What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Club Dread" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
I honestly think Super Troopers has the potential to become a classic comedy for my generation (backing vocals: it's my generationnnn!!!!). Sorry, had to.

This on the other hand...I don't know. Maybe I need to give it a second try. I just hated it so damn much in the theatre.

And as for Puddle Cruiser...that DVD has been delayed almost as much the Bladerunner: SE. lol. I've been waiting for that DVD for about 3 years now. Each time I check up on it they say (and this is including when I talked to Chandreskhar himself), "oh it's soon! Real soon. Give it a few more months!" always. grr.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I really liked Super Troopers so I decided to rent Club Dread just for kicks. While I wouldn't call it a great movie it certainly had me laughing. As a huge Jimmy Buffett fan I thought that the character of Coconut Pete was a spot-on lampoon and I had to freeze-frame it while he was thumbing through his LP collection to read all of the hilarious song titles.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
To confirm the rumors that there is another version of CLUB DREAD on the way, CHUD.com reported this bit of info straight from Broken Lizard's Paul on their webblog:

"Hey guys, I've seen some chatter on the blog about the dvd, the lack of extra features, the Special Edition, and something about an alternate ending. So let me clear up a few things....Fox told us that they were planning on releasing 2 dvds: a theatrical cut, and then, in the fall, a Special Edition, which would include all the extra features most of us have come to expect in a dvd, plus most of the scenes that we had to cut from the theatrical version. To us, this sounded like kind of a racket. But alas, we have no control over these things. They actually were planning on releasing the theatrical version without the commentary tracks. (this tells you a little bit about the people we're dealing with) We were able to throw enough of a shit-fit to get them to squeeze the commentary on, but as far the 2 versions, they're trying to make more money, and there's no way to argue a movie studio out of trying to make more money. (and trust me, it's income we don't see a dime of)...There is no alternate ending. Super Troopers had an alternate ending. Maybe that's what's confusing people...So I would say, if you feel like buying both, good for you. If you want to buy one of them, good for you. If you want to buy neither, good for you. Just don't think that Broken Lizards are trying to rip you off. We would just as soon pluck out our own testicles with ice tongs."

So...there you go. It would have been nice to know this about a week ago.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
They couldn't have told us that two weeks ago?

Anyway, I'll just sell this version on eBay and wait for the unrated version.

I think that this time we'll maybe even get a version of a movie that carries the "Unrated" tag for a reason and not just as a marketing ploy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I would not be too hasty, if the current DVD did not sell well, they may not want to put out the unrated edition.

It is a bit disheartening to hear that Fox now is getting in on this racket to attempt to hold back special features so they can sell a premium priced "deluxe edition" or an unannounced double dip down the line.

JerryCro

Auditioning
Put me down as loving "Club Dread" also ! I fell asleep watching "Super Troopers"...just didnt get into it. But growing up watching Jason movies, I loved the serious nature of the horror with some hilarious humor thrown in the mix. If you grew up the 80's like I did , you will love this one. Coconut Bob's songs are frickin' awesome :D "Margaritaville???"

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any news on the unrated version?

On the Broken Lizard website they said it'll be released "in the fall".

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
This thread was moved to the Review Archive - so I'll start a new thread about this in the normal forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks