What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Flash Gordon - The Saviour of the Universe Edition (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

The French R2 disc I used to have was considerably brighter...but looked worse (washed out) as a result. The contrast and black levels on this one look much better to my eyes- though I never saw the film theatrically and don't know which is more 'correct'. I was a little disappointed to see that the garbage mattes around the ships are still visible in a fe shots (but were much more apparent in the brighter R2 edition)- you can see this more easily when Zarkovs ship hurtles into the void.

although I only watched the first 15 minutes or so last night, apart from some ringing I didn't notice any big issues with this disc. It looks great for a 1980 film with a ton of opticals (which of course compound the effects of the grain).
Glad to have it again in a watchable edition (with no forced subs!)- but I will upgrade as soon as the HD version comes along (probably 2008), just like the pavlovian dog I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks