What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Daredevil - Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also got the directors cut of DD.. I must say that I was very impressed with it.. it really fixed all the problems that I had with the theatre version.. it was not choppy. it did flow much better, almost comparing the theatre version of two towers to the EE.. it make so much sense in alot of what they were explaining that was cut.. I was also easy to follow.. even the backstory with matt as a kid and dad was much better.. you had a better understanding of matt and his father.. when becomes an adult.. there is more understanding/caring for the character that seemed to be missing in the theatre version. the subplot helped connect all of the dots, and also gave the actors more work.. even ben who got a bad rap for his role as DD.. was much better. there is also more humor which always helps.

I don't know if the directors cut had a better rewatchable factor.. I would recommend checking it out.. even if you hated the theatre version.

JACOB

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
The murder subplot definitely built up to the Kingpin fight better. And I like Mark Johnson's comment: "The theatrical cut came off as a revenge picture, like 'Who got my girlfriend?'". And he's right. The Director's Cut just has a much bigger focus that comes together for that final fight.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Great review Michael.

I really liked the theatrical cut and got my director's cut last night. I watched the first half before bed and it is much improved.

I'm still impressed that Mark Steven Johnson was able to go back and re-edit the film. Now if only Stephen Norrington could go back and try to make some sense out of LXG...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I hope other people in the forum will take a chance and watch this version of DD. I think they will be more happy with the final result of this version of the movie.

JACOB

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I doubt anything short of filming a new movie is going to help that celluloid disaster. :)

I will see this because I really had DD hyped in my mind. When I actually saw it in theatres, I was really disappointed. Let's hope...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Picked this up today too. At $13 it's a deal. Plus, there's a coupon inside for a $10 rebate if you buy any two certain Fox titles. This is included. Since I will be picking up 24:S3 when it comes out (also included) that knocks another $5 off the price!

I just hope there's a Proof of Purchase tab in 24:S3. There wasn't one in S2 and I never figured out how to get the rebate for that one!

-paul

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
I watched my copy this weekend...it really is like a new movie. Subtle in parts, with more fleshed-out characters. It feels like they originally cut out half the movie, with the Coolio sub-plot being such a major part of the storyline. A really complete and satisfying experience, and I gained a lot of respect for Mark Steven Johnson and for his ambitions for the movie; it must have been heartbreaking to see so much footage disappear.
OK, the 20-foot jumps are still there, but there is so much good stuff, they become very, very minor flaws. I hope everyone eith even a semi-interest in this will check it out.
It's the most improved 'Director's Cut' movie I've seen (maybe along with The Abyss: SE)
BOO! to Fox for cutting the scenes in the first place, but
YAY! to Fox for putting this DVD out!

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

It's the other way around - the Director's Cut is the version of the movie that MSJ originally submitted to Fox.

Then they had to recut the movie a bit to get a PG-13 and that version was then cut to shreds by Gary Foster and released as the Theatrical Version.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Chris

What I meant that I was surprised he was able to do that since the film wasn't received very well. I'm glad to have the director's cut since it does improve on what was released by the studio.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The "Superhuman Leaps" of Bullseye and Elektra always bothered me as well(As well as the young Matt leanring to cope with his abilities andkick as so quickly and effortlessly, but oh well)

The movement of DD didnt as he is the man without fear and doesnt have to rely on his eyes.

On the other hand a few things I did like which received critism is the scars,pain killers and healing bath.

VERY curious about this Dir Cut

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would say its the best new cut since the two towers EE.. flows much better, not so choppy.. and feels like anew movie..

JACOB

Tim Meader

Auditioning
I'm always amazed how many people think that Daredevil was a financial disaster. It made almost 180 million worldwide, with a budget of 80 (only reason this got so inflated was because the folks at Fox thought that Daredevil had to have more "Spider-man like" effects sequences after that movie did so well... idiots). The first DVD also sold surprisingly well. They've more than made their money back on this film. Just yesterday I saw a post in another forum about how "if only Daredevil had had same 'Blade' level success". Newsflash: Blade made only 130 million worldwide.

Not every Marvel comics movie is going to be the lightening in a bottle that Spider-man was. Daredevil simply isn't as popular, or as accessible a character as Spider-man. Of course, those films were better as well... but still.

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the new cut last night. Wow! Talk about a completely different movie! Much improved over the theatrical cut. The added scenes with Foggy are priceless. Not to mention Bullseye's airport scene. That one had me laughing my ass off. But seriously I think that had this been the version originally released, it would have been even more successful. My two cents.

Edwin

Britton

Screenwriter
I almost bought this yesterday, but all the good reviews here have convinced me to take advantage of the great $12.99 price at Target. It also helps that I never bought the theatrical cut on dvd, so the double-dip is a non factor here.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy has this for $12.99. Maybe it's a regional price?

It's also advertised on their website at $12.99 so maybe those whose stores don't have it marked down can order it online and choose store pickup...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
$12.99 at Best Buy here too. The sticker on it says $14.99 though but it's on sale. :)

Haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I'll probably view it over the weekend. :)

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Saw it last night (yeah I double dipped) WAY WAY WAY better movie...producer should be shot for cutting it the way he did. It's funny as hell watching the featurette and the producer is trying to defend his version (I think it's the best) you can tell it's forced. The director can barely hold in his contempt at what happened to it on the cutting block. Now maybe we'll see a sequel.

Affleck said he would do it if Kevin Smith directed. Since Smith wrote DD for awhile and if Fox can get it's head out of it's ass maybe we'll see it. I'd love to see more Kingpin.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, to my knowledge, Affleck cameos in Elektra, so that could be looked at as a semi-sequel as well as a spin-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks