What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Bubba Ho-Tep - Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well,...

i just watched this.
i believe i am open minded and look forward to watching movies that are out of the ordinary.

but i just did not like this one.

yes it had a few funny scenes and a couple of touching moments, but it was just not interesting beyond the joke of the old elvis and the black guy(davis) who thinks he's JFK.

i'm a big fan of campbell and the evil dead movies.
this just didnt work for me

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've been waiting for this DVD for a while since I never got to see it in the theater. Love Bruce and the Evil Dead stuff, so I'm very much looking forward to picking this up Tuesday.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
TonyD,

Sorry you didn't like this one! Believe me, I had some reservations before the first time I saw it too. At least you gave it a shot, and that is what it is all about...you never know when you'll find a new favorite film!

Regards,

Jason

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Love Campbell and JR Landsdale, but I didn't care for the movie very much. Too much of a cheezy saturday morning Land of the Lost feel to it.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this one blind and watched it last night. I have to say, I absolutely LOVED it! It was probably one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while. I really had no idea what to expect from it, but I found myself laughing out loud and even being moved at times. Bruce Campbell really gave a terrific performance and brought such heart to the Elvis character.
It's definitely not for everyone, but I think its bizarreness is one of the reasons I was so drawn to it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
DVDFile said...."In today's Hollywood, where the drive-in has disappeared, the B-movie is now direct-to-video fodder for Blockbuster and every major studio has its own "indie" division, Bubba Ho-Tep is the last, great stand of the genre movie."

I agree.What a fun movie and I appreciate the effort that went into it.This was a labor of love for those involved and I think it shows.

I smiled thru the entire thing.:emoji_thumbsup:

Also, what a great score!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm not so sure about that.
i have seen 2 listings.
also at dvdpricesearch.com

Bubba Ho-Tep (Collectable Packaging) $16.38 $27.95

Bubba Ho-Tep: Special Edition $17.99 $27.98 2004-05-25

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
The cover of the CE, which is all I found on the shelves, had a sticker saying that the special cover (slipcase) and "scrapbook" would only be available for a limited time. I'm guessing after stores sell through the current lot, we'll start seeing it without the slipcase.....

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
:D This movie had me grinning a lot. I thought that Bruce Campbell was amazing as Elvis.

Ossie Davis was so serious as he portrayed "Jack". "They dyed me all over" and "Want a chocolate ding-dong?" had me laughing so hard due to the way he was playing his role so straight. Hard to believe he is 86(as stated in the commentary).

Good movie :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: .

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Hard to believe he is 86"

I said the same thing.

He looks about 20 years younger.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Did anyone else notice some fairly pervasive crackling in the dialogue? It must not be a widely held opinion since out of the dozen or so reviews I've skimmed through online, only one person said so.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought I heard it as well. It wasnt very clear,I couldnt play it very loud as my brother has a friend with a infant visiting this week.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Was it me? If not, you have TWO people who said so:

"The track lost a few points for the quality of the speech. The lines consistently sounded intelligible and reasonably natural, but they suffered from sporadic bouts of edginess."

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

DVD-Basen hadn't posted a link to your review when I checked this morning, but it's up now. UpcomingDiscs.com was the other site that had mentioned it. I didn't think that issue with the dialogue was a particularly big deal, but I did find it a bit odd that it went by largely unnoticed.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow, was this film a disapointment. After reading so much ranting & raving on the internet, I was expecting a lot and it turns out that "Bubba Ho-Tep" is a real bore.

and that's coming from a big Campbell/"Evil Dead" fan.

:thumbsdown:

This just didn't live up to the hype.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting that reactions to Bubba Ho-tep seem to be so polarized. I watched it last night and personally loved the movie. Sure the mummy angle was somewhat undeveloped, but this film is really about the redemption of Bruce Campbell's Elvis character. Viewed from that perspective I was pleasantly surprised. Campbell makes the movie much more than the sum of its parts with his heartfelt, nuanced, and humorous performance. In the midst of all the that weirdness I really believed that he WAS The King. It's no small feat when an actor can pull off making some guy wasting away in an east Texas nursing home and claiming to be the real Elvis Presley the grounded center of the film. I was expecting more a more horror-centric story, but Campbell made me forget all that about 10 minutes in. A good and *interesting* film in my opinion.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this movie for the first time Saturday night. I picked it up blindly and glad I did. What a HOOT!!! However I found a problem with the soundtrack so I thought I would check this thread it see if it was just me or not.

There were several instances throughout the movie where if someone made a loud noise, it would distort and crack a bit. Not terribly bad or too distracting. However, in the scene where Elvis is reading the paper Jack handed him at the end of the movie, the sound coming out of Elvis's mouth was so shrill and cracked I thought something happened to my center channel! It concerned me so bad that I hooked another speaker up as my center and watched the scene again. (same shrill noise).

I am still glad I purchased the movie and I do realize that this was a very low budget production. It's just nice to see that I wasn't crazy. Because I too had started with looking at the on-line reviews. I have to admit I was a bit surprised that the audio track for this disk got such high marks from so may reviewers. The Review by Colin was the only one that mentioned the issue at all.

Thanks Colin!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks