What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Thirteen" (w/ screenshots! ) (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I need to see this movie one of these days.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell
(off to watch TV and then finish a couple of DVD reviews by Monday)

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review, Adam, but unfortunately I have to back up Mr. Rhett there:

I saw this film with some friends at a movie theatre with the director there for what she called "a little q'n'a" - to be honest: we left before even talking to her since this was such a lame attempt to capture what "happens so fast"... .

The film bores its audience throughout the picture, probably thinking it is "shocking" it with this oh-so-terrifying subject matter. In fact, the movie fails to build any relationship between the people on screen and those in their seats.

We looked at each other several times throughout the picture, just thinking: MAN, that's ridiculous, not shocking!

A girl that gets her friend on the wrong track, a mother that doesn't notice, drugs, sex and all that jazz - come on, we've all "been there and done that" with much better coming-of-age films: Requiem For A Dream for example - hell, even SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER makes for a better portrayal of teenagers and combines that (8 MILE could be added here as well) with criticism towards the society that creates the tragedies they portray.

THIRTEEN however concentrates on this bunch of not likeable characters, combines it with a bad soundtrack and Ms. Hardwicke's not exactly elegant direction.

For me, another pseudo-shocker and wannabe-highclass-drama - as Dr. Evil would put it: the Diet Coke of Drama: one calorie.

Seb

PS: Robert_Z, how about a little more precise explanation as to why "Requiem For A Dream" "sucked so bad" - now THAT would be interesting to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks