What's new

HTF Jazz Club (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It probably is the remastered version. I don't see why they would sell the first master.

Anyway, I'd recommend just picking it up at a B&M. You won't have to wait or pay S&H, and you can just check the CD to make sure you got the right one.

For Columbia releases, here's how to tell if it's the newer, remastered edition of the album if it isn't clearly labeled:

The front of the jewel case spine should be transparent, not black. Most also come with a yellow sticker on the front.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the extra info mike! hopefully i'll be able to get this in the next few days. i'm kinda excited...in case you can't tell. :)
while i am a music fan (700+ cd's, 100+ albums) it'll be nice to explore a new venue. i'm so tired with most of today's music...i've even started listening to the "standards" music channel on my cable-box!

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

If they don't have Kind of Blue on sale check to see if they have Art Blakeys Moanin' (RVG) on sale. This is an all around great hard bop album which gets a lot of play at my house. You can't go wrong if Lee Morgan's in the lineup. Love Golson's playing as well.

Wade

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Good list to start with, Mike.
I'm a late convert to jazz. Probably got hooked mostly thanks to the New Orleans Jazzfest. My wife and I go about every other year, starting about 10-11 years ago. I've "discovered" more great, old stuff there than anywhere else. (Course, it helps to just be immersed in it for 3 or 4 days straight ;)) I got into the older stuff by Sidney Bechet, George Lewis, and Johnny Dodds, thanks to Dr. Michael White, who performs every year, and always pays tribute to an early jazz era clarinetist, usually.
Kind of Blue is easily my favorite Miles (I'm not as big a fan of his later more avant garde, discordant - to me - stuff.) I'm not as much a fan of modern jazz as the classic, earlier jazz, and especially live Dixieland, like I get my fill of at the Jazzfest.
The Ken Burns sets are good anthologies and/or introductions to most of the greats - I have almost half of the CDs from his sets produced as ancillary product from his series.
For Duke Ellington, I'd highly recommend "Live at Newport" (the 1999 re-issue) for its historical significance. Their performance of Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue re-launched Duke's career, and has quite a story to it. Turns out the live recording Columbia originally contracted with Duke for got botched, because the mikes weren't set properly. Voice of America did a live radio broadcast to our troops abroad, which may have fouled up the mike placement for Columbia (or caused the musicians to play into the wrong mikes). So Columbia made Ellington's band go back into the studio and re-cut most of the supposed "live at Newport" album, complete with re-dubbed applause, that Columbia released back in 1956!!
Turns out, after 35 years, a VofA recording of the radio broadcast was finally discovered. (For years, those who inquired were told no recordings were kept of the VofA live broadcasts.) With current digital technology, they managed to extract separate mono left and right channel tracks of the VofA recording, and digitally synchronize and re-balance to produce a true stereo recording that sounds truly fantastic.
Something to keep on mind when you pick an Ellington album to listen to.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Allen, I love that Ellington album, too. However, I don't know if it's a good one for a newbie, since it contains duplicate performances of almost every song. And for an extra 5 bucks, they could pick up a 3-CD compilation that's more comprehensive and representative of his work.

But that is one heck of a sax solo by Gonzalez, eh?

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Mike-

I hadn't thought about cost effectiveness - which is a good point for newbies. (But that sax solo/riff is something, isn't it?)

The thing I love about the Live at Newport album is you get current sound quality from a 1956 live performance - makes it really "come alive", compared to how "dead" a lot of the mostly mono recordings from the earlier period often sound.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, here are my thoughts on my listen to "Kind of Blue" last night.

It's an amazing album. The recording sounds terrific, a bit of hiss in the quiet passages, but the instruments are clear and bright. The bass was just a bit boomy, but not distracting.

As for the performance, simply amazing work by Miles , Coltrane & Co. I thought I would enjoy the sax because I've alrways loved the sound of a sax, but the trumpet was equally enjoyable.

I'm not one to make any attempt to break down the music, I don't know enough to do so. I simply like it or I don't.

I found myself wanting to close my eyes and let the music tell a story, not a wise thing to do at 70 mph. I have a feeling this will be an even better album to sit down with a cocktail and just listen. I plan to do that asap. I'll also be looking for more Miles and Coltrane.

Suggestions?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
WOO HOO!!! Blakey's "Moanin" arrived today. Actually faster than I anticipated from Amazon. Not going to give a critical review until I've listened 2,3,4 or 17 times;) but I will make one initial impression. Mike, you weren't kidding. This CD sounds incredible for a perfomance that is over 40 years old. Absolutely stunning clarity and sound. I'll get back to you with the rest of the review in about a week.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I can't help but echo the comments about Gonsalves' sax solo on "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue". I don't know how many of the stories on the liner notes are true and hadn't heard about the studio re-recordings, but there's a moment during that solo where you can literally feel the crowd getting to its feet and dancing in the aisles. I can picture Ellington and all the band members' smiles getting wider as Gonsalves was egged on to continue that solo. It really gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it (and pretty much every time since).

A few other goosebump moments...

Hearing Dr. Michael White play "Summertime" live. Ballads don't typically appeal to me as much as the quicker paced tunes, but this was absolutely stunning in its delicateness and beauty.

Watching Pharoah Sanders at the New Orleans Jazz fest a few years ago. He didn't actually play the sax that much, but his band just played the hell out of every tune (including a wickedly ferocious female drummer whose name has completely escaped me) while Sanders stood there and jangled bells. I simply couldn't stop smiling...

Still haven't picked up "Moanin". This weekend, I swear.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Bob-

I'm with you all the way on Dr. Michael White.

Isn't the NO Jazzfest the greatest live music anywhere, anytime? I end up spending most of time between the Dixieland Jazz and Gospel tents - both levitate their audiences until absolutely no one is sitting still - which is another sight to behold. (and food is outrageously good, too!)

James RD

Supporting Actor
Had to order some stuff at Amazon today so I added "Moanin'". I have "Keystone 3" by Blakey. This was when the Marsalis brothers were with him. Anyone know it? Very good. The HTF Jazz Club is a fine organization. Like I need an excuse to buy more jazz.:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
James, I'll keep an eye out for Keystone 3. I have been meaning to swell up my Blakey collection.

Blakey is easily one of my favorite drummers of all time.

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up John Coltrane - My Favorite Things and a Count Basie disc called the Gold Collection this past weekend and here are my first impressions.

I'm a deadhead at heart and have been exposed to some of the NY improv jazz bands like Medeski, Martin and Wood. I tend to like music that flows.

With that in mind, the swing sound of Count Basie seemed to be too much in your face. I can definately appreciate the talent it takes to play this type of jazz, but I don't care for the instant change in dynamics. Again, this is just my first thoughts.

The Coltrane disc is very nice. The detail in his playing is amazing. The suttle changes in volume and not a hint of tripping over himself when jamming as many notes as possible into a measure. It seems as if he is always giving you more than what you're anticipating.

I'll be giving both of these discs many more listening sessions, and I'm definately picking up the other three recommendations. I see many of you are highly recommending the Art Blakey disc.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ray, glad you're participating. :)
Just to put Count Basie in a little bit of context:
By the time Basie hit it big, swing was a powerhouse in popular music. In fact, many felt that it needed something fresh.
Geography plays a part in jazz history. Count Basie introduced the Kansas City sound to the country. Compared to the small group music that most people listen to nowadays, most swing music will sound more dynamic and abrasive- after all, we're talking about 20 or so musicians as opposed to around 5. But compared to most of the earlier swing, Basie's music is a lot more subtle and involves space and timing. His best material is when Lester Young, the legendary alto sax player, was in the band. Basie himself played "less" then his peers, and their drummer, Jo Jones, was one of the first to use cymbals to keep time, a technique later adopted by the bop drummers.
Personally, I'm not into swing music. I like to listen to Ellington on occassion, but I figured my first recommendation should include big band, since it made jazz popular. IMO, a lot of swing music sounds dated to a modern young listener, especially when they sing. But something like Kind of Blue sounds like it was just recorded yesterday.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, i just got kind of blue and here's my very uneducated jazz review!

i found this disc to be most excellent! when i think of what jazz is "supposed" to sound like, this music fits the bill exactly.

it's very listenable. sometimes i think jazz is too "slow" but this seemed just right.

i really liked hearing the different instruments play together...it was like so simple yet complex at the same time. the way they combined was really neat.

the quality of the recording was also very impressive. i guess they fixed a few things in this remastered version.

well, i hope that review didn't insult anyone. bottom line: great cd!

--------

on a side note, my brother-in-law is very well educated on music styles. for a while he was the percussionist for the doobie brothers! he knows all about this stuff too. i told him what he was up to and he agreed that kind of blue is an excellent choice!

he did say coltrane might be a bit much for me...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ted, for what it's worth, I'm giving out extremely uneducated jazz recommendations, so we're on the same page. :)
I also thing a lot of jazz is "slow," that's why I love the bop stuff.
It was like so simple yet complex at the same time.
Yep, that was Miles' specialty, especially with the "modal" material, where they do some amazing improvisation on top of relatively simple chord structures. It takes a certain level of talent to do it right, and make it sound so smooth.
Ok, people, keep the reports coming in!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, it's been a month since anyone posted to this thread and I'm thoroughly enjoying my Art Blakey's "Moanin" (listening to it as I type actually).
C'mon Mike...I think it's time for 3 or 4 more selections!!!:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wowie, I totally forgot about this.
Evan, I'm glad you're enjoying Blakey. Definitely check out more of his stuff. Caravan is a great one, and anything from the Blue Note label. These aren't the "official" HTF Jazz Club recs, just suggestions if people want to delve further into Blakey's catalog.
A couple of people requested more recs, and some are saying they only want one. I'm going to compromise and give two. Ok, let me think about this...
Alright, done thinking. :)
I'm including links for the albums to cdnow.com so that you can see the cover and/or order it.
1. Dizzy Gillespie
I'm listing two choices for Dizzy, because one is more expensive than the other, and they are from different time periods. Get whichever is more interesting to you and affordable. Both albums are big band music.
The artist: Dizzy Gillespie is the greatest trumpet player ever to exist in the universe ever ever (yes, I'm being subjective. Hah ;) ). His technique is so great and so unique that, though he is one of the three biggest influences on trumpet playing (along with Armstrong and Miles), he is almost never imitated.
Option 1: Birk's Works
This is a 2 CD set that compiles all of Dizzy's big band work for the Verve label. Dizzy's big band stuff is unique because the music is be-bop, which is usually performed by a small group.
The first disc is really the reason to get this. Every track is great. The second disc has lots of alternate takes and some awful vocal tracks- you'll want to skip those.
The music: Much of popular jazz is smooth, introspective, calm. I chose this because it's the complete opposite. Dizzy was a showman. Lots of loud choruses, exuberant solos, and some skatting. It's a party. It's the kind of stuff that has you snapping your fingers and tapping your toes.
Since this is a 2 disc set, it may be a bit more expensive, especially since only one of the discs is good. However, the sound quality and performances are more than worth it.
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1357766413/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=GILLESPIE*DIZZY/itemid=344727
Option 2: Dizzy Gillespie and His Big Band
This is, I believe, Dizzy's first big band. The album was recorded in 1948. I was hesitant to recommend this because it's such an old recording and the sound quality isn't going to be as good as the later stuff, but it's still not bad for 1948. I personally think the music is stronger than on Birk's Work: more energy, more excitement.
The band features Chano Pozo on congas, a Cuban musician who died shortly aftewards. He was important in helping Dizzy incorporate a Latin feel into this band. Latin rhythms and Dizzy's naturally exciting playing are a match made in heaven. Some of the Latin influence is felt in Birk's Works, too, but not as strong as here. The best track is the closer, Manteca, with a firy solo by Pozo. It's my favorite Dizzy recording.
The album is great musically, but some of the audiophiles may be turned off by the ancient sound. If you can accept the poorer quality, go with this. If not, Birk's Works is fine.
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1357766413/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=GILLESPIE*DIZZY/itemid=10170
I just noticed that CDNOW lists this at $16.99 and Birk's Works at $19.99. I think the price difference is small enough to not let price be a determining factor in your selection.
2. Wes Montgomery- Full House
The artist: I'm going to assume pretty much everyone hear listens to some form of guitar music, primarily rock or pop. Well, now you can hear some real guitar playing. :) Wes is considered one of, if not the most important electric jazz guitar player. The music is bop, but with a real swinging feel. Wes likes to hit chords and octaves in his soloing, adding nice stylistic flourishes to his playing.
The album: Some Wes fans may disagree with selecting this one over Incredible Jazz Guitar, but I gotta say that this live album is more fun and accessible (though both are absolutely killer).
The rhythm section is the same as that on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, so you're not getting any slouches.
This is just great blowing, and grand intro to the wonderful world of jazz guitar.
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1357766413/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=MONTGOMERY*WES/itemid=1234858
CDNOW lists this at $27.99. Do not pay this much for it! There are two versions out there- the one I linked to is the fancy-schmancy "audiophile" recording. I got this one for $15 at a B&M. There is also a regular version without the red slip case which might be a little cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is between them, but at $15, you can't go wrong with the fancy version.
Enjoy!
Edit: I wasn't able to fix the link for Birk's Works, so you'll have to copy the URL into your browser or just do a search for it at CDNOW.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Best Buy and Circuit City totally suck ass, pardon my language, for jazz music.
No kidding. I just found this thread last night and it got me all excited to get some of the suff mentioned to give a try. Best Buy had nothing! Pretty much the only thing they had was the Ken Burns Jazz stuff, so I bought the Art Blakey Burns disc. Guess I'll have to hit a real music store. The only other Jazz disc I own is Giant Steps by John Coltrane and a couple of compilations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks