What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Anchorman (Unrated, Uncut & Uncalled For) (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
"The day you see Champ Kind on one of those things (Handglider) is the day I make love to a man!"
(Next scene shows Kind on the Handglider)
"Whammy!"

My favorite character is Brick...Steve Carrell steals the show!

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Appreciate the review--I agree the transfer was soft.

I also want to say that there are only two comedies where I have laughed so hard that my stomach and chest hurt--Anchorman and Something About Mary. Both movies I saw more than once in the theater.

Yes, this movie is not going to be funny to everyone, but for those that like this type of humor, by Neptune's trident, you're gonna laugh. A lot.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Seriously, $24.99 for 3 discs of solid, I mean SOLID extras. You really can't go wrong. This movie was so amazingly funny to me. I can't stress on how much everyone needs to see this movie and the extra discs.

End rant ;)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Contrary to popular belief swearing is both big and clever . This disk will find its way into my collection as soon as the Christmas debts are paid off .

Thanks for the review Michael , even if I'm not sure what 'adult' humor could possibly be ! Buster Keaton ?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Alright I finally got around watching Anchorman... last night (Wake Up, Ron Burgundy is next).

I have say that I disagree with everyone who says that the video transfer is flawed. Yes, the picture is soft - but that's the way it is supposed to look. The picture was soft in the theater as well - It's all part of the "joke".

Afterall - the movie is supposed to be 30 year old footage from the mid-1970's. ;)

If anyone was holding back on purchasing these DVDs because of negative reviews regarding the PQ - there is nothing to worry about. Any 'defects' in the PQ are minimal.

I watched it on a 57" Widescreen and to be honest, "Anchorman" looks better than a lot of other DVDs that I have purchased recently. While it (the video transfer) won't win any awards, I think it's safe to say that it's overwhelmingly average.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I found an easter egg on the Best Buy disc. It's a deleted scene of Baxter's funeral. To access this, when the little pointer thing is on Today's Headlines, press the right directional button on your remote.

And also...its mindboggling how much material was shot for this movie. To have a movie, another movie entirely based on deleted scenes and subplots, deleted scenes for both movies, and more deleted/extended scenes on a BB disc...wow.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

This is exactly what I thought. As a matter of fact, I even fast forwarded through some of his scenes that I thought went on too long, espacially his crying scene in the telephone booth.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Nope, it was packaged with the gift sets. There was only 40 per store. Of course you can try ebay, but I know the Top Gun bonus disc is already going for 50 bucks.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

lol .. I agree.

The review was well written, but too well thought out for a movie of this caliber. There is no need to analyze this movie deeper that what it is ... a really funny vehicle for all involved.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I've thought of a new question. Has anyone got any info on the commentary track for the rated version and if it is different from the unrated commentary? I wouldn't think it would be, but I'm just wanting to make sure. It would be worth renting the Full Frame version just to hear a new commentary track.

Any info would be appreciated.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I bought this on recommendation of this thread (obviously not the review, but from others) and I really liked it. I've watched about half of WAKE UP RON BURGANDY and to be honest, I don't think it works AT ALL as a separate movie, but rather as a "pieced together" collection of alternate scenes/takes from the original (which is fine, don't get me wrong). Eh, you know what they say, WHEN IN ROME...

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I loved this movie.. very pleasant suprise! Two of my favorite scenes.. "I don't know what we're yelling about!!"........... " LOUD NOISES!"

And the brawl scene.. standing there in the middle of a brawl with a grenade yelling.. silly but priceless. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
someone on dvdtalk said the rated version has a different track.
but why would you rent the full screen version?
don't you have a hollywood or blockbuster near you. they almost all have wide versions for everything now.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau

Because the full frame edition is the only thing that is available for the theatrical cut.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Well, I thought Anchorman has to be one of the best movies to come out this year. I was seriously just sitting there for 90 minutes w/ a big stupid grin on my face becuase of all the absurd stuff that was taking place. This and "Wake Up Ron Burgundy" have become one of my favortie DVDs, and I have a lot of DVDs.
Even every single extra was worth watching over and over and over.

And that commentary...I actually wish more people did commentaries like this. We need more Lou Rawls talking about movies and having scat-offs dammit!! :D

Best part during the commentary was when Andy Richter and Paul Rudd were arguing over each other's film resumes.
Richter: "Well, at least I'm not the one sitting at home in his underwear looking at imdb.com" :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The problem with "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" is that it seems to be set up at the beginning to be a continuation of the actual movie, but "Wake Up" uses many of the same scenes and plot lines that were in the original film, some of which appeared in the Unrated cut of the original film. If this was supposed to be a continuation, then they have gone back in time. I mean, I know it's a film cobbled out of deleted scenes, but I was at least expecting them to jury rig some kind of new narrative if they were passing "Wake Up" as a new film and I'm thinking it is misleading passing this off as a new film when much of it consists of the same scenes as the main film with the addition of a deleted subplot. There really is no narrative that makes "Wake Up" anything more than a very long collection of deleted and extended scenes.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
OK, when Ron is playing the flute in the club, did anyone else notice that the flute sounds extremely staticky? I hope it's not just my speakers. :frowning: I just got them like a month ago and absolutely love them.

Clayton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks