What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Finding Nemo (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh how sweet it is to put in that widescreen DVD and head straight to the main menu....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pity that we can't put in that widescreen DVD and head straight to the movie....

Forced trailers are bad, but forced menus are no better. I don't want to see a menu unless I press the "menu" button.
From my memory, there are no forced trailers on the widescreen version, maybe the 4x3, can't remember. For the record, I loved the picture quality on this disk.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The CC mousepad is liquid-filled. The one I got is different than what DaViD described in his review as it has Crush for the background instead of Bruce.

After spending just a few minutes with Nemo at lunch I am totally impressed with this set. There are cool little touches everywhere.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Forced trailers are bad, but forced menus are no better. I don't want to see a menu unless I press the "menu" button.
I beg to disagree. I despise forced trailers with the heat of a thousand suns. "Forced" (???) menus are normal and proper and allow you to put in the movie, then go get the popcorn from the microwave. MOF, the only thing I hate about menus are the ones that start the movie automatically when you are walking into the room after getting the aforementioned popcorn:D .

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
My CC didn't get any mouse pads in. They said maybe Friday :angry: They never get the freebees in they're supposed to

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed.

Though I will concede that I dislike menus that take hours to load on the screen with some darned animation or song sequence while you try to wait patiently. Give me menus that come up in a reasonable (short) time and I'm happy.

It is odd when I throw in my occasional laserdisc to be reminded what it was like to just "have the movie start" without any of the hullabaloo!

dave :)

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Well i watched it and while for the most part it looked great like others have said it does have its occasional problems. I noticed some ghosting around some of the fish along with some compression artifacts. Overall the the pq is great. Audio wise i found the disc to have great low bass extension at times, but did find the use of surrounds to be lacking a little. Anyone else find they need to turn the volume a tad higher than normal dvds on their receiver? Overall though thumbs up to Pixar for once again a great dvd presentation. I give it a 4.8/5 not quite as good as the Toy Story UTB but very good.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Any reported problems with this disc on any machines? I'm only asking because I got screwed on "Monsters Inc", not being able to play it on my favorite machine (freezing up at the layer change).

greg_t

Screenwriter
My copy won't load on my RCA dvd player, which is a couple years old but has never had a problem before. I'm getting ready to try it on my Panasonic RP91 now.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
The virtual aquarium is a cool feature on the 4:3 disc but the 16:9 ones do not have enough moving material to prevent burn in. Or they could have allowed it to cycle thru all of them to prevent burn in as well.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Great disc. Found my first easter egg on it.. P&S disc, select "bonus features" then go to behind the scenes, select studio tours (you'll see a screen of X-Rays) select UP when studio tours is highlighted, a fish X-Ray will glow, click it and Dory does some craziness :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I usually get new releases of big movies at WalMart because the sell for $13.87 on release day--they ran completely out of Finding Nemo by the time I got there at 4pm. Went to Costco nearby and got it for a bit more but it had a "Children's Novelization" in the box--a large print paperback book of the story. I'd heard of the mousepad and the dvd wallet, but not this particular "extra".

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I popped the first disc in the PC and snooped around a bit. The feature itself is only 3.8GB; small enough to fit on a measly DVD-5. The extras take up a full 50% of the data on the disc. So much for the bit-budget benefit of moving the pan-and-scan to disc 2.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
ARRRGH! Disc 1 is full of scratches and fingerprints! The same thing happened with The Lion King. This one's going back to Best Buy for exchange. :angry:

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Another "fish egg" is on disc 1, in the Virtual Aquarium screen. When you go down to the last one, Sandy Reef, and press down again, the fish in the top icon is highlighted.

-Christian

Basi Nanda

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice the music playing in the "Incredibles" sneak peek trailer is an exact copy of the theme music from the James Bond film "On her majesty's secret service"?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Just finished viewing this great DVD.

Fantastic!

I did see some of the MPEG noise on my 123" screen, but it wasn't bad, and it only showed up in a few scenes.

I think Dave's review is spot on...just short of perfection.

Colors were downright mesmerizing!

As someone who has kept a reef tank for seven years, I was extremely impressed with how accurate the movements of the anemone's and fish were. The amount of research that went into making this movie must have been enormous....something I hope they talk about in the special features.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Don't know whether it's an exact copy, but I did notice that the music sounded extremely Bond-like. Worked very well, I thought.

-Christian

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yet again, Disney is cramming their discs too full of stuff!!

Put most of the extras on disc 2 and get rid of the damn modified version!!

They could have had a DTS-ES track too if they had budgeted their bits better (that's a mouthful!). :D

Dan

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, I love this movie.

I recommended this movie and DVD to everyone.

While the extras downright suck, the video quality is exceptional. The sound isn't too shabby either, while not reference quality but still solid.

I have already seen it twice in one day, looking to watch in in the next couple of days to view the commentary.

Raymond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks