What's new

HTF REVIEW: "American Pie 2" (1 Viewer)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who noticed Ron's review shows a picture of the FULL SCREEN version!?!?!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
What is the world coming to....:D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I picked this up today sight-unseen and will be selling it tomorrow. The transfer and soundtrack are pretty good, but the movie itself was a big let-down in my book. :thumbsdown:

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I loved this film. I went to see Zoolander and left 30min through and snuck into AP2, Im so glad I did. That day I purchased the AP1UE disc. I love this AP2 disc, 4 commentaries, thats cool, and the outtakes were hilarious.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Oh yes, and theres a nice little easter egg. GO to the first page of extras and click the up button and highlight Bonus Materials at the top and click on it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Did anyone think that this movie was especially orange? I was watching it last night, and adjusted the color of my display halfway through. Looked like the movie was filmed during dusk. True, I haven't calibrated my display in quite awhile, but I didn't think it was that off.

Oh, referring to the unrated version.

Speaking of unrated parts, there's the part where

Jim's Dad goes off on the lady in the wheelchair at the hospital. Had us in stitches

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I think the orange is the way it's supposed to look. However, I did find the transfer to be particulary dark, exactly like the first one, and no, there is nothing wrong with my setup. Anyway...

Also, I bought the unrated version, but I'm actually regreting it a little now, as I saw this one in the theater and thought the R - rated version played much better. Who knows why they even bothered to release this version...

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
anyone else think the transfer was dark (yet again)?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I loved the movie and recommend the DVD.

The only thing I want to weigh in on is the "excellent transfer" Ron describes. I simply found it soft looking and not up to Universal's usually excellent standards. It does have some dark scenes in places and a somewhat orange glow I do not recall seeing in the theaters.

Lee

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: I am so glad i bought this... sight unseen too... Hilarious movie, funnier than the first, but I have somethings i didnt like about it:
1. Not as explicit as the First (Nothing in AP2 compares with the nadia bedroom scene!)
2. Oz and Heather ended up not having phone sex AT ALL!
3. Not enough of Heather ;)
4. Too much 'guy', not enough girls...
But still, even with those things i didnt like, it was funnier than the first... :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The Ultimate Edition would include BOTH the regular and unrated versions, but of course we know they won't do that. I got the R-rated version because that's the one that played in theaters; they could've released this with an NC-17 if they weren't so chicken (Universal put out the very first NC-17 rated movie, after all.) The unrated version doesn't have the French soundtrack either, which never ceases to crack me up :)

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
About the transfer.....

I too found it a bit dark, and a bit orange. I also detected this problem with my RATED copy of American Pie 2:

I noticed during the last couple chapters, that the video pulsated quite badly - especially during any camera pans (using my HTPC/ TheaterTek software to play/de-interlace the movie).

I checked this with some software that I have, and it appears that during the mastering, they forgot to set the PROGRESSIVE_FRAME flag to TRUE for these last couple of chapters. They are flagged incorrectly as INTERLACED, which really screws with de-interlacing. This issue would not be apparent if viewed on an interlaced display however.....which is probably why it got by QA..

Can anyone else verify this? Does it also occur in the UNRATED version.

Im pissed that this neglegence still occurs....Especially with a blockbuster like this....

Thanks,

-Ryan Dinan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I, too, found the transfer just a little bit on the dark side. However, it's not nearly the problem that first film had. I still can't believe they let that slip by like that with the first movie.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Agree on the transfer. It was pretty low APL even during daylight scenes (read oddly dark). Definitely were some oddities in the color, but unlike matrix I don't think we were supposed to understand we were in an alternate environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks