What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Field of Dreams - Anniversary Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I hate buying anything at Walmart but unfortunately was forced to for the bonus disc. At least they had some widescreen versions availble but about 3/4 were fullscreen.

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the Scrapbook doc last night and thought it was OK. Some of the earlier reports of it being "the best of it's kind" brought my expectations up to far though. As it's nowhere near as good as the Hamster Factor or the doc on John Carpenters "The Thing" IMO

Sten F

Second Unit
It seems this Walmart bonus DVD is one of the better ones coming out. Just out of curiousity. Any ideas how much sought after this Walmart bonus DVD eventually are going to be?

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Easter Egg: Go to Bonus Materials and click the right arrow, highlighting an icon of a baseball player.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Jeanette, Scrapbook originally appeared as a supplement on the ($100) Field of Dreams laserdisc box set. When Universal first released the film on DVD, they included nearly all (or, perhaps all, my recall on this is a bit fuzzy) of the bonus features from the LD (including Scrapbook) on the single DVD... at a fraction of the retail price of the LD ($30). This was back in the early days of DVD, at a time when many manufacturers were "testing the waters" of the format. Field of Dreams (and a few other Universal special editions) was perceived as a great bargain, and in it's day, Scrapbook was regarded as an exemplary "supplementary feature." By today's standard, it is still serviceable, but it has been eclipsed by many of the exhaustive modern supplements that have followed in its path.

In the end, I think it's nice that Robinson found a away to include it with the new release. I just wish that manufacturers would get away from providing "exclusive content" to individual stores. Make it available to all, IMO.

Gary

One last thought...

To anyone who can't get to a Walmart and wants the Scrapbook disc, look around for copy of the origianl DVD. I have not looked in a while, but I know I have seen new copies selling for $10 and less. I imagine you can pick up a used for even less than that.

Brian O

Second Unit
Anyone know if the "bonus disc" version is being sold also at Sam's Club stores and for how much?

Dave Farley

Second Unit
On the original release, how do you access the isolated score and the script? The menu on my older copy matches the screen capture on the DVDBeaver site but I don't see the way to those features. Thanks.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, I've only got the R4 which comes without either! However, the isolated score on the R1 is an easter egg;

Hidden Soundtrack

- Go to the Bonus Material Screen.
- Choose "Field Of Dreams Scrapbook."
- Go to the "Language Selection."

After selecting "Spoken Languags" you will see an entry for the music score, which will let you play the film's soundtrack.

---
So many films, so little time...

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Thanks for the information, John. It was right where you said it was. I now feel a little stupid having asked about the script. It turned out to be right in the chapter listing for the Field of Dreams Scrapbook documentary. I never bothered looking at the chapter stops for it.

Sten F

Second Unit
From what I have read so far the Widescreen seems more limited than the Fullscreen version. Does the Walmart bonus disc come with both the fullscreen and widescreen or just a few?

Sten F

Second Unit
From what I have read so far the Widescreen seems more limited than the Fullscreen version. Does the Walmart bonus disc come with both the fullscreen and widescreen or just a few?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
After looking over the complete disc I have to say that I didn't mean to sound so negative before. It's not a bad transfer. It's solidly better than before. However it has more flaws than i'd expect with colors, black level and grain in the picture. It's not what i'd call a detailed picture which kind of suggest that some filtering happened. However I can't complain about the 5.1. They sounded better than i'd expect ( I didn't expect that much and it hardly rivals a modern soundtrack but it's at the least "surrounding").

I'd be curious to read other's reviews of this title?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
After looking over the complete disc I have to say that I didn't mean to sound so negative before. It's not a bad transfer. It's solidly better than before. However it has more flaws than i'd expect with colors, black level and grain in the picture. It's not what i'd call a detailed picture which kind of suggest that some filtering happened. However I can't complain about the 5.1. They sounded better than i'd expect ( I didn't expect that much and it hardly rivals a modern soundtrack but it's at the least "surrounding").

I'd be curious to read other's reviews of this title?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks