What's new

HTF Poll: How do you have your surround system configured? Vote and you could win a $50 Amazon gift (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm using a 7.1 set up with the two additional rear speakers. I hope to upgrade my speakers in the next year or so (but an upgrade to a 3D TV is first on my to-do list before I dabble with the audio again).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
7.1 System, 5.1 setup due to a couple of reasons: space limitations for the speakers, and having to run wire to the speakers.

Some day, when the quality and technology are there, I'd love to get flat, wall mounted wireless speakers and go 7.1 A $50 Amazon gift card would help towards getting me there!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I use a 7.1 setup in my main unit which can go one of three ways: back surround...front wide...or front height. I receive compelling results with the latter two whenever they are activated. Good poll, Adam!!!!!

I plan on moving to a 7.2 configuration later this year as I look to add two new subs to my setup. (I wish I could go 9.2 in my unit, through. If I could, I would.)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Doing 5.1 in 7.1-capable. The space isn't really conducive to a 7.1, though I have thought about trying to make it so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a 5.1 system (system upgrade 2008 - 2010).

My receiver supports DPL IIz, so I considered a 7.1 Front Height system (no room for rear surrounds or wide surrounds). I ran the pricing and had SAF. But after consideration, it made more sense to put my speaker money into 5 speakers rather than spreading it thinner over 7, especially when FH is said to be a nuanced improvement. The FH setup would also require in-wall wiring, wall mounting, and would be visually awkward.

Should I ever finish my basement, or move to a new place with a larger media room, I'd be inclined to buy matched speakers for a 7 or 9.1 system. But that's fantasy for now :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I voted 7.1 with rear/back channels, but I have two subs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I might have voted wrong,I have a denon that allows for 9 speakers plus a sub and thats what I have set up. 2 floor standing fronts, a center, 2 on the sides and 4 in the rear. @ off which are considered center rear SS i suppose.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Interesting that with all of the push for technology, the clear (and vast) majority is for 5.1 variants, even amongst the bleeding edge type people!

Leo

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Leo Kerr

Interesting that with all of the push for technology, the clear (and vast) majority is for 5.1 variants, even amongst the bleeding edge type people!

Leo

It is. I think because speakers are expensive, take so much space, often a SAF conflict, and don't give much benefit for the marginal cost, they've not got as much broad appeal, even among the enthusiasts.

crandreww

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Wunsch
I have a Panasonic 5.1...Incredible sound, the fact the rear speakers are wireless is a great bonus....I listened to maybe 15 Home Theater systems when I was looking, and this one blew them all away...price was reasonable as well.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Man-

If its a 5.1 capable and you are using it w/o the center go with 5.1. I'd like to know more about why no center? Its ususally got about 50%+ of the front mix in it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Stereo - 2 channel from the TV speakers *or* headphones. I voted 5.1 only because my setup is not listed. I'm *very* "old school" about audio. I have zero interest in any type of surround sound system and typically find them extremely distracting. Surround sound is one reason I don't go to the theater much. I get annoyed when DVDs of older product default to "new" 5.1 mixes rather than the original mono/stereo mix as these "upgraded" mixes generally don't sound as good.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My exact option wasn't listed. I have a 7.1 receiver configured for 6.1, so I chose option #2 which was the closest.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Man-

If its a 5.1 capable and you are using it w/o the center go with 5.1. I'd like to know more about why no center? Its ususally got about 50%+ of the front mix in it.

My setup/arrangement is small enough that I don't believe a dedicated center makes a real diff -- plus then, I'd need to make sure the center speaker is positioned at the right spot, which is an issue in itself.

I use a pair of old Vandersteen 2Ci's for the mains and find phantom center works just fine. This may change after our move later this year, but I kinda doubt it since I'll probably stick w/ a similar arrangement even in a larger room unless I'm also moving to a much bigger display. I may consider adding a sub though, if I find that I can crank up the sub bass in the new place.

I'm currently still using a lower end Yamaha receiver as prepro to drive my old B&K 5-channel amp to drive the speakers...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks