What's new

HTF REVIEW: ER: The Complete First Season (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I finished ER season 1 tonight and I'm so mad that I can't go out and purchase season 2 yet. It's pretty much like having to wait the whole summer for the season premiere of your favorite show!

I still won't go out and recommend anyone buy the MASH series, or other comedies like the Simpsons, but I'm a lot more open to considering series such as: CSI, Sopranos, and others
I own the first four seasons of M*A*S*H and I sort of agree. Believe it or not, these are blind buys for me, and while I enjoy the show, I lament the lack of a continuous storyline and am not sure what kind of replay value these sets hold.

CSI is a good show. I own season 1 and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to you. As addictive as it is, ER is much more so. CSI spends little time developing its characters and a whole lot of time on the cases and technology in each episode (to be expected from a Jerry Bruckheimer production). When it does develop the characters though (such as those few times when a CSI will get too personally attached to a victim or a case), it really grabs you.

One series that I've found has unlimited replay value is Sports Night. I could (and have) watch these over and over. Sorkin's follow-up series, The West Wing, will have the same effect on me when it is released. And you already own the two others I'd recommend to you: The Twilight Zone and Friends.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I think the key is quality.

It is amazing how much better some of these excellent series are with good picture quality and without commercials.

In fact...they seem much, much better.

"ER" is incredibly addictive. Sometimes it is like watching a train wreck, but it is always compelling.

I am not a fan of hospitals, or medicine, or major injury, or of most things "medical". In fact, I do whatever preventative maintenance I can to avoid trips to the doctors. ;)

But...the show is incredibly melodramatic and compelling. I tape the episodes each morning that air on TNT.

I agree that "Sports Night" has excellent replay value. It is a terrific show that is of the type that I can watch over-and-over again. The same is true for "Friends."

I purchase the "24" sets because the show isn't of the type that we will see in reruns.

I just hope we don't have to wait too long for the rest of the "ER" sets...

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Excellent review, Herb. This was a great show for several years (though it's been slipping). Nice to see it on DVD, and that it's been done up right.

I always thought that purchasing a TV series was absolutely insane...
I must be very insane, indeed... ;)

Niche shows are very understandable: Trekkies are very likely to purchase boxed sets of the series. Even at the high price of Trek and X-files, the dollar-per-hour invested is lower than most theatrical releases.

Move on to other shows in the

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I don't think ER will be one I'll buy, simply because I have other priorities - most (not all) of what I buy is scifi... If only I could afford everything!
I think there are many who put a priority on sci-fi shows. They tend to have loyal followings that stand the test of time.

I wonder if that is why they are priced higher in certain cases than other shows?

As an example, "Battlestar Galactica" has an SRP of $119. I loved the show and am thinking about buying it, but that price tag (even if I find it for $99 or so) is still a bit high...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm on the fence about Battlestar Galactica as well. That's a lot of money. I'll have to wait until I'm actually holding it in my hands to decide. That's the way I am with most things, actually.

There have been a few no-brainers though -- ER and The West Wing, for instance. Addictive Drama + Low Price = Must Buy.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I wonder if that is why they are priced higher in certain cases than other shows?
Whoa now, I don't think you want to open that can of worms :)

Every time I have made a similar statement (that X-files and Star Trek are priced higher because they have cult like followings that would pay any asked price, and therefore are quick cash cows) I get lambasted, and reminded that it is because the talent is so much better and therefore they have to be paid higher royalties. But when shows like ER, with a bigger star pool than say DS9, can come in at $39.99 a season, I have to wonder :D

Chris

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Scott, I can totally buy into people investing in the Sci Fi series of purchases, as they are really more of a film experience.

I can even buy into short sets like the Fawlty Towers boxset.

Blind buys catch us at our weak point. The key is to buy what we believe has value, and what is better in value than increasing the viewing experience and / or replayability?

Watching any series with better sound, picture, and NO commercials, especially if it is a series you are really taken with, is not insane.

There, I've come full circle in a week. Now I'm gonna hold out for all the Seinfeld releases.:D

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i've only watched the first couple of episodes, but i have to disagree about the PQ. while there are moments of sharpness, it is overall very soft. and is rather flat, lacking depth and three-dimensionality. given the excellent PQ on other series released on DVD, i find it rather a disappointment.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Amazon shows a totally different description of the Intern Handbook feature from what the packaging indicates. .......

"The First Year Intern Handbook," an interactive feature with complete character profiles, 45 "patient" histories of the various guest stars, and a medical terminology glossary.

Is the above Amazon description of this feature correct? The box says nothing about "patient histories" or "complete character profiles". Curious it wouldn't be fully stated on the packaging, because the above sounds like it'd be a good additional selling incentive.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
That is actually an accurate description of the Intern Handbook. Keep in mind though, that the character profiles and "patient" histories of the various guest stars describe the characters, not the actors who played them.

The medical terminology glossary is quite exhaustive and interesting for those (like me) who just have to know what a CHEM 7 and MI are.

Interactivity entails clicking links with your remote to go to a "page" to read.

Edited Addition: The description on the packaging though not all encompassing is also true. Yet another interesting interactive bit is the clickable floor plan of the ER.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i originally wansn't going to get this set; while i really liked ER (i stopped watching last season), i've never had interest watching reruns. but when the price came in at C$42 at amazon, i couldn't resist. at first the episodes were okay, but starting with "Blizzard" (9th episode), the show kicks into a higher gear and just consistently stayed there. now i remember why i liked this show so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks