What's new

HTF Members Choice as DVD of the year (1 Viewer)

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Having viewed everyone's opinion in the Moulin Rouge Topic, I am curious as to what Everyone's choice would have been for DVD of the year.

Anyone care to cast a nomination and why?

Id be curious to see what the winner would be.

I know Vbulletin is capable of doing Polls. Ron/Parker, just for fun is there any way that we could set up an organized Poll for this....

Let the nominations begin..

-Damien

YANG

Screenwriter
Today is the last day of 2001,a year filled with new benchmarks and technology that wowed the crowd.

DISNEY's new VISTA SERIES range and CTHV's new SUPERBIT range had given DTS fanatics new hope that there will be more releases for them to include in their video library.Thus,more re-purchases.

2001 is also a year where there isn't any big moves from some studios,despite great demands of their catalogue titles to be released with another audio format.Here i am referring to those who had not jumped into the DTS pool.

DVD collectors frequently on the move,who views movies with portables will not suffer anymore,with DOLBY's new introduction of DOLBY HEADPHONE TRACKS,that works with any simple pairs of headphones.

More music concerts DVDs had been released with additional DTS tracks in 2001.

Let me cut short and move to what i have in mind.The eiligible titles/release are...

BEST IN DTS SURROUND presentation are:

1.T2:ULTIMATE EDITION

2.PEARL HARBOR:60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

3.PLANET OF THE APES(2001)

4.JURRASIC PARK 3

5.U-571

6.HANNIBAL

7.AIR FORCE ONE

8.THE FIFTH ELEMENT

BEST IN DD5.1 SURROUND presentation,are:

1.SWORDFISH

2.APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX

3.TOMBRAIDER

4.MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2

5.VERTICAL LIMIT

BEST PACKAGING are:

1.GODFATHER TRILOGY

2.DIE HARD S.E TRILOGY

3.PEARL HARBOR 60TH ANNIVERSARY GIFT SET

4.FORREST GUMP

5.CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE THIRD KIND

6.GHANDI

7.T2:ULTIMATE EDITION with TIN CASE

BEST VALUE PACKED RELEASE are:

1.GODFATHER TRILOGY

2.JURRASIC PARK TRILOGY

3.DIEHARD S.E TRILOGY

4.THE CROW TRILOGY:COLLECTOR'S SERIES.

If any member have any more suggestions,pls feel free to give any inputs.

Chip_E

Agent
I was really impressed with the "Snow White" DVD.

It really raised the bar on DVD presentation.

From the menus to the menu transitions, to the extra features (especially the "mine" game), this presentation was perfect. The visual and audio restoration are among the best I've ever seen.

My wife and I view on average 3 to 4 movies per week.

We view nearly all of the "A" movies and as many of the foreign and indie movies as we can find. We try to view movies in commercial theaters, but always return home dissapointed. Either the mattes are poorly placed, the screen or film print flawed, speakers distorted, or we're disturbed by chatty patrons. We much prefer viewing in our Home Theater or one of the select screening theaters in Chicago.

Our choice for best movie would be "The Road Home".

This movie reminded me of a Dogme95 (not at all related to the movie Dogma) feature. The movie was extremely pure.

There were no special effects other than some scenes being desatured (makes 'em look like old black/white film).

It's a dramatic love story, and even though the main characters are hardly on screen together and never even touch each other (not even a kiss), we're able to actually feel the intensity of their relationship. There's no doubt that they are in love. Outstanding performances by the actors, and outstanding cinematography. This film was storytelling at its best.

- Chip Eberhart

- DVD Author

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Chip you totally read my mind...Im at work at the moment and dont have my list of DVDs with me at the moment. While trying to go through my library by memory, I definitly thought that Snow White Platinum edition offered the Most in DVD for 2001. A balance of Extras, presentation, effort, Video and Audio definitly make this a Choice DVD for the year.

Thanks for the submission

1 for Snow White

Any others?

-Damien

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am going to have to agree with Ron on Moulin Rouge. The quality of this DVD is outstanding... reference picture, reference sound, Baz and his mom commentary in a hilarious commentary, quality extras (with substance!) and the BEST MOVIE OF 2001! Great Job Fox!
A close second is Almost Famous: Bootleg, which is an outstanding movie that was made even better with the longer Director's Cut.
"The greatest thing you'll ever know... is just to love... and be loved in return"

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I'd have to put my money on SHREK as the ultimate disc of the year, although these also ranked pretty high with me:
Blow: Infinifilm
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (despite its shortcomings)
Snatch
Unbreakable: Vista Series
Best DTS track of the year for me was without a doubt THE CAVEMAN'S VALENTINE, although HANNIBAL and UNBREAKABLE were both damn close.
Best presentation of a catalogue title goes to BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, with a guilty personal nod going to THE BEASTMASTER and kudos for SNOW WHITE.
Best musical on DVD goes to HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, which got a far better treatment than its low-budget origins called for. I'd also give this disc the best documentary nod, since the 85 minute doc here is the most interesting I've seen for any disc.
But we could go on all day like this, and who really gives a rat's ass? :D

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Yang;

I can't believe you left out The Phantom Menace in your list of possible best DD 5.1 nominees. Put it on there right away, man! Hurry!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's certainly been a fantastic year for DVDs. My favorite DVD releases of 2001:
1. Moulin Rouge
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - SE
3. Almost Famous - Untitled
4. The Godfather Trilogy
5. Superman
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
9. An American Werewolf in London
10. Big Trouble in Little China
11. Shrek
12. The Simpsons - Season 1

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I like the idea of multiple categories, sound, extras, video, and then overall. Maybe even "best foreign dvd film" or "best obscure dvd", let's make it fun.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
MOULIN ROUGE is,IMHO, a wonderfully entertaining film and the DVD is first class in every way so I think Ron made a good choice. Some others that were worthy are:

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE

STAR WARS EPISODE 1:THE PHANTOM MENACE

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA(I believe it came out in 2001)

The Criterion REBECCA

Criterion's superlative restorations of THE SCARLET EMPRESS and MY MAN GODFREY(a film that was nearly impossible to see in acceptable picture quality until the DVD was released)

JURASSIC PARK III(for the picture and sound)

A special nod for Universal's Classic Horror Double Features. The latest batch had very little in the way of extras(just some exceptionally well written production notes) but the transfers were,for the most part,very nice and a big improvement over their past efforts in this series. WEREWOLF OF LONDON and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN have never looked so good.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
  1. BEST DVD OF 2001
  2. Superman: The Movie - Special Edition¹
  3. Episode I: The Phantom Menace[/list=1]

While Episode I has much more content wise, better picture and sound, it's a much newer movie than Superman. Superman is the best it's ever looked, and after reading what went into the restoration, and the supplementary materials, I just gotta give it the edge.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
The Abyss: SE
Requiem: For A Dream
Haven't popped in Close Encounters of the Third Kind: CE yet, might edit this post and add it since I've heard great things about it.
-Bert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks