What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight, 1955-1959 (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Hey Mike S.

Enjoyed your blog MR. MOE-JOE RISIN' on the Columbia Classics web site. Learned a coupled of things I did not know about the Besser shorts. Thanks for sharing. By the way I am a proud owner of all eight volumes and hope to see all the films in time released and re-released.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by ahollis

Hey Mike S.

Enjoyed your blog MR. MOE-JOE RISIN' on the Columbia Classics web site. Learned a coupled of things I did not know about the Besser shorts. Thanks for sharing. By the way I am a proud owner of all eight volumes and hope to see all the films in time released and re-released.

[COLOR= #0000cd]Thank you kindly.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000cd]Yes, more Stooge goodness will be coming along at some future date. More than that I cannot say.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000cd]Mike S.[/COLOR]

smhc29

Auditioning
Real Name
sointlely
Sony gave the Stooges the bums rush again and it is sickening to see so many people praising Sony for a lousy job.

To have restored these properly, would to have done a job like they did to The Wizard of OZ - a full refurbishing that gives it a 6k/4k scan so then could be down rezzed for dvd and the coming blu-ray releases, instead Sont went ultra cheap and a lousy 1080 scan

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think everyone is just realistic and knows that Sony can't lavish the same kind of money and attention on 190 shorts as Warners can on one of the most beloved and popular movies ever made. Especially when the cost of restoring 50 or 60 hours of Stooge shorts would dwarf the already huge amount of money spent just on a two hour length movie.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Lousy job?!?! Give me a break. I can show some things in my collection that can be called "lousy job", but these aren't it. Not performing a top of the line restoration is far from being lousy.

smhc29

Auditioning
Real Name
sointlely
wrong, if it were not for the stooges sony would have went under and tons of comedians influenced by them never would have got into the game, the stooges legacy and importance is greater than the wizard of ox, therefore desrved the best retoration job and not some spit and polish that people think was sooo good,

you want to know why the minimilast refurb looked so good compared to tv and those old compilation dvd's ...................... because instead of using generations removed from camera negative dupes for the spit and shine restore they used the original negatives

Originally Posted by TravisR

I think everyone is just realistic and knows that Sony can't lavish the same kind of money and attention on 190 shorts as Warners can on one of the most beloved and popular movies ever made. Especially when the cost of restoring 50 or 60 hours of Stooge shorts would dwarf the already huge amount of money spent just on a two hour length movie.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's funny how often people like to think that their favorite stuff is the most important thing in the world with no expense to be spared and can't understand why the studios don't see it that way. At least they actually released all the shorts.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I still need to get around buying volume 8 sooner or later this year, and the collection will be complete. The main thing I liked about the restoration on these volumes , is they all look great ! You cant say any volume looked better than the other.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Originally Posted by smhc29

Sony gave the Stooges the bums rush again and it is sickening to see so many people praising Sony for a lousy job.

To have restored these properly, would to have done a job like they did to The Wizard of OZ - a full refurbishing that gives it a 6k/4k scan so then could be down rezzed for dvd and the coming blu-ray releases, instead Sont went ultra cheap and a lousy 1080 scan

Come on, they did a great job with the Stooges! And blu-ray edition? With Sony now reverting to releasing their libary titles on made on demand online discs, we're lucky we got what we got in regards to the Stooges.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by smhc29

Unfair statement. Sony remastered 190 different films. The final product received overwhelmingly enthusiastic reviews. The discs received wonderful praise from fans on this and many other forums. They even won many "fan favorite" awards at HTF for best releases. Perhaps there are others, but having read tons of reviews, fan comments and forums, this is the first negative comment I have seen on the series as a whole.

The price point was terrific. The fact they films were repackaged consistently and released chronologically was great. The restoration of the films is very good. Blu-ray would be nice, yes, but to describe this as "lousy", "bums rush" and "ultra cheap" is silly.
I have enjoyed the series and know that most others have as well. I'm sorry, but you are all by yourself on this one.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This is the first complaint I've heard about the Stooge sets. They've received rave reviews from fans everywhere who are excited to finally have the complete series on dvd. I'm not sure how ANYONE could find fault with these sets. They look absolutely beautiful to me.

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
are there a few imperfections? Of course but nothing that even rates a mention in my opinion. These things look great and for someone who has collected for years and has recorded, re-recorded, purchased and repurchased (several times over in various formats and configurations) these are the BEST and the end of the line for me. I'm not saving any alternate versions I would never watch anyway. Nothing is edited, the films look better than I've ever seen them and the price point was perfect for the first time in Sony's life.

We can be so spoiled and whiny as consumers sometimes and with the digital age we sometimes forget how old some of these elements are and how at one time we recorded films that were scratchy and edited.

Some people just ain't happy and love to complain and I suppose that is fine. They put a scene through some kind of computer processing software and can show you how this doesn't look as good as that and how the sound drops here now where it didn't then and blah blah blah. While I admit it is cool, it takes away from their enjoyment. I just want to sit back, watch and laugh at the Stooges (and several other things I've purchased). In general, if these releases are so painful and irritating to anyone then don't buy them.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I wish Warner Brothers gave the same respect to its Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies that Sony has given to the Stooges. Sony could still be repeating its error of releasing and repackaging the same shorts while ignoring the bulk remaining in its library. It is terrific to have the 3 Stooges collected chronologically, even if imperfectly.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
What Sony did with THE THREE STOOGES should be the role model for theatrical series shorts. If only Warner Bros. had done the same with Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, what great sets they could have given us. Now everything's a mess with them.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
How is the framing on these shorts? Do you look like they were meant to be shown at 1.85.1? Any complaints with them such as the ones with the Looney Tune DVDs?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, they did goof on one from 1953, which was filmed prior to Hollywood going "widescreen," but released after. Based on the release date, Sony figured it should be 1.85:1, but it should have been standard ratio. I used the word "goof," because, unless I'm not remembering correctly, I believe it was "Goof on the Roof."

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I can't imagine how ANYONE would complain about the job Sony did with The Three Stooges!

Completeness, timeliness of releases, and price point, could not be better! Add my voice to those expressing utter disbelief!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks