What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Dracula - The Legacy Collection (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Can anyone tell me if the framing on the original DRACULA has been correcte? Also, in the last DVD release, the Schubert Symphony music played during the theatre sequence was missing. Is that restored? They had the Wagner, but no Schubert. I suspect when they were preparing the film for the Quartet soundtrack, they removed this music and didn't put it back in to the original track.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I was also a bit reluctant to double dip but I decided to go ahead and pre-order the Monster Legacy box set with the three figurines. Yesterday I listed and sold some of the discs that will be replicated in the box sets for a decent profit. So, for only a few dollars out of pocket I'll get House of Dracula, the new Bride video transfer (as far as genre films go there's no place I trust more than the Mobius forum for getting the correct info), and three very gaudy figurines.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I am happy to hear that all the bonus features from the previous discs have been retained. Out of those previous discs, Dracula was the only one I got for some reason. I always meant to grab Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, but didn't get around to it before they went out of print. Looks like I'll probably be getting the Frankenstein set, at least; don't know how much the Dracula sequels are worth to me. We'll see, I guess.

Thanks for the review, Jason!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Is disc 2 double-sided?

In anticipation of the Monster Legacy box, I sold off my DVDs of Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and The Wolfman a few months ago. I got back more than what I paid for them, and much more than this box will cost me :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
As for me, I'll be getting the deluxe set (with the statuettes) AND keeping all my earlier DVDs. I considered selling them, but as I gazed down at all those beautiful covers spread out on the living room floor... I just couldn't bring myself to do it. This is my Monster collection, after all, and I love it! The new editions will sit proudly next to the old editions on my shelf.

I only hope that Universal releases another wave at some point (sooner rather than later), complete with statuettes of The Creature, The Mummy, and The Invisible Man....

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I hope this isn't three and Out. We need A Creature Legacy with the Original, Revenge of the Creature, and the Creature walks Among Us.

CREATURE,CREATURE,CREATURE

Go Gillman.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Micheal Streeter,

Yes, the second disc is double sided in each of the Legacy Collection Sets

Craig,

You are a man after my own heart buddy! If I still had the Classic Monsters DVDs, they would also sit proudly right next to the new Legacy releases. I know, I know...I am a sentimental fool! :D

Dave Scarpa,

I am with you, my man! We need the Creature ASAP!!!! And while you're at it, what about the Mummy? Are ya listening Universal??? Halloween would be nice, if I may offer a suggestion...I'll have ROTK and the Star Wars set to hold me over until then! ;)

Regards to all,

Jason

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they don't really go all out on a Dracula restoration. Preferences aside, this is still The grandfather. I was a bit disappointed in the original transfer and was SHOCKED by how much better looking the Spanish version was. I know it's print dependent, but look at the Casblanca, Grapes of Wrath (excessive EE notwithstanding...) restorations. Ah well....

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Excellent review. The only monster collection disk I was able to get previously was Dracula. I will definitely be grabbing the Monster LEgacy collection!

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

I picked up the laser discs of Creature walks among us and Revenge of the Creature, I just don't have confidence that Universal will release them any time soon.
Todd

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Yeah, bring on another Legacy wave: Creature, Mummy, Invisible Man!

This wave is a tie-in with Van Helsing (and may be the silver lining to a CG cloud, based on the current trailers), so how about a second round with the DVD release of VanH?

Med

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the original releases of Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride...& The Wolfman but I've ordered the Monster Legacy Collection for the others films which I missed out on before they were deleted.

Hope the news is true about the new Bride transfer...fingers crossed!

Have to agree with those who want a similar release for The Creature, Mummy & Invisible Man films - I'd buy that collection in an instant.

On a related topic, what are the chances of Universal releasing a new version of John Badham's Dracula (1979) with a new print and restored colour? What on earth made Badham desaturate the colour so much anyway? The film never looked like that in the cinema or anytime I've viewed it on TV/video.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
What kind of packaging are the discs in? The cover makes it look a digipak/die-cut slipcase like the Pulp Fiction SE came in.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely with the reviews for DRACULA and THE SPANISH DRACULA - especially that Bela Lugosi is the best Dracula, and for all the glitter in the Spanish Version, the Count is just way too silly-looking in his expressions, and he's not Lugosi. As for my opinion of the criticism for the other Dracula films, I don't agree... and the less I say, the better :)

I have it from pretty reliable sources that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN's previous poor cropping job has been corrected, at the very least.

I can't wait to double-dip on all these LEGACY SETS, monster figurines and all.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I have the entire Universal Monster Collection that is out of print. Nevertheless, the great pricing of the three Legacy sets is worth the investment to have Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, House of Dracula, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and the rest. I'm paricularly excited about the remastering of Bride of Frankenstein (let's hope it's true). I think that it's great that Universal is releasing these bargain priced sets. I advise you to check out the Abbott and Costello Collection as well as the Airport Terminal Pack (both great).

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Check this out, scroll down to the subject "Bloodsucking on a Budget" by amanontherun:

http://b2.ezboard.com/fscarletstreet...1121&stop=1129

That says all we need to know about Universal imo. There IS a better version of Dracula out there but Universal chooses to give us basically the same transfer we've had for the past fifteen years. On the previous page, one person describes a cleaned-up 35mm print he saw in a theater back in the '70's that was superior to the current version we have now.

What a bunch of assholes, Universal really doesn't give a shit about these movies. Too bad these films aren't in the hands of Warners.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Jason—very complete and detailed.

We do disagree as to the merits of Dracula and Drácula however, as I prefer the Spanish version.

Your point as to the camera work is well made and to that I would add that the ending of the Spanish version is far preferable to the one in English.

As to the merits of the two lead actors, it is my belief that we think that Lugosi is better in the role, because we have all seen this film many times and we expect that the way he plays the role is the perfect way the Count should be portrayed.

So when we see what is essentially the same production (sets, much of the screenplay, etc.) any actor would suffer by comparison to Lugosi—not just Carlos Villarías.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I guess I'm the only one who think's Lugosi's DRACULA is the most overrated horror film in history.
----------------------------------------------------------

You are not alone. DRACULA has never clicked with me, either. I was hoping the Glass score might help me enjoy it, but after 5 minutes I had to shut it off because it is IMO pretty lousy. His score is just too busy and not at all moody. Once I shut it off I began to appreciate the film more than before, but still find it totally un-scary and dull. The lousy print quality doesn't help. I find myself identifying with the monster and the wolf man, but not Dracula.

Mark

richardWI

Second Unit
I don't think Browning's Dracula is meant to be identified with the way the monster and wolf man are. This is the story of an alien force invading, enslaving and killing tons of people, and threatening to take this guy's girl and turn her into something unnatural. No, it doesn't seeem to me that they were going for a monster who should be indentified with in that film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks