What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Deep Space Nine" Season One (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if Costco will be carrying these sets? They carried TNG, but as of today, I have not seen DS9 listed on their Web site. I would buy it from their store and save shipping.

Thanks.

Doug

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Costco in my town is still heavily stocked on TNG sets, and *PERHAPS* that "lower insterest" (perceived, anyway) in DS9 compared to TNG, in conjunction with this overstock, translates into a decision not to carry the new sets.

Still, I personally think this doesn't mean too too much, at least not yet. As I do the Weekly Roundups, I OFTEN see titles not listed on their website, that appear in stores anyway the following Tuesday. For this past week, Cinema Paradiso certainly took people by suprise.

So, my advice is: check on street date and see if it's there. If its not, you can always head over to Best Buy and pick up a copy with the bonus disc. It will be terribly overpriced compared to a typical Costco tag for this kind of set, but that's life in the collector's world. :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was lucky to preorder this with FYE.com with a 20% coupon getting it for 76.99 Shipped. I just hope they don't cancel the set or otherwise I'm off to Costco.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the first disc last night and LOVED it. (Well, the locked door murder mystery episode was pretty crummy.) I never watched the show while it was on but the recommendations of others on this forum convinced me to give it a try.

A couple questions: I remember hearing that Major Kira's part was originally to be for Ensign Ro but this was changed for some reason. Does anyone have any info on this?

And what was Mr. Obrien's very last appearance on TNG?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think it was becuase Michelle Forbes wanted to get into movies so she passed on being a DS9 regular.

The only thing I can remember seeing her in off the top of my head is Kalifornia.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Michelle Forbes didn't feel like doing a weekly TV series at the time, and opted not to do DS9.

And Colm Meaney's last appearance on TNG was in "All Good Things..." :) IMDB puts his last pre-DS9 appearance as "Rascals" in Season 6.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Michelle "Ensign Ro" Forbes simply didn't want to be tied down to a TV show at that time. Many people nowadays remember it as a money dispute, but I think they are thinking of Kirstie Alley. :)

Obviously there were no hard feelings, and Ro Laren returned later on in the TNG series.

Colm Meaney's VERY last appearance on TNG was in the series finale, "All Good Things..." :D Time-travel aside, his last appearance before tranferring off the Enterprise-D was in...Deep Space Nine's pilot, "Emissary". :D

But the real answer to your question is "Rascals", during Season 6. Two episodes later, in "The Quality of Life", a new and different transporter chief was shown...never to be seen again! ;) The stardate of "Emissary" is roughly that of right before the 2-part episode "Chains of Command", which follows "Quality of Life". So the timing all comes together.

Was that geeky enough for you? :eek: :laugh:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys.

I also remember Michelle Forbes in SWIMMING WITH SHARKS. She was also George Costanza's girlfriend, the one who handed Elaine the Big Salad, even though George is the one who actually paid for the Big Salad. She accepted Elaine's thanks under false pretenses! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
D'oh...I took so long to compose my reply, I see a couple of folks beat me to it! I, uh, had to hide what I was doing for a little while. A boss walked over to talk to me. :b

Ron,you must continue the mission for Deep Space Nine reviews. This will give all the people who watched one or two episodes to get a better understanding about the real meaning of DS9. Imagine this, Dr. Beverly Crusher and Counseler Troi engaged in a fierce battel for the enterprise without the help from starfleet and the crew!
NOT!! Now see this major Kira and Dax fighting, Cardassians, Klingons, Jem He'dar, Narsicans, Breens
and any other space outlaw that invade them or their beliefs. DS9 is not only the best of the Trek Series it is the most challenging for the REAL TREKKIES, in the words of Worf, It's Glorious!!

Joel C

Screenwriter
Oddly enough, MF is now entrenched in 24. Though she probably won't have a 7 year committment there.

Still, I don't know if I, were I am actor, could pass up the security of a job as a major character on a Trek series.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The DS9 actors havent had a hard time getting gigs after it was over like some of the other trek actors. Siddig has been in a bunch of movies since then, same with Meaney who did movies while ds9 was on , Farrell was on becker, plus she does some modeling ,Nicole DB is on the Dead Zone, the ferengi trio did a show together for a while, the others went on to do theater, and a bunch of them also have written trek books which turned out pretty good. Not to forget Jefferey Combs keeps popping up on enterprise :)

capt

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Ron, check out season 2 when it comes out because IMO, it was actually better than season 3.

Jeff

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Staying off topic :rolleyes:, Michelle Forbes was also on the series "Homicide..." as one of the coroners.

Doug

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David, for the thorough response. :)

I had never seen this show before but I am enjoying it so far. One thing I'm not quite clear on:

The station is Cardassian technology but they have abandoned it, is that right? It is now Bajoran property but run by the Federation at Bajor's request. Did the Cardassians abandon the station under the terms of their treaty with the Federation? And is this the same treaty that was referred to in THE WOUNDED? i.e. the treaty that brought about the end of the Fed-Cardassian war? I assume Bajor used to be in Cardassian space but due to a change in borders, this is no longer so. Is that right?

I'm still getting used to the characters. Sisko is the most "awkward" by far. I understand the actor grows more comfortable with the role later on. Quark & Odo look like they will form a comedy team similar to Data & Worf. I love Odo's "moment" at Quark's bar on disc 1 where he vents about the need for "compromise" with a female. :) Dr. Bashir is kind of annoying, he chose the assignment because he wants to be a hero, but he makes gravy in his shorts when the Cardassians show up with phasers blazing. I like Garak a lot. Who would have thought a Cardassian could be so charming.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I'm still getting used to the characters. Sisko is the most "awkward" by far. I understand the actor grows more comfortable with the role later on. Quark & Odo look like they will form a comedy team similar to Data & Worf. I love Odo's "moment" at Quark's bar on disc 1 where he vents about the need for "compromise" with a female. Dr. Bashir is kind of annoying, he chose the assignment because he wants to be a hero, but he makes gravy in his shorts when the Cardassians show up with phasers blazing. I like Garak a lot. Who would have thought a Cardassian could be so charming.
Funny thing about this series is that the characters actually grow and change, whereas in other modern Treks they seem to exist in a vacuum. For the most part on TNG, stories from one season could just as easily have taken place in another. Not entirely so with DS9. You'll see what happens to all these characters. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Cardassians have been occupying Bajor for years (decades?), but have just pulled out - it's got little, if anything to do with the Federation. It's implied that the Cardassians have strip-mined Bajor to the extent that, combined with the Bajoran Resistance, maintaining the occupation no longer makes sense - until, of course, the wormhole is discovered. Bajor requests Starfleet administer the station, since their government is not yet organized enough to provide the stability necessary, or defend it from external attack.

It's a bit complicated, especially since Star Trek has always kept the relationships of the galaxy's powers vague.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The cardassians originally went to bajor saying they wanted to help out and be peacefull but they pretty much took over. Used bajorans as slaves, strip mined the planet and so on for around 50 years. It was first talked out in TNG's 6th season i believe it was. The bajorans fought for decades for drive the cardassians off. The cardassians right before ds9 began left after the cardassian leaders decided bajor was no longer worth the trouble so they pulled out. The bajorans provisional government asked The Federation to help out with the station and in other matters till they could get back on there feet.

As i mentioned the bajorans story first appeared in TNG and had a little back story

Capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks