time...that means the compression is a lot less severe.

Think of it for a little... you're compromising image and sound quality to make it fit on a disc. DVD is a wasted opportunity if you can't take advantage of the quality it can offer.

I never owned a laserdisc player, but I doubt any past owners (or current, even) of the technology are complaining about one break.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Switching out a disc is a small price to pay for better sound/video quality. Some people would have never made it during the laserdisc days. I guess there was VHS though.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Some people would have never made it during the laserdisc days. I guess there was VHS though.
ooooh! [smirky mode] The Right Stuff was over 3 hours long, a better film than Gangs of New York and the entire film contained on one disc, the picture quality perfectly acceptable, but than I don't have a 100inch cinemascreen, just a measly 32incher, so I'm not worried about the picture lacking definition on wall-sized screens.[smirky mode disabled] ;)

The Matrix had 4 hours of video material crammed onto one disc and that was a reference quality disc back in the day.

But anyway I'm still looking forward to Gangs of New York popping up over here soon, I hear there is a super-condensed Long-Play Edition available on mini-disc, wahay!:laugh: Shit I can't stop yapping, ok I'm off, adios.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The Right Stuff doens't have a DTS track. It makes a big difference. I woudl think they could have shuffled the special features from disc to disc and put the break in a better place, though.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I never compllain about picture quality.

2 discs for 1 movie that is 167 minutes!!! What a crock!

note: I'll be editing this message in 6 years when I get a 400" screen.

An excellent review, so thanks for that. I especially liked the comments on Bronston's epics since I always thought that "Gangs" shared a lot in common with "The Fall of The Roman Empire" (although Mann's film is a much more satisfying work as a whole).

I'll be getting the R2 so will be interested to see how it compares.

My post from a little over a day ago obviously got nuked along with the database, but thankfully a copy was still in my Internet Explorer cache, so... here it is again :)

I've just reviewed the region 4 version for the Australian site for which I write, and you'll perhaps be surprised to learn that this version contains the movie in its entirety on a single disc, with DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 and the commentary. Absolutely no compression problems are evident (in fact, the average bitrate is pretty high, around 6.7Mbit/sec). Sony Pictures DVD Center did the compression, so as you'd expect it's as perfect as they come.

The split-movie format on the R1 release comes as a surprise to me, having read about it just before I posted my R4 review. I can't see any reason why they'd need to do it.

Also, the layer change on the R4 is completely undetectable even on players that normally exhibit a noticeable pause. Presumably this is Sony's neato "Superbit" authoring trick at work.

- Anthony

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy today. Disc 1 ends very abruptly, but Disc 2 begins in a good place. I think the trick for a side change is silence; if the side ends in during a silent, uneventful moment, then it is works, but during a gunshot (Once Upon A Time In America) or sexual screaming (Gangs Of New York), then it seems obtrusive.

I think that the picture and sound is superb on this DVD.

Films with quick camera moves needs a high bitrate, as it is during quick pans that compression artifacts can show up. But I'd like to see the region 4 edition.

Gordy

John Lloyd

Second Unit
There is one other problem with spreading the movie across two disks: It is difficult to rent it from Netflix. Now I will have to stop by Hollywood Video and pay $4 for a complete copy.

Not an insurmountable problem, but it certainly is incovenient.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think they should have excluded the DTS track, so the film would have fit nicely all on one disc.

I agree completely.

But it fits on one disc with the DTS track!

DTS doesn't take up all that much space. A half-bitrate track (which I would guess they used on the R1 edition as well) takes up about the same amount of disc space as a pair of reduced-bitrate Dolby 5.1 tracks, and less space than a pair of 448Kb/sec DD 5.1 tracks.

FRom my point of view, it's all about the skill of the compressionist. It's not a simple equation that can be done, weighing up movie length and bitrate usage of soundtrack versus picture quality. I've seen discs where the bitrate is as good as stuck on 9.5Mbit/sec with a single Dolby 2.0 soundtrack, and the picture quality's been dreadful - macro blocking and other compression problems everywhere. And yet I still look at Sony's original Fifth Element disc with awe - a two-hour-plus movie on a single layer with picture quality that still floors people today.

I'm not sure who authored the US version of Gangs (Deluxe, maybe, since it's a Miramax title?) but Sony has managed to get the movie AND the DTS track on a single disc and still leave a good 800 or 900MB of free space on the disc in case extra languages are needed - but without compromising picture quality (faults in the actual video transfer notwithstanding :) ). Impressive.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
But it fits on one disc with the DTS track!
exactly. Folks, DTS or no DTS it could have been either single or double disc. They wanted to maximize compression and felt 2 discs were the best way to do it. You can like or not like the 2-disc concept...but let's enjoy that great DTS track which, in iteself, is *not* responsible for the 2-disc decision.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I got my copy today. Disc 1 ends very abruptly, but Disc 2 begins in a good place. I think the trick for a side change is silence; if the side ends in during a silent, uneventful moment, then it is works, but during a gunshot (Once Upon A Time In America) or sexual screaming (Gangs Of New York), then it seems obtrusive.
Maybe I'm expecting too much here, but I would have thought that the above point would be simple 'common sense'. Is this too much to ask :frowning: . This is the second significant title to show blatant disregard for the flow of the story. There are plenty of periods of silence/rest in any movie (well perhaps not in xXx) of recent memory to accomplish this. Does the Director have a say in these decisions? If not, then why not? Does the decision maker on this matter have any criteria other than balancing the before and after time of the movie? It occurred to me that like many marketing decisions there is a 'snob appeal' factor. Maybe this decision was done to appear to appeal to those that think that any 'breathing room' for bitrates would appeal to the 'HTF geek'...I hope not. Common sense should appeal to everyone except those that think that this would introduce the 'J6P' factor ;) .

Joel

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I could point out that Barry Lyndon looks and sounds great at 183 minutes on a single side.... but then, someone would point out that BL is mostly a series of long, still shots. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks