What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Below" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

EricWy

Auditioning
This was one that I missed in theaters as well but wanted to see. Will need to pick it up. Dimension did the same crappy promotion job for Equilibrium as well. At least I managed to see that one in the theaters despite them not promoting it (and it's definitely worth picking up when it makes it to DVD, but that's another thread)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Twohy has becomed the "little director that could" IMHO. He seems to specialize in turning out films that are apparently dismissed by folks as simple little genre films without recognizing that there's something new and different about them. It was true for The Arrival, it was true for Pitch Black, and now it's true for Below.

What a great little film -- far scarier and much more creepy than The Ring. One criticism I've heard about Below is that it's not much more than an extended Twilight Zone episode. I can see that, but I don't think Below was ever trying to be something more than what it is: a really good and really enjoyable film.

The DVD also looks amazing. Very, very sharp and clear. I'm looking forward to listening to the audio commentary, and am honestly glad to have picked this up based on Twohy's track record.
By the way -- did anyone else think the stingray sequence (when they go outside the sub to try and fix the leak) was a visual nod to the Pitch Black aliens?

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ah yes, Below. Released at nearly the same time as the abysmal Ghost Ship, this far superior haunted boat movie was completely buried by the studio, almost no promotion at all. Ain't It Cool News tried to drum up some attention for it, but to no avail. Those screencaps look fantastic! I'm definitely picking this up at the earliest opportunity.

Dan M

Second Unit
Folks, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of picture quality this is as good as dvd gets. Truly amazing. If only every dvd release could be as good, I could wait indefinitely on HD-DVD.

Why is it that a little unkown movie like BELOW can get such a transfer while a major title like ROAD TO PERDITION gets a mediocre one?

Decent movie BTW. Think I'll add this to my collection.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hmmm... well after reading all these positive comments, I'll be running to rent this one... then I'll probably buy, considering how much I enjoy Pitch Black and The Arrival! :) Hell.. maybe I'll just blind-buy it. :D

Thanks for the review!

ErichH

Screenwriter
This is not quite up to Pitch Black, but it's definitely a keeper for me. I like this directors style.
There were many places where they could have bailed out for a cheap thrill and didn't. The spooky stuff is subtle, and it works for the story.
The PQ and sound are excellent.
Twohy is on my `Must Watch' list. Like Fincher, he seems to have that something that's missing from the Speilberg's and Soderbergh's that seem to be hung up on graining and color casting more than giving us a good story.
Eric

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Watched it last night, and WOW. I was so impressed by this movie. How often do you get to see them using the draglines to find a submarine? The sound could have used a little more in the surrounds, but the picture quality was outstanding!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
oops,

RTPerdition with a mediocre transfer.
Guess some of us have our eyes open.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
[q]Folks, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of picture quality this is as good as dvd gets. Truly amazing. If only every dvd release good be as good, I could wait indefinitely on HD-DVD[q]

my sentiments exactly.

i ran out about right before the store closed to grab this last night.
entertaining, but i didn't find it nearly as scary as some of the posts here have hyped.
it wasn't a bad movie, and i did enjoy it, but i probably should have just rented it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
the transfer is good, not great (ie. I've seen better).

some of the dark scenes are pretty 'murky'.

cheers

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Watched "Below" last night and loved it. The ending wasn't quite as top notch as the rest of the flick. I also didn't feel that the transfer was quite a good as some of the others here, not saying it's awful or anything, in fact it's quite good, but I noticed a decent bit of grain on occasion.

Anyway, "Below" has been the flick I've been recommending to my friends all day long.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for the review Ron - picked this up at lunch.

Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also bought this one blind as I am a sucker for Sub and horror films so this one was a no brainer.

Very much enjoyed it. Creepy with some imaginative scares and a decent, if not wholly original, story.

Good transfer and the only grain I really noticed was in the flashback scenes, which I assume was deliberate.

Reccommended.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Alan_Horner:
You might be right about that one(in spoiler). I never though about it but I can definately see it now that you mention it.

A side note: What happened to Pitch Black II?? I thought I had read(where..I don't know) that there would be a sequel.

Any more info on this?

Chet Fletcher

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think we had a "Pitch Black II : Chronicles of Riddick" thread in Movies a while ago. Search is overloaded right now, but it should be findable in that forum.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
What happened to Pitch Black II?? I thought I had read(where..I don't know) that there would be a sequel.

Any more info on this?
I found this information:

Release Date: June 25th, 2004 (wide)

Release Date Note: (2/10/03) This film has spent the last year having its production start date pushed back a few months at a time so that there was a point at which it was tentatively scheduled for release in the summer of 2003 instead of 2004.

Title Note: (6/6/02) Originally announced as "The Chronicles of Riddick", Michael Fleming of "Variety" reports that the title of this "Pitch Black 2" has been shortened down to just "Riddick." (10/14/02) Talking to JoBlo.com David Twohy has confirmed that this first film in the Riddick trilogy will indeed be called "The Chronicles of Riddick", and will not use the phrase "Pitch Black 2" in the title. (2/4/03) The official title for this movie is indeed just "Riddick." It may end up being referred to as part of the "Chronicles of Riddick", but the title Universal is using is just that one word.

MPAA Rating Note: (5/28/00) The first movie had an R rating, so this sequel probably will too.

Distributor: Universal Pictures

Production Company: Radar Pictures (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Truck 44, They), One Race Productions (Vin Diesel's production company)

Cast: Vin Diesel (Riddick), Judi Dench (Aereon), Colm Feore (Lord Marshal), Ja Rule; other cast not yet announced.

Cast Notes: (2/10/03) It hasn't been confirmed yet, but according to Dark Horizons, Colm Feore may have joined the cast in an unspecified role. Feore is a Canadian character actor who's appeared in dozens of films; his most recent high-profile role is as the district attorney opposite Richard Gere in Chicago. (2/17/03) "The Hollywood Reporter" has confirmed the cast of Colm Feore, as well as Dame Judi Dench.

Director: David Twohy (The Arrival, Pitch Black; his latest film before this is Below)

Screenwriter: David Twohy (The Arrival, Warlock, Terminal Velocity)

Based Upon: This is the sequel to Pitch Black, based upon a story idea by David Twohy. This is the first of three planned sequels to that film, but whether the 3rd and 4th movies get made depends upon how well this second film does at the box office. If they do, Twohy is already signed on to direct.

Premise: The further adventures of Riddick (Diesel) continue, as the escaped convict with the ability to see in the dark finds himself caught in the middle of a galactic war between two opposing forces, with the key figure being Lord Marshal (Feore), the leader of a sect waging the "10th Crusade" in the 26th century. Helping Riddick is Aereon (Dench), the Ambassador of the "Elemental" race, who helps Riddick unearth the secrets of his origin.

Filming: Production is scheduled to start on April 28th, 2003 in Vancouver, and wrap up over four months later in mid-September, 2003. Production of this movie has been pushed back several times. The original start date was to have been in April, 2002, followed by August, then October and then December, 2002, February, 2003, and now, April, 2003.

Genre: Action, Eye Candy, Science Fiction, Sequel

Script Review: TNMC.org (note: this is a negative review of one of the old drafts that *isn't* going to be used... this version is from before the decision was made by Universal to make a 3-film action trilogy rather than just a horror sequel)

Preview Site: IGN FilmForce

Here is the link: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808405422

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My wife tried picking up BELOW at the local H*%*#wood Video and they not only didn't have it, but the clerk didn't even know the movie, hitting an all time "DUH!" Factor for that place (I worked as a video clerk for 5 years and kept on top of all the releases back in the day) Luckily, it's at another video store and I'll be renting it this weekend. So, not only did this movie get the shaft at the theater, but isn't getting much respect in my hometown video store either! :thumbsdown:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd LIKE to snag this, but can't find it! Not in Best Buy or Circuit City and THE WIZ is going out of Biz.... so no new releases. I might try the dreaded FYE but I'd prefer not to. Any tips for NYC...????

:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks