What's new

HTF REVIEW: Charmed - The Complete Second Season (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Charmed - The Complete Second Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1999 - 2000

Rated: NR

Length: 15 hours 54 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English Stereo

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 USD

Release Date: September 6, 2005

The Power of Three continue to charm me in the second season release of Charmed on DVD.

I’m a Charmed newbie. I had only seen two or three disjointed episodes on television until the Season One DVD set came my way. I just had to watch this set all the way through, in order... I’m getting hooked.

The actors have grown into their roles, the storytelling has gotten tighter and more threaded, and the show is just better in season two than it was in season one. While I still find myself comparing the show to one of my all time favorites, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, the show has found a separate and distinct identity for me.

This DVD set contains all 22 episodes from season two, spread over six discs housed in double thinpacks.

The Transfers
Displayed in its native aspect ratio of 1.33:1, Charmed delivers a nice, if only slightly imperfect presentation on DVD.

The set presents us with excellent contrast. Black levels are very good, while maintaining good detail in the shadows. Whites are bright, clean and neutral - and never bloom. Colors are well rendered, with accurate values and saturation.

The episodes could be a bit sharper, but they have an acceptable level of detail for television product. I noticed less in the way of digital noise, aliasing and moire, which I found detrimental in season one.

The Dolby Digital Stereo soundtrack offers up excellent frequency response and good channel separation across the front soundstage. The Pro-Logic mode on your Dolby amplifier will produce some ambient sounds in the rear channels, but mostly music reverb. Bass response in the music is nice. For a two channel track, this is good - essentially the same as I heard in season one.

The Extras
There are none, beyond Paramount’s semi-forced trailers for other Paramount DVD product.

Final Thoughts
This show is becoming an addiction... and it is well presented in this season two set. If only there were some extras...

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I can't wait to dig into this set! While I think season 3 is my favorite of the series overall, this is a close second. It also contains my favorite episode of the entire series, Morality Bites. That's just a classic episode.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
season 2 is definately my second fave season (after 3). The show really lost something when Shannen was fired at the end of season 3. I wonder if the show would've jumped the way it has if she stayed and Milano had left.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks for the review... I can't wait for my set to arrive... shipped last week so hoping it will be here today. :D

I completely love Charmed... both with Shannen and without. Charmed has to be one of my all-time favorite shows.

Now I just can't wait till Nov. for season 3! :D

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I really loved the first three seasons of Charmed. I'm not sure exactly when but sometime after the third season I lost interest. I think initially it just had a bit more a of serious look and feel to it that just isn't there anymore. I think I even liked most of the fourth season as well although I don't remember it very well. I guess you could say it jumped the shark but I can't quite place my finger on how or when that happened. I still watch the show regularly but something just isn't quite the same.

Anyway, I picked up season two today and I look forward to seeing it again.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
It jumped the shark when theu introduced fairies, leprecauns and the girls died all the time

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I don't know... I may be to easily pleased... but I still enjoy every minute of it... Though I am a little concerned how they will handle the new season.

BTW.... I got my season 2 set in the mail yesterday! I am in the middle of another set right now... but can't wait to revisit season 2 again! :)

Christi P

Agent
I just started to watch the first season, and I am really enjoying it. I have heard it goes downhill over the years - when would be a good place to stop watching (since I don't want to buy the 'downhill' years on DVD)?
I know that Shannon Doherty leaves after the third year - is that a good place to stop?

Christi P.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Christi...
Of course this is a matter of opinion... as I said... I really enjoy every year... but there is alot of good episodes in season 4 and 5. To tell someone else where to stop is hard to do... I would honestly say.. just keep on buying them till you just don't enjoy them enough anymore to continue.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the first 3 seasons were my fave, season 4 was still good, the best of the Paige seasons, seasons 5 and 6 were spotty, good episodes and sucky episodes, but season 7 was the worst, maybe three episodes I liked. I was surprised to see it renewed because they all seemed like they were over it in season 7. Who really wants Kaley Cuoco on the show, seriously?

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Just started in on the set. One of my favorite episodes is in this season - "She's a Man, Baby, a Man!" I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but if you haven't, you're in for a real treat. Some people disagree with me on this, but the overarcing story of Phoebe and Cole that started in season 3 and continued for I can't remember how long was truly great story writing. Cole just kept falling deeper and deeper and managed to come back more powerful.

I won't complain about the leprecaun ep. Pat Benetar was in that one, even if only briefly.

I think it's most definitely worth continuing on. However, what really annoyed me last year was the addition of Nick Lachey and then Billy Zane, even if only for a few episodes. Can't stand those guys' acting. Others might.

HMC forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks