What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: A Night At The Opera (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

How odd how our tastes change....Duck Soup is certainly my favorite. It's the only one I purchased from the early Image offerings, and I'm certainly glad that I did so. Woody Allen even featured it as a clip in Hannah And Her Sisters......

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
It doesn't have an insert.

Warner has changed to using amaray cases, but they still need changing to using inserts. Or to using clear amarays. Black amarays without inserts look cheap.....

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Just to clarify the Marxes never made any films for Warner Brothers as indicated in the review these films were originally released by MGM, RKO and United Artists. I've started to sample the boxset and am enjoying it.

I watched A Night In Casablanca which I hadn't seen in years and that looks great. The weird Joe McDoakes short didn't impress that much. I enjoyed the Benchley short on the A Night At the Opera disc more, like the best of these shorts based on a simple idea.

The Trocadero one is mostly filler and apart from a performance from Connie Boswell is pretty forgettable though interesting for its curiosity value. The Groucho interview is good to have but frustratingly short. The doc is fine for beginners but not really very revealing and does Dom DeLuise eat canaries in his spare time !

The main thing is to have these films on DVD though and for the most part this is another great effort from Warners. The boxset is definitely the way to go as you basically get four more films for free with extra shorts and cartoons.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"... and two hardboiled eggs."

So, I found a dealer who was willing to break the street date. Just about a block or two away from the dealer, I ran out of gas and had to go back home. Then I came back and got about a block from the dealer, and I then ran out of gas again and I had to go back home ...

Thanks for the review, Herb.

"We donna a-deserve-a this-a award..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks