What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Amelie" (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
When a movie is so highly praised and you finally see it after a long period of expectation, it's bound to be a disappointment in some way.
Still, my wife and I enjoyed Amelie a lot! And it does take something of a miracle for me to enjoy a French movie.
Jan

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Actually, I thought the "melting" scene was an absolute perfect representation of how Amelie must have felt at that exact moment. That crushing feeling of being disappointed with yourself for having missed an enormous opportunity. Although I agree that visual effects can sometimes take away from the true emotion of a scene, I think that this effect combined with Amelie's expression and body language really fully realized the moment.
I loved this movie even more the second time through (same thing with The Royal Tenenbaums).

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Friggin' finally got my hands on Amelie at the rental shop.
Wow! I am completly impressed with this film. Totally awesome. Very cute, insightful...
Wow. You guys arent kinding, Audrey is an on-screen gem. I totally loved this movie!
I might have to buy it. ;)
:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I just rented this a few days ago and decided upon my second viewing of this wonderful film that I'm going to purchase it very soon. I just fell in love with Audrey Tautou and will definitely check out her earlier films. You were right on with your review Ron. I'm looking forward to your Jackie Brown review.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm happy to see Americans interested in something else then Hollywood productions. There is a nice cinematographic world outside of the U.S (think Star Trek here...). I'm French, but I speak english and italian. I feel sad that people on this board, that are ecstatic about films, sometimes limit themselves to Hollywood productions, and are missing pure gems coming from "outside". La Vita E Bella was a pure gem in italian for me, and is a pure gem in any language!!!
Do yourself a favor, and go rent or buy this movie.

Faites-vous une fleur, allez louez ou acheter ce DVD. Sublime consécration de la beauté naïve...

__________________________________________________ _____

Celui qui s'endort avec le cul qui pique se réveille avec le doigt qui pue...

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Here's a video clip of Audrey Tautou in one of her interviews. It's very interesting. Thanks to Henry Carmona who posted it in the official thread of this wonderful film in the Movies section. I hope he doesn't mind.
Celui qui s'endort avec le cul qui pique se réveille avec le doigt qui pue...
Tu es chanceux que la plupart des personnes ici ne comprennent pas le français, parce-que je pense pas que tu pourrais garder cette signature bien longtemps. ;)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Tu sais Steve, cette phrase n'est qu'un vieux proverbe chinois bien connu...
Ceci n'est pas ma signature habituelle... Un clin d'oeil a mes compatriotes québecois, si tu veux.
En passant, je suis de la Rive-Sud (extrême sud-ouest) moi aussi, une ville pas connu...St-Stanislas-de-Kostka.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Tu sais Steve, cette phrase n'est qu'un vieux proverbe chinois bien connu...
Ceci n'est pas ma signature habituelle... Un clin d'oeil a mes compatriotes québecois, si tu veux.
En passant, je suis de la Rive-Sud (extrême sud-ouest) moi aussi, une ville pas connu...St-Stanislas-de-Kostka.
Say what?:D

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Steeve ...

Thanks for that video clip ... I just wanted to hug and kiss Audrey Tautou after seeing that :b

She is so loveable ...

Gregory E

Second Unit
Je suis dans l'amour avec mademoiselle Amélie!
I just watched this movie for the first time tonight and I absolutely loved it! I just wanted to thank Ron and everybody else for the recommendation. If it weren't for you guys, I probably never would have seen this wonderful film.....:star::star::star::star:
She's just so cute!!!
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Sorry if my French is a bit off...I don't really speak the language. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to revisit this lovable movie. (Only time I've seen it was on a VHS screener!) :thumbsdown:
Solid review as always, Mr. E!

Gregory E

Second Unit
Je suis en amour avec mademoiselle Amélie!
You were pretty close, Gregory!
Ahhh...thanks! One of my best friends is from France....he would be ashamed of me!!! :D
Speaking of which, I went over to his house today and he has a really cool original Amélie
poster from France hanging on his wall. I'm so jealous!!!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I finally got around to watching this today, and I was floored. Fantastic film, and fantastic performances!

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Here are some pictures that fellow HTF member JohnRice captured for me:
Link Removed Link Removed
Link Removed
Enjoy!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Okay, I admit it. I'm in love with Audrey Tautou. The flawless skin, the dark eyes, ooohhhh that lovely neck. I was completely taken in by the charm of the film and the magnificent setting of Paris. (I've been lucky to see the real city, and while not as 'perfect' as the film image, it is still a remarkable, romantic city)

Is it just me, or is Ms. Tautou a bit reminiscent of another Audrey, Audrey Hepburn?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
FYI...
For those still wanting to purchase this DVD, Blockbuster has them in their previously-viewed aisle for $12.99 and are taking $2.00 off all previously-viewed DVDs....
...so picked this one up for only $10.99!

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Jenna, special thanks for the tip.

I've been waiting to find a good price on this magnificent film and I just picked it up for $9.99 at Blockbuster. In my area it's $3.00 off every used title. I also picked up Gosford Park for $6.99 and A Beautiful Mind for $$6.99.

Not to bad.

Thanks again Jenna !:b

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks