What's new

HTF HD DVD REVIEW: The Perfect Storm (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
true but i didnt say playable.
i should have been more specific.
no receiver can play these tracks to their full capability yet

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If the HD DVD player could read the full 5.1 Dolby Tru HD soundtrack it could decode it to 5.1 or 6.1 LPCM over HDMI 1.1 just like it does now with DD+.

The Toshiba HD DVD unit simply lacks the featureset for the full 5.1 channels (and instead sense a 2.0 LCPM signal via HDMI or coax).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not true. In fact, it's much more closer to 1080p (or 1080i done right).

But I don't want this review thread hijacked any further by these sidetracked discussions that are extensively discussed elsewhere too, so please look here (post #30 by myself and on the next page, post #31 by PeterTHX).

PLease consider my hijack remark above as an official warning. Further discussions of film formats in general, properties of specific (or any) players and their audio output are to be held elsewhere, no longer in this review thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Cees

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sorry for the second question I am about to answer but.... I have heard that there are no players or receivers to take advantage of the DDTrueHD and dtsHD yet, that HDMI1.3 does not come out for a couple of months, that only 2 channel mode can be played so far today on the DDTrueHD tracks.

OK. Forget anything about HDMI for now.... my receiver is HDMI 1.1 anyway. Why cannot the full 5.1 be played via the analog multichannel connections today?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Neil,
I haven't seen any HD discs that have uncompressed 5.1 audio tracks like the Sony Blu-ray discs. However, at this time, you can enjoy multichanel surround-sound such as 5.1 channel by connecting the 5.1ch analog audio outputs from the player into your receiver.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks