What's new

HTF REVIEW: "9/11 The Filmmakers' Commemorative DVD Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I happened to watch the DVD last night with my mom rather than the replay, so I did not see the update stuff on CBS to compare to the DVD. However, I don't believe the DVD has anything like that.

It does contain groupings of firemen interviews about various aspects of that day, but some excerpts of these are used in the documentary itself, so I assume all of those are from the original production of the doc last year (ie, no updates).

Also, clearly the source materials here are of varied ARs and the chosen final OAR is 1.78, probably what they intended in the first place (and were shooting in). Perhaps they had a secondary camera(s) that were running 1.33 ARs, plus the more obvious mentioning of mixing in outside sources which definately were 1.33 ratio.

I have no problem with them handling it this way, though other options would be to crop some footage or to let the AR fluctuate ala Dr. Strangelove.

[SIDEBAR]
Onto the voyeristic complaints, I actually agree with that accusation even though it would indict me too. Many great filmmakers and critics have discussed in depth the very nature of film as being voyeristic, period.

So, yes, it is a desire to observe, to peek into some other world (often with that feeling of being at a safe distance). However, I don't think this is "morbid curiousity", but rather a desire to share experiences with one another. We want to feel those moments too, from a sheer drive for knowledge and understanding. Just as we want to feel all the other emotions when watching whatever films we have chosen.

Now perhaps some people don't want to understand, but do see the whole thing as just "entertainment". I just don't think we should accuse everyone who wants to watch things like this of being that type of person.

For example, I consider Tino my friend (along with several other NYC HTFers) and I want to establish that link by experiencing it as close to firsthand as I can.

Do I want to be killed or injured? No. But I do have an interest in the feelings that other people have from going through such things.

And I always feel that when we do share experiences with others (via a medium like film) some part of us goes back out to them. At least that's how I like to think of the human condition and the connections between us.

The best aspect of 9/11 is being able to share the feelings of "before 9/11". That is especially vital I think because as time heals our wounds it will do so by erasing the emotional memories of the past. We will KNOW how things were, but we will have a tough time remembering how that felt. A necessary by-product in the process of covering over the harsher emotional wounds.

And incidentally, I was rather badly burned about 10 years ago (slowly from heat, rather than fire). So I could especially appreciate the feelings in the minds of the jumpers. In my situation I first wished for a gun to end it quicker. Luckily I didn't have a gun, and I soon found my resolve to escape even though it seemed hopeless. In the end someone found me and helped me escape when I probably had no chance on my own. So equating my experience to the people in WTC, I've always felt that I probably would have tried to climb down the outside or something and would have then fallen. Just the most probable though highly unlikely option I had to turn to, rather than just straight jumping. I often wonder how many jumpers felt that exact way, or were trying/hoping for some desperate measure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks Seth. And right back at ya.:)
And let me add that watching some of these documentaries, especially 9/11, have had a profound effect on me. I get very emotional watching them, especially during scenes of loved ones looking for lost loved ones, hoping beyond hope to avoid the inevitable. They are extremely difficult to watch...
And yet, I watch them, and in a sense feel obligated to grieve along with these people so that I can somewhat attempt to understand what they went through. For me, I almost want to feel their pain and suffering so that I can hopefully become stronger from it and perhaps help those that are weaker. I feel tremendous sympathy for every one of them, more than these insignificant words could ever convey.
I hope that made sense.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I watched In Memoriam tonight, and I dare say it is an even more unflinching, brutal look at that day. I would warn those who are in the "barely can watch" range to perhaps avoid this one for now.
But as a piece of film/TV is is incredible in how it has been constructed. Collecting pieces of footage from all over the place (noted on screen for each photographer) it is assembled in a way that guides you through the day. The editing and interviews/voice-overs are so well intercut that it doubles the power of the images.
You will see some bodies. It is not glorified, but it is difficult to deal with...made more so by cutting in footage/interviews of the reactions of people, including Mayor Giuliani.
I thought I had some handle on how devastating that day was. Seeing this told me that I didn't. Just the sheer number of people seen crossing the bridges on foot, many covered in ash, bloody, or in shock. That was a visual and a story I had not even comprehended.
The only comparison I could make would be Georgetown Road after the Indy 500. If you've seen that mass of people, imagine it except filled with people in terror or shock.
This film is more sad than "9/11", but it also has other stories of fears and hope that you perhaps haven't heard before. I recommend both as a solid complimentary set. This HBO special is NOT just a collection of news shots of the planes hitting or something. They do have that footage, but a majority of the photos/video are of the people...how the human lives are being touched by the event. Thus the power of it.
The DVD also has a small map of the area. Nothing great, but still very helpful when you watch a disc like this. All the NYers just know what it means to be running north on West St, etc. while outsiders have little perspective.
[ANOTHER SIDE NOTE]
Did anyone see Leno the other night? James Woods was apparently on a plane a few weeks before the attacks (Boston to LA, the flight right after 11, which he missed that day) and ID'd 2 of the terrorists as being on his flight. They had acted so strange on his flight (no luggage, scouting the plane, very rude) that he had reported them to the pilot who in turn did an FAA report (thus the FBI contacted him after 9/11 and he ID'd 2 of them from photos of the dead terrorists).
:eek:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
james woods identifying others as being 'very rude' is true irony! ;)
ABC News has their broadcast from the morning of 9/11/2001 on their website. starting at 8:51 on good morning america when they first broke in with news that the north tower of the WTC was on fire and it "may" have been an aircraft. they have the complete coverage, unedited, that runs for about 3 hours past that. I watched it and I don't think I want to see any more. I was very interested in this 9/11 and In Memoriam, but I've completely lost that. I'm glad to see this stuff is released, sort of. Glad because everyone should definitely see it. But who -hasn't- seen it? I feel the slimy aftertouch of the media behind all this, subtly pimping 9/11 behind a thin veil of caring about America. It starts to feel a little too much like some kind of voyeurism.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
josh you forgot to mention that you have to pay to watch it.

james woods was on leno a few weeks after the attack last year and said he was on THE SAME PLANE that crashed into the WTC one week to the day before this happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks