What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the Academy Awards has become more of a popularity contest than a show that is supposed to award the best in Arts and Sciences.

Being as it may, I respect Sam's opinion, but I'm not necessarily going to agree with all he says, but I respect it. And not everyone is going to agree with my comment that 'Crash' is one of the worst films to win Best Picture, but that's just my opinion too.

What amazed me about 'Brokeback Mountain' is that Ang Lee was able to make the the land of BBM a character of it's own. Too bad the DVD didn't have a commentary, but the transfer looked pretty darn good on my brand new spanking Panasonic plasma display! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm just glad there has been a good sense of humor in the topic.

some have been closed because of not being able to, in the past.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it was ever anything other than a popularity contest at heart. The studios originally designed it as another outlet for promoting their films, which hasn't changed since then.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

I agree that's true. If it hadn't been for the nominations I wouldn't have purchased Capote or The Squid and the Whale. Brokeback Mountain DVD sales certainly seem to be benefiting from the Oscar attention.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Talk about your glutton, I've just purchased my third DVD of Brokeback Mountain (and I have the screener, too).

The first one I bought, without the silver border.

Now I've got the one with the silver border, in widescreen AND fullscreen.

Oy. I like it, I really like it.

:D

MattHR

Screenwriter

No wonder the sales figures seem so high for this title! :) I'll bet Randall has at least that many copies himself!

DeeF

Screenwriter
Heh.

I don't normally buy the fullscreen editions (since I have a 50" high-def plasma) but in this case, I've been told by some reliable sources that the fullscreen is only 1/4 pan and scan, the other 3/4s actually open matte.

So you can see... more stuff.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, Brokeback was shot Academy standard flat. Films intended for projection at 1.85:1 are rarely shot in Super35.

M.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Sometimes it's hard to tell, these days. When I saw it in the theatre, it was projected at at least 2:1. That theatre tends to use 2:1 as a "universal" ratio -- cropping scope films' sides, while matting flat films at the top/bottom.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I don't know how the movie was shot, but I'm watching the Fullscreen DVD now, simultaneously with the Widescreen (I've got two DVD players attached to my plasma).

The Fullscreen definitely shows more information, top and bottom. The Widescreen has been cropped to its ratio.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson

Most 1.85:1 fullscreen versions are open matte like that, since most 1.85:1 films are shot spherically using the full 1.37:1 negative and matted for theatrical exhibition. Still, they're composed for 1.85:1 ratio. Compositions often look awkward without the mattes, and sometimes they don't work at all, leading to cropping. OAR is still the way to go. It's not just about "seeing more stuff."

DeeF

Screenwriter
I know all about that, Kyle. I saw the movie 5 times, and I have 2,200 DVDs, and this is the first fullscreen edition I have bought on purpose.

But yes, one can see more picture, which pleases me to no end.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Uh... I think this is one film where I WILL be buying the full screen disc. :D

"Brokeback Mountain: The Crotch Shot Edition."

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh come on, guys, it's just an inch here, an inch there, a... a... where was I? Oh damn... No! OAR! OAR! Uh... Uh... excuse me while I go to Walmart and see if they have the fullscreen disc...

(Steve discovers the secret to making Brokeback Mountain the end-all, be-all gay-themed film.)

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks