What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Days Of Wine And Roses (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i've had people with alcohol problems in my family and am well aware the problems associated with this substance so i don't think i need the message out of the film (tho maybe it might help me confront some issues i have with an addiction to some certain tiny shiny silver discs).
and i'm not dismissing the film out of hand.
i'm saying, because i like the cast and always appreciate a fine transfer of a classic film, i hope its much more than just a 2 hr descent...etc.
i'm more than likely going to be picking this up with most of the other 1/6 Warner titles (for anyone that doesn't know Borders has a sale going on if you buy 4 films you get the 5th free).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I have never made it a secret that other than
watching The Marx Brothers and James Cagney as
a kid during the 1970s, I never watched much classic
film.

I was never fond of B&W film. I found it as
boring and lifeless as the transfers that were
shown on TV. Even during the VHS boom in the
1980s, I could never bring myself to watching a
film made prior to the mid-1960s.

But DVD changed all that. Thanks to painstaking
restorations and proper ratio presentations, all
of these films seem brand new.

I can't get enough of classic film and this past
year I have watched more GREATS than I have in my
entire lifetime. I already have a dozen classics
from Fox, MGM and Warner on preorder.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Paul,
Like I said, watch the film first before dismissing it as just a message film. Like any film it tells a story, but it does so in a very revealing manner with some great acting performances which in my opinion makes a very good film.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I did not know your background. :frowning: It is never too late to enjoy classics. :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Paul,

Being a friend of Bill W. myself, I'm wary of preachy message films having to do with addictions, especially those with happy endings. I don't think Days of Wine and Roses falls into that category. It is one of the most realistic films ever done on the subject. It does depict a descent into hell, something I was quit familiar with, but also depicts recovery in a non-preachy, non-sugarcoated way.

As an aside, whenever I see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf I laugh my ass off.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Steve:
Also being a member of your "organization" myself, so to speak, I must also say that I feel this film was way ahead of its time in the manner with which it dealt with alcoholism. Moreoever, it's a compelling drama in its own right, of course. A great film, IMHO.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen this one in quite some time and I'll be picking it up because it's a great movie, Jack Lemmon is great in it, and I love Lee Remick. But I don't look forward to watching it because I remember it as being quite depressing.

Real Name
Anthony
My importer is saying they're having trouble getting hold of this disc. Has anyone noticed a problem with availability ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks