What's new

HTF on Facebook, or, I'm so behind the times (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Those sites are frowned upon at my workplace too. But I just realized that I can update my status and send messages to other Facebook users by using text messaging on my cell phone. Facebook also texts me any messages left by my friends. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Everybody I know is on Myspace or Facebook. I just cannot bring myself to join those sites. I get more and more emails from friends and family asking me to join. I. Will. Not. Crack. lol

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Make sure you have an unlimited text messaging plan on your cell phone, else the costs can surprise you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got the new Facebook update yesterday. Seems like an improvement, or at least nothing was lost. Really, it's hard to tell the difference from how it was, though I've only been on for a week now
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I had my first, "who are you?" friend. I had to ask in a private note to refresh me on how I knew her.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

So what about the HTF facebook page? Is anything happening there?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Yeah, we have unlimited. But you are right, if you don't those per message fees can add up quickly.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I like the minor alterations to the look of it, but there are two problems so far. When "friend A" posts a comment to a wall post of "friend B", such as "Yes that's true!" you will see an update that says "Friend A > Friend B: Yes that's true!".

Which is weird because in the first place, they weren't talking to you, and also, there's no context, and also, it is creepy like eavesdropping.

Second problem is that the fan pages (for musicians and other artists) are now exceptionally bleak since all the relevant info (discography, discussion, etc) is now hidden away.

Hopefully they're working on this.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought I had that before the update :confused: Seeing non-friends participate in conversations of friends...that's not new, I don't think.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I recently set up a social networking site just for my extended family. We use it for event planning and general socializing. Has anyone else here had any experience with setting up something like that?

One nice thing about this arrangement is that it's a "walled community", and since I'm paying for the resources, there are no ads to deal with.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
From what I see this only applies to "wall-to-wall" posts. Actual "comments" on status or whatever still show as threaded. I understand the awkwardness of it, but I think that's a reflection of the "wall-to-wall" process itself. Even before the change you'd go to a person's profile and see fragments of a wall-based conversation. I never quite understood going this route when making comments shows both context and sequence, or if you want "privacy" just messaging each other.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's why I liked the old way of just telling you that X posted on Y's wall and that's it. If I'm not part of the conversation and can't even see the whole thing on my home page, what's the point of seeing one snippet of it?

In fact, if someone isn't making a comment to someones post, why do I even need to know what X posted on Y's wall in the first place? It makes me feel creepy to "listen in" on someone else's conversation.

But I guess if people didn't want their conversations listened in on, they would just PM.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I guess this is as good a place as any. On a facebook, if I am a member of group "X", is there a way to turn off any email from that group? I.e. could I be a member of the group but don't allow anybody, even with admin privaleges to email me (via facebook, not personal email)?

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Look under Settings->Account Settings->Notifications. There are controls for emails from individual posts and some broad controls for groups.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
DaveF: Nope, this is NOT a notification, this is actual email that shows up in my Inbox on Facebook... Plus, those settings are global, for each group, I'd like to be able to not get email from a particular group. I found no such option so I had to just leave the group, there should be a way (like HTF) to be able to turn such option off...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks