What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - (EXTREEMELY RECOMMENDED) (2 Viewers)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The extras here were aimed at the children's market not the film collector - hence - games, coloring pages, sing-a-longs etc.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Exactly.

The Vault Disney releases somehow managed
to aim things at kids in the extras department,
while also pleasing the film buff.

I wish this could have been done in a similar vein.

If extas are not your "thing",
you probably wont carp.

RudolphT

Agent
Thought it was great.

Only problem is it would not play on the LiteOn 2001. 1st disc that got tripped up.

Tim

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what you are talking about with the "intermission" Just like the laserdisc, the DVD (Widescreen side anyway) has the intermission break and the en'tre act.at least on the DVD I bought.
Maybe that's why I didn't notice the "omission"...guess they were there after all... :D

Not sure which to feel more foolish about...having first thought I had missed it or having realized I missed *not* having missed it...ok not I'm confusing myself :confused:

-dave :)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Writing good DVD reviews is harder than it looks.

I'm willing to cut you some slack and I'm sure others will as well.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well crap, I have a bad disc!

I played about 1/2 of it last week (with no problem), and when I went to resume last night, I got through chapter 16, but it locked my player (Denon 1600) when it went to chapter 17. I mean locked up tight. I could only eject. When it was doing that, I got a black screen. I though it must be the Intermission, but nothing was happening, and I could hear my player clicking. WTF?

The disc was pristine. I tried it in a Sony 650D, and it too locked at the same spot. I went to the chapter selection page, and when I tried to select chapter 17 (or anything beyond) it just froze.

I looked very closely at the disc, and it appeared that there was an area of very, very slight discoloration on the disc surface toward the outer edge. I would say it made the gold color of the disc look slightly darker.

You had to look really hard to see it. Not sure if thats the issue or not, but it did look odd.

I have DVD since 1998, and have over 200 discs....this is the first time I have had a bad disc. Oh well, the law of averages seems to finally have caught up with me.

Back to Target for a new one so I can finish the movie.

BGL

Jerry_Kill

Auditioning
Another bad disc to report here...at about the 1:30 mark...chapter 21. Locks, skips to the next chapter. Some picture breakup in chapter 22 as well. Is there a layer change here? No discoloration on my disc. Playing on a Philips DVD711, admittedly old school player in DVD years. Only other MGM disc to have problems was On The Beach (my collection is around the 700 mark). And of course Disney/Philips have well known compatability problems, I have a stack of 5 Disneys that do not play at all. I plan on buying a Denon 1600 soon, so the previous post of problems with CCBB has me worried, as this is a must have title for me (that darn child catcher). Hopefully I will be able to watch the Disneys with the new player.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I plan on buying a Denon 1600 soon, so the previous post of problems with CCBB has me worried, as this is a must have title for me (that darn child catcher). Hopefully I will be able to watch the Disneys with the new player.
Got my new disc Sunday, but have not tried it. Will advise as soon as I do.

Layer changed can do weird stuff depending on the disc and player (I figure you know that with 700 discs!). FWIW, the 1600 is not the best at layer changes, but it has never puked completely. It has been fine (other than the normal pause) with the Disney stuff I have (quite a few, since I have a 5 year old).

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Tried the new disc at lunch...seems OK. I did not play it through, but had no problem accessing Chapter 18 and onward.

I would guess I just got unlucky with my first disc.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks