What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It is an upset when a film like "Brokeback Mountain" picks up about every Best Picture prize during the Award season; is the favorite to win the Oscar and Doesn't. I will not go into what I feel the reasons for it losing, because the forum will really go into a different direction.

I'm sorry if I upset anybody with my remarks. But I think I expected more from HTF for a film that has had such a strong impact. To me HTF has always set the highest standards and I really felt disappointed by the so-so review.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand why fans of the movie can feel defensive of it. Especially after the Academy Awards where you had voters like Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine brazenly and publicly stating that they refuse to watch a film about homosexuals. It makes you wonder how many Academy members felt the same and did not express it. Then you have people like Sarah Jessica Parker saying she lets her kid vote for Best Picture. The Oscars reek of... something.

However, I think the review is fair enough. I am a little surprised that based on the positive nature of the review that it did not get a recommended, but that's the reviewer’s prerogative I guess.

Like many others here, Brokeback was my favorite movie of the year. It's difficult not to become emotional over something that you love, but I think everyone should try to remain objective and respect the opinion of the reviewer.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't surprised to hear that Tony Curtis felt that way about a movie dealing with homosexuality. I mean, back in his day, men were men, women were women, and the movies always reflected that. Naturally, he would never have had anything to do with a script that portrayed something other than traditional heterosexual roles. The mere thought of it!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Why not? The specifics might go somewhere the forum can't, but the general reason won't. CONTENT. The same reason Fellowship of the Ring or Star Wars lost. The same reason Raging Bull lost to Ordinary People. The same reason, year after year, the Oscars pick what the Oscars pick. This is nothing new. This is nothing personal, though the fans make it so, because they care about the themes, or the original material (if adapted). I'd wager quite a few people specifically voted FOR the film for the same reason Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine wouldn't see it.

This is why I hop in the argument. You can't force your opinions on anyone. They don't want to see it? Their choice. The Oscars don't care...I'd wager almost all voters don't see all the nominees before voting. For a variety of reasons. Crash joins of a long list of films that might be seen as unworthy winners later. Brokeback Mountain joins a long list of films that many will think should have won. So what? It's NOTHING NEW, and NOTHING PERSONAL.

People keep equating Sam's review as the official HTF view on the film. I don't think that, Sam doesn't think that, and I doubt the mods think that. That's the issue. There is no HTF stance on BbM. There are a collection of opinions, mostly gushing. And probably more objective than most. When I read the HTF, I know it's movie first, agenda second (if at all). And by agenda, that can be pro-Star Wars, pro-Foreign Films, pro-Left Wing, pro-Right Wing, pro-Environment, whatever. I don't know that other places, which is why I like film discussion here.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

No, it's not. As part of their amazing privilege of being an Academy member - they are required to see all nominated films or not vote in the category.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well geez, I'll be glad to go there for you: Why of course, it's because the Academy is full of homophobes, everyone knew that. Why would you expect otherwise of a group mostly comprised of Hollywood actors, most of which I would wager live in and around that bastion of conservativism we call Los Angeles, CA?

Also, why the Saving Private Ryan/Shakespeare in Love upset? Well... umm... since it couldn't be because they actually thought that SiL was the better movie (what a farfetched idea!) and that there must be an agenda, we will just have to conclude that the Academy is largely anti-WWII. Or something.

Similarly for all the other upsets (Aviator/M$B).

--
H

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
There is a BIG difference between BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN's upset compared to the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN upset. Many Academy members either acknowledged NOT watching BBM or flat out refused to watch it. SAVING PVT RYAN did not lose because of a WWII Backlash. HOMOPHOBIA played a big part in the BBM loss. CRASH was not even a speck in the radar until Lion's Gate caught onto the Academy's resistance to BBM. They pretty much bought that Award.

Yes, CRASH will go down in history as the film the Academy chose because they didn't want to support a film about 2 men in love with eachother. It was the safe choice.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Privilege? Hell, Carrot Top is a member! The Academy knows not every nominated film is seen by all voters -- which is why the studios mount such expensive campaigns to influence voters. Besides, how could they possibly enforce such a requirement? With the recent piracy concern, the studios haven't been issuing as many screening copies, and I doubt the members make it a priority to get to the theater to see all films nominated -- if they're even playing.

The Academy voters are no different that any others when it comes to voting -- be it the Oscars or politics: sometimes it just becomes a "popularity" contest or wanting to be with the "in crowd."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Chris,
You actually think that happens? We had a saying in the military which sums up the effectiveness of such a mandate:

You get what you inspect, not what you expect.

They expect you to see everything, and probably say so every year they send the forms out. But there is no monitoring of the voters, nor ability to determine if they do it. Hence...it doesn't get done. It's a lip service requirement.

For H: SiL won for the same reason Crash did, or A Beautiful Mind. It got more votes. Why did it get more votes? A variety of reasons. The largest voting bloc is actors. SiL is very actor-friendly. Just like, hmmmmmmm, Crash. Which boasted a much larger pool of established and popular talent than did BbM, which had great acting from some young actors. Why do directors who used to be actors seem to win a lot more than, say, Hitchcock or Scorcese? Gee, I wonder :)

Certainly, homophobia played a role with a few voters, just as the perceived "agenda" (of which the film itself HAS NONE) probably earned it a few votes. That's the Oscars, and if you are just now figuring that out, congrats. It happens to all film fans at some point.

There is no best picture of a year. Not really. Using a bunch of critics to bolster your film is no more objective than using Box Office or the People's Choice Awards (which have a lot more voters, but a much narrower field of nominees). If you think BbM was the best film of the year...Congrats! Many people share that opinion. Whether Sam or the Oscars do is irrelevant. It's your opinion. Cherish it.

You'll never convince me, because I saw a better film, one that means more to me, and one I feel is better in almost all filmmaking categories. A lot less people saw it, it got no media attention upon release, and it made no money. It doesn't change my opinion in the least.

Are we saying Sam should CHANGE his personal opinion because of OTHER REVIEWERS?

MattHR

Screenwriter

You could also say anti-homophobia played a big part in its success. How else could this "little" film have made over $80m in the U.S. alone? The film has more than proven itself -- in spite of the losing the Oscar.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

I'm not trying to convince you of everything. I actually agree with what you said.

Art is subjective. While I still feel Brokeback's loss was curious, there is no point in dwelling on it. (Even though I kind of am...)

:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great review Sam.

Unfortunately, some of the recent comments in this thread show a total lack of respect for one's opinion. Amazing how some are demanding to be agreed with. How dare anyone disagree with their opinion?

Wild speculation, conspiracies, presumptions, etc. as to why BBM lost. Comments like these only lead to embarassment.

How about Crash is just a better film. In every way.

Which it is.

The Academy got it right.

In my opinion, that is.

P.S I loved BBM too.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nice to see you express your opinion Chris.

Ditto:D

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

I'm saying that Sam should at least revise the title of his review to "RECOMMENDED". I base this statement on the merits of the film.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It is intriguing that two films about tolerance do not seem to have generated any.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Actually, you are basing this statement on your opinion of the merits of the film, not Sam's.

Don't you think that we are all entitled to our opinions?

- Steve

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

I completely disagree. Brokeback Mountain has affected millions for the better. Trash, I mean Crash, is fading fast. Many Blacks despise it's Oscar win because they "know" it was used to deny Brokeback the BP award.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks