What's new

HTF Hardware Reviews - Vote Here (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
David Upton said:
I'd love to see some feedback from the community on which particular products or manufacturers you'd like to see reviews for. As we line up reviews for the next few months, I'd love to focus on the areas that you consider to be most important.
So if you have a suggestion, question or unreasonable demand - please post it here!
Thanks!
Hey Dave,
I know you emailed me a while back but for whatever reason I can't track it down. Anyway, if you are still interested in a possible review for Power Sound Audio please send me a note as time allows. Thanks!
Also, any chance you will considering adding some 2m GP/CEA style stuff in future reviews?
Tom V.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Panasonic AE-8000u PJ
Epson 5020 PJ
$1k and less subwoofer shootout
Those are things I'm considering, I'm sure everyone is different tho!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel /t/324853/htf-hardware-reviews-vote-here/0_50#post_4011222
Hey Dave,
I know you emailed me a while back but for whatever reason I can't track it down. Anyway, if you are still interested in a possible review for Power Sound Audio please send me a note as time allows. Thanks!
Also, any chance you will considering adding some 2m GP/CEA style stuff in future reviews?
Tom V.
Tom,
Great to hear from you. I do in fact have the gear to do the same tests Dale does at HTS - so it's something I'd like to start featuring in our reviews. I am hoping we can recruit a few volunteers on the forum here to assist with that, as it's a fairly time consuming process. I'll be reaching out to you regarding some PSA product reviews soon!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well folks, the next review coming up in the future will be the Salk speakers (HT2-TL's). Here's an image of the speakers in question:

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would like to see more reviews of "budget products". It seems like most reviews in magazines such as "Home Theater" and "Sound and Vision", are upper mid-range and high end stuff. In other words, more expensive than most of us can afford. 5.1 receivers under $300 - YES, I'm looking to buy one soon :) 7.1 receivers under $350

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ditto Jim's request. My old 5.1 receiver has died, and I need to replace it on a budget. Also, based on what I see a lot of newcomers talk about, there is a market for discussion regarding Home Theaters In A Box.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Steve Tannehill said:
Ditto Jim's request. My old 5.1 receiver has died, and I need to replace it on a budget. Also, based on what I see a lot of newcomers talk about, there is a market for discussion regarding Home Theaters In A Box.
I hope you meant... "pre-package home theatre"...like the Onkyo HT-S line, or the Yamaha YHT... Cause I'll pass on ever reviewing one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDVN790W-Blu-ray-Theater-System/dp/B006U1YV4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357766252&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+bdv-n790w Unless asked very very nicely...(otherwise might make nice bonfire kindling...KIDDING)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We are going to be trying to get several different tiers of equipment reviewed here - both budget and mid-range with the occasional high end piece thrown in. High end is most items over $5000 in the speaker space and over $1500 in electronics. (MSRP of course).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
schan1269 said:
I hope you meant... "pre-package home theatre"...like the Onkyo HT-S line, or the Yamaha YHT... Cause I'll pass on ever reviewing one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDVN790W-Blu-ray-Theater-System/dp/B006U1YV4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357766252&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+bdv-n790w Unless asked very very nicely...(otherwise might make nice bonfire kindling...KIDDING)
I agree with Sam. I don't think it would be a good thing for us to legitimize the bulk of the crappy HTiBs. Plus, it would be a waste of pixels for most of us on the fourm.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
How about a "best bang for the buck" review. Where an item is just too good to be true for what you get for the price. Like when the onkyo NR818 was $679 for weeks, or how the Yamaha Aventage 2020 (with 4k pass and 4k conversion)can be had for just over $1200. Or the BIC F12 sub. Overall quality products for anyone in that particular market. :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Just now, I saw someone new asking for HTiB advice. This happens every day. If you ignore it, you limit a valid class of readers at HTF. I see people working with a budget of under $500 (sometimes under $300) for speakers and amp/receiver.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Just now, I saw someone new asking for HTiB advice. This happens every day. If you ignore it, you limit a valid class of readers at HTF. I see people working with a budget of under $500 (sometimes under $300) for speakers and amp/receiver.
The suggestion, which I seconded, was to only review "pre-package home theatre", which I'm confident Sam meant to mean the packages that come with a real receiver and some minimal quality of speaker. That allows items under $500, and there are a number of decent options in the $250-$500 range. If you review the junk you legitimize it, and in turn diminish the forum for seeming to promote it. We would do that class of reader (whom I'm not trying to disparage at all) more service by letting them know why they shouldn't be pursue that path.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If we "do" review HTiB, I think we need to draw a line in the sand... Must have HDMI inputs. Must include a digital input(coax or toslink). That eliminates a BUNCH of the utter garbage. That, in turn, would "allow" items like the Sony sounbars that include HDMI and the "oddball" stuff like the Onkyo 22HDX.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by schan1269
It would also be nice(if this is possible) to create a "great AV deal" thread...
Whenever anybody sees an Amazon Lightning deal...there is a dedicated thread for that???
An outstanding deal on a DLP from like HH Gregg...(I mean ads, not what you as a singular customer dealed a salesperson into giving you. Basically I could fill a thread like that all day long in one-offs nobody else could repeat)
Is that kind of thing allowed?
HW and SW deals both go in the deals area: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/f/33/bargains-and-deals
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks