What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Bad Santa (The Unrated Version)... (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I did not even see a single Bad Santa disc at lunch time today, the chain stores I visited only had Badder Santa. Online sources have conflicting info re the Alliance Bad Santa AR. For instance, though Future Shop didn't have any in stock so I could check, their web site says it's WS.

Thankfully, the Alliance release seems the same as the U.S. one re feature/extras content, except with French DD5.1 too. The front cover even looks the same because the French title is extremely tiny...though there is French on the spine and back for those who worry about that stuff.

[FWIW, Wal-Mart has slightly the best price (this disc is typically a little more than 1-disc new releases here), and check out the large number of new-today half-decent Columbia titles in their bargain bin.]

Edit: The Alliance Bad Santa is WS for sure, saw it today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they do differ.

i watched the badder version and there is no ritter tribute.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they do differ.

i watched the badder version and there is no ritter tribute.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Can someone give me a rough idea if I'll like this movie based on some other movies that I may have liked?

This line alone has pretty much sold me on buying it sight unseen.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Can someone give me a rough idea if I'll like this movie based on some other movies that I may have liked?

This line alone has pretty much sold me on buying it sight unseen.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Tony D,

I read a review of both DVDs over at dvdtalk. Neither the "R" nor the "unrated" review mentions the Ritter tribute, so it seems like this was dropped. No commentary on the R-version either.

Chris

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Tony D,

I read a review of both DVDs over at dvdtalk. Neither the "R" nor the "unrated" review mentions the Ritter tribute, so it seems like this was dropped. No commentary on the R-version either.

Chris

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review!

I'm going to go pick this up for only $12.72 over at DDD.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review!

I'm going to go pick this up for only $12.72 over at DDD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats too bad, and oddly enough on the blockbuster cover on the back in the description area, it lists the ritter tribute as one of the special features.
this is for the unrated version.
so apparently bbv expected the tribute to be on the unrated version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats too bad, and oddly enough on the blockbuster cover on the back in the description area, it lists the ritter tribute as one of the special features.
this is for the unrated version.
so apparently bbv expected the tribute to be on the unrated version.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I looked at the back cover of the R-rated "Bad Santa" at DVDEmpire and it looks to be pretty much the same as "Badder Santa." Watched my copy of the unrated vesion last night. The added footage works very well-- and don't forget to watch the deleted scenes!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I looked at the back cover of the R-rated "Bad Santa" at DVDEmpire and it looks to be pretty much the same as "Badder Santa." Watched my copy of the unrated vesion last night. The added footage works very well-- and don't forget to watch the deleted scenes!

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Bought it and watched it last night. Haven't lauged that hard for a long time. Has major replayability (if that's a word).
Thanks for the recommend.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I thought Dimension doesn't release unrated versions because they are own by Disney. Does this mean there is a chance of seeing an unrated Scream now?

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Well I certainly had high hopes from this film because of all the positive reviews. I must say, however, I was disapointed in the end. This film was vulgar and crude just to try to shock, IMO. And if that worked for you that's fine. I just thought all of the cussing and drinking got really old about 1/2 way into the film. For me it was no longer funny and it was just too much. I guessed I laughed out loud no more than 3 or 4 times.

I mean I was expecting a nasty film, but I was hoping for more wit and cleverness. Maybe my expectations were just too high. I would give the film a "C" rating. I would say a rental at best.

However if you are a fan of the movie the DVD does have a pretty nice transfer and the DD 5.1 is better than expected for a comedy. The extras aren't that great, but it could be worse.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the film and did laugh out loud several times. I would have totally agreed with Jonathan, except that the second half seemed to pick up on development and, even though it was very predictable, I always get a good feeling from bullies getting their asses kicked.

I also am fascinated by Billy Bob in almost any role he's in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks