What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: The Jungle Book - 40th Anniversary Platinum Edition (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You're not the only one who remembers that, and that release would have been 1990 or 1991, just before the VHS and LD release of 101 Dalmatians.

On GTTW and TTC, the GTTW conversion is more of a travesty, as TTC was a VistaVision production, and shot flexibly for presentation at either 1.66, 1.85 or 2.0:1. Each VistaVision print contained a guide at reel changes which can be seen here: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/wide...rame_guide.htm

I'm not aware of a CinemaScope version of The Wizard of Oz. What information do you have on this? I'm aware of the SuperScope version of Fantasia, which was simply projected through an anamorphic lens, but this is the first I've heard of The Wizard of Oz in any format other than Academy.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

I seem to recall the same for Jungle Book in the summer of 1990 - although my memory could be off a little (however, I clearly remeber the girl I was with in the theater).

Some background info: Disney was doing their usual re-release schedule of titles in the 1980s, and just about everything was projected at 1.85 - even the true 1.33 titles like Snow White. If you check Roger Ebert's reviews from the time, you'll see him complain about it. Eventually, Disney rectified the situation with prints that could project at 1.33 with standard projectors (via an optical adjustment on the print). [Ebert mentions this development too]

Now here's where some conjecture enters: my guess is that they kept doing this for Dalmations and Jungle Book in the early 1990s even though those films did not require the adjustment for proper framing (as opposed to Bambi, which did).

-Reagan

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I see the lines very clearly in 480p on my 65" Mits CRT. Why is it that whenever I hear Disney say "Newly Restored", my butt clenches up? Oh yeah, this is why.

Nope. Jungle Book was hard-matted to 1.85:1 on that early 90s release. It even had some vertical pan 'n' scanning from the 1.33:1 as I recall.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Finally checked my copy of The Jungle Book on DVD today and unfortunately, I too could readily see the lines. I was indeed surprised how easy they were to spot. My TV is a Mitsubishi 65” Rear Projection CRT HDTV, self-calibrated using DVE. I checked the DVD on both my upscaling Oppo (at 1080i) and my HD-A1 (at 480p) (both connected via component video). The lines were equally visible when played from either unit.

Frustrating, to say the least...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

To be fair, this sounds like a compression problem; not a problem with their "restoration". On the other hand, when Disney talks about "restoration" nowadays, I question whether or not there is any actual film work being done or if the film is just being scanned into the digital realm and left there. I suspect the latter is the case.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

101 DALMATIANS wasn't released on Laserdisc until 1999. The early 90's VHS release of it and THE FOX AND THE HOUND were not followed by Laserdisc releases either 3-12 months later as was the norm. I have no idea why.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, it's either the color timing ruining the image or DVNR, edge enhancement, and contrast boosting runing it. I think it's Disney's fault whenever there's radical changes. They still made it look better than any other release, color issues and all. This is why they really should be allowed to do it right (like Casablanca and the Indiana Jones trilogy) instead of giving them the "rephotographed" look as seen on the Disney projects. Then again, a studio like WB can apply reference color timing to Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz and they get a lot of complaints. So, I can't really blame Disney or DTS for making such radical overhauls on these films.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I don't think they (DTS) deserve any credit for Peter Pan. Their yellow-heavy color scheme ruins the look of Neverland and especially Pan himself. Despite its own unique deficiencies I still insist on watching the Special Edition from early 2002.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Watched this yesterday on my Toshiba 26" CinemaWide, which is hooked up to my player with Monster THX Certified component cables. FTR, this is not a progressive capable display. From a viewing distance of 5-6 feet, and even closer on replay, no lines. This display has at least 4% overscan, and framing looked fine.

This is an incredibly pretty transfer, and I still have to wonder if upscaling and HDMI are the culprits for these lines. I cannot think of any other explanation.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

I am watching in 480p over component cables, and see the lines clearly. The lines are there. Be happy that your system cannot resolve them to a point where you can see them.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
There seems to be no action recently. Has anyone told Disney about this problem ala "True Life Adventures" and "More Silly Symphonies". Has anyone in PAL-land noticed this problem?? For people with a HD setup, do you get the lines by turning off Progressive Scan????????

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I just got my copy from Future Shop with the limited edition tin, trust me it is worth the extra $5 for the tin case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks