What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Duel - Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my copy of DUEL today and it does look and sound excellent. My question is: why can't i access the mono track, my only option is the is 5.1 surround sound track.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

quote:"Well it's a nice enough day for a drive..." - He then looks at the speedometer, and notes that he's running pretty fast, and decides to coast, and the speedometer goes lower... "whoops, take it easy, let that fool get out of range"...as Weaver continues at a slow speed on a downgrade: "yup, I'll just take my time, take my own...sweet..." - suddenly the rear of the truck appears.

Since the Universal 8 cut was made before the US theatrical cut, this dialogue must have appeared in the TV movie, if the notes above on the UK cut are to be accepted.

Well, you've got ME confused now Keith...lol...because I've never heard any of that dialogue on any version of Duel. Perhaps I've been growing up on the 1983 US theatrical cut only (I remember first taping the movie off TV that year), but I've never seen that dialogue anywhere NEAR all the versions I've seen.

Great...between all the different versions of Duel, E.T., CE3K, Jaws, and 1941 out there, does anyone think it's just POSSIBLE that Spielberg is as obsessive (if not as controversial) a re-cutter of his films as his good friend George Lucas is?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:Since the disc has a DTS soundtrack, Universal requires you to specifically select the soundtrack through the main menu - you cannot change it on the fly. i disagree with that, i know i have several dvd's with dts that allow change on the fly.

i think it's a decision made by the studio or the producer of the dvd.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
So, no answers yet on these cuts to the DVD?

Hopefully someday Duel can be revisited and fully restored. Maybe I have to watch THIS version over 100 times first, too. OK, "here we go!"
wink.gif

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
quote:The "dinosaur roar" is there on my DTS track--a little subdued but it's definitely there.

As far as I can tell that is not "The" roar but a simular sounding metal crunch effect, which was in all likelihood the origin of the original Monster Roar effect to begin with hence the slight similarity, but it is as far as I can tell a newly recorded (or at least different) sound effect than the "Munster's roar" that was originally used in the telefilm.

If you listen to it on the 5.1 mix you can hear that it continues far longer than the original effect on the mono track.

Bare in mind, "the mono track is there" critics, that it isn't the quality of the original or new effect nor the fact that we somehow think the original isn't available on the DVD that galls us, it is the fact that after all the talking up that Steve has done over the years regarding this bit of DUEL trivia they replaced it in the new mix. I seriously doubt that Spielberg, after all he has said, had them replace it. It was IMHO yet another in Universal's long line of screw-up's.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I contacted Universal (Canada) about this by email and they simply deny any knowledge of a problem. To quote Mandy Rice-Davies, well they would wouldn't they?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok thought i'd throw in my thought too.

the DD 5.1 track does not have the roar.

it should happen right after the truck horn goes off.

on the DD track the volume goes very low for the second or so were the roar is supposed to be heard.

so it seems to me that it was muted in some way to take the roar out.

as said before it is absolutely there on the mono track.

i havent checked the dts yet.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
So, I have the old MCA VHS tape. The cut of DUEL contained in this VHS tape is the exact same as the new DVD, right? Or am I confused?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks