What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I've gotta agree with this comment. Just watched Kronos last night and was VERY pleasantly surprised at the quality of the transfer. On my 57" ISF'd Hitachi HDTV monitor it looks stunning! Amazing detail, depth, and very little EE.

Now if only Paramount could have done this well on Dragonslayer. Yikes! One of the worst recent transfers I've watched.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Now if only Paramount could have done this well on Dragonslayer. Yikes! One of the worst recent transfers I've watched.
Funny... every review I've read about Dragonslayer (including my own) gives the transfer high marks. I'm wondering if we watched the same thing...

I'll stand by my recommendation.

-Scott

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't want to hijack the thread here Scott, but I found Dragonslayer to be somewhat soft, excessively grainy and muddy, with murky shadow detail. I'm not used to watching it on old VHS copies however and am not a huge fan of the film. But in my opinion the Kronos transfer is vastly superior.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Doug, sounds like you're complaining about a facet of the print that was built into the film's original look. While I never saw it in theaters, I did see it from it's very first cable TV viewing. It's always looked like that.

The DVD looks great. Just like it ought to.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
If you've ever seen the laser disc, which was the best presentation up to the dvd, you'd know what an improvement the dvd is, in both picture and sound. Absolutely no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks