What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: American Wedding - Extended Unrated Party Edition (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
So if they did use seamless branching, why keep the bitrate at around 5MBps, at least thats what it looked like on the meter on my player. The picture quality on this disc was pretty poor. The red push on many scenes was bad. It looked like I was watching something copied that had macrovision applied. Very disappointing disc for picture quality.
And as for January Jones, she was nice to look at occasionally, but Alyson Hannigan in this was......phew(wipes drool from chin).....just unbelieveable. She never dressed in revealing outfits or anything, but it was just the overall look and package that left me drooling through it all. This one line she had just got me going with her delivery, "What? Youve never tried it?" It was the look on her face and her voice.....oooooh.

Anyways, where was I?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, right after watching American Wedding on my set-up, we watched American Pie 2 --- which looks far better. Something definitely went wrong with American Wedding.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Is the full screen version simply open-matte? Since the Pie films aren't really special effects oriented, can one safely buy the full screen, or is it pan & scan?

Well, I would assume that this was shot Super35. So yes there should be some opening of the mattes, but there should be plenty of P&S as well. It really all depends on what the person who made the FS transfer did. Sometimes FS transfers of Super35 can have just as much cropping as a film shot anamorphically. That's not usually the case, but it can like that for some shots. For my two cents, the commercials for the DVD which are in FS did look cropped in many shots.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea why all the American Pie films have sub par transfers. American Pie 2 definately had the best transfer of the 3 and it wasn't a knockout. AP 1 was way too dark and I really don't know what was wrong with American Wedding. It just really didn't look good. I mean it's watchable but it is definately sub par.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
And the thing is Universal keeps releasing the same transfer on each multiple release.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Guys is there ANY possibility that the source material for these films is just bad? I know that sounds stupid but it kinda seems fishy that the transfers for ALL 3 of the American Pie movies are well bad. I know that this is probably not the case but this just seems really weird to me because these are just such high profile releases.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
the transfer on SIGNS was not that bad. It wasnt reference, but it wasnt horrifying. American Pie 2 had a decent transfer, but American Wedding is just cringe inducing. It is still watchable, but something is definitely wrong here.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the posts yet (since I didn't see the movie yet and wanted to avoid spoilers), but has anyone mentioned the size of the t-shirt????

Large???? Not to rip off the comic book guy but:
"I find their choice of sizes highly illogical since the average DVD movie watcher has no need for a large sized t-shirt" :D

It must be from all that popcorn and soda and sitting on my ass. ;)

I assume the large sized shirt is standard? Or is there a way to get an XL?

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the t-shirt is a large and I will never be able to wear it. I usually wear XXL but I could've worn an XL. Oh well I didn't buy it for the t-shirt anyways. The American Pie Revealed DVD is very well done.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't think it was EVER SAFE to by foolscreen over Widescreen....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless it was shot fullscreen to begin with, you know like films pre-1955, most TV shows...

Yeah, I know that. That's why I said 'foolscreen', to indicate I was talking about a MARd presentation. I suppose I should have made it clearer by saying it's never safe to buy MAR over OAR.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
I assume the large sized shirt is standard? Or is there a way to get an XL?

You Large and ExtraLarge people have had enough T-shirts!

The Small and Medium people are not going to let this stand. Try looking for T-shirts that AREN'T "XL" - you often can't. Some clothing lines don't even bother to manufacture jackets or button shirts in sizes Medium and Small (or if they do, stores aren't buying them). Shirts, heck, try looking for pants that fit a slim person.

The one exception to this rule was T-shirts for Xena Warrior Princess. Perhaps in recognition that women tend to be smaller than men, they made shirts in Medium.

But generally, T-shirts are made as XL so that everyone can wear them as nightshirts, I guess.

The Small and Medium sized people of America must rise up and stop the insanity. Most of us can't afford to visit countries where people are still regular sized to buy our clothes. Aaarg (battle cry).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Quote:
Large???? Not to rip off the comic book guy but:
"I find their choice of sizes highly illogical since the average DVD movie watcher has no need for a large sized t-shirt" LOL, I've been thinking the exact same thing. Actually, I even thought before I actually had the set that they'd probably be dumb enough to include an L-sized shirt making sure the average American Pie fan would never be able to wear it. So I can't say I was surprised.
Well, I was a bit surprised because I found I actually _could_ wear it, which means all that dieting over the past year has finally paid off. :)

Chris

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
You Large and ExtraLarge people have had enough T-shirts! Will_B, the door swings both ways...

The thing I've noticed is, whenever there are 'sales' at places like Old Navy, all there are are small, medium and larges. The XL's are always the first to go, so they are always left over with a ton of S, M, and L's which go on sale. I almost always have to pay full price for any XL because they never hang around long enough on the shelves to get reduced in price :D

and besides, if you are a medium, you can always wear a large or XL...those who are XL, can only wear XL...T-shirts aren't (if I may use a computer term) 'backwards compatible'.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Well that's true. Both OldNavy and their GapOutlet stores are very good about clothing the small and the medium. Indeed they're the only stores I've seen that regularly carry XS for men too.

But you know it isn't true that a medium can always wear a large or XL - the neck hole is too big, so a medium sized person looks emaciated if you wear a large or XL shirt (because their neck doesn't match the neck hole).

What was the original topic here? Oh yeah, Pie.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Quote:
I just found this article where they look at the American Pie Revealed disc, with DVD producer Josh Shader and American Pie creator/ writer Adam Herz.

Thanks for this. The Revealed disc rivals the best making of documentaries out there...and dare I say it could be the best. This easily beats out the Indy and Godfather documentaries. These guys should show them how it's done.

Saw the film....Didn't much care for it. The characters, especially Stifler , just weren't as likeable. I say skip it, but that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks