What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Forbidden Planet - 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition. RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Did I get a bad disc or why didn't they fix the frame towards the end of the movie when they are heading back to earth and Leslie is holding Anne, it appears to jump or twitch for a second. Even in the supplements, when that
particular clip came up, it did the same thing. Other than that, the presentation is great. Looks a lot better than the old disc. This is my favorite sci-fi movie because I was impressed with it when it was first shown
theatrically. I absolutely agree, this disc is highly recommended!!!!!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
That is the way the film was originally edited. They removed some of his little speech to her, resulting in a jump cut. They were more forgiving of that kind of thing in those days. The excised footage can be seen in the deleted scenes section (or whatever it's called).

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
As jay said, the old footage can be seen in the deleted scene section. There is also an explanation for the bad edit.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Thanks guys, I guess I didn't pay much attention when viewing some of the supplemental material.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Herb

Nicely written review of this classic I’m looking forwards to seeing this on region 2 DVD over in the UK soon! I kinder got a fondness for Anne Francis as the beautiful Altaira:D

It’s a kind of a film that I would like to relax with in the evenings of the cold harsh winter nights…

Oh, hope the aspect ratio fairs well, as I’ve seen a TV broadcast of this many years ago. I could have shot the TV when then opened it up slightly, cropping off the sides British TV is the worse on the face of the planet Laserdisc and DVD rule OK!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
While I appreciate this review, I must take exception with the statement that the film plods along at the beginning. Sorry, but the pacing is excellent and the set-up superb. Forbidden Planet is one of the top five greatest SF films ever made. Even its special effects hold up remarkably well.

And having first been exposed to Leslie Neilsen in this film, I did not ever see him purely as a comedic actor.

My only complaint about this film is one I've held ever since my first viewing of it oh so many years (um, decades) ago: Robby the Robot's "belch" after having sampled some fine alcohol.

Otherwise, a superb, superb film.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
While I appreciate this review, I must take exception with the statement that the film plods along at the beginning. Sorry, but the pacing is excellent and the set-up superb. Forbidden Planet is one of the top five greatest SF films ever made. Even its special effects hold up remarkably well.

And having first been exposed to Leslie Neilsen in this film, I did not ever see him purely as a comedic actor.

My only complaint about this film is one I've held ever since my first viewing of it oh so many years (um, decades) ago: Robby the Robot's "belch" after having sampled some fine alcohol.

Otherwise, a superb, superb film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks