What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Gene Generation (1 Viewer)

Swanny

Agent
Real Name
Johon
ronsreviews_covers_LGE024781.jpg

The Gene Generation

Studio: Lionsgate
Theatrical Release June 5, 2008
DVD release January 9, 2009
Video: 16:9
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Rating: R
Running Time: 96 Min
Review Date: January 26, 2009

The Film

3/5

This Sci Fi film stars the gorgeous Bai Ling as Michelle and is set in a futuristic world stricken by crime including people who hack peoples DNA to kill them. Michelle is an assassin who works to wipe out the DNA hackers whose dream is to leave this world and find a safer quite life somewhere else. The only problem is her younger brother Jackie played by Perry Shen. Looking to earn the respect of the underground world, Jackie is constantly getting into trouble forcing his sister Michelle to bail him out.

The film’s special effects were well done and believable. Additionally, the fight sequences were top notch really drawing me into the action. What I didn’t like was the storyline was a little choppy and hard to follow at times causing me to loose interest in the non action scenes. Also, I found Bai Ling’s heavy accent distracting and kept wondering to myself, “why her brother didn’t have an accent as well”.

Video Quality

4/5

The film is shot very dark (apparently there is no sunlight in this film’s world). It would have been nice to have some sort of contrast at some point in the film to break up it's monochromatic look.

Audio Quality

5/5

The film sounded great on my 5.1 system as it really drew me into the action sequences. I especially enjoyed how the music soundtrack was mixed.

Special Features

4/5

I found the storyboard and special effects features to be the most interesting.
  • Director Pearry Teo and actors Bai Ling and Perry Shen.
  • Commentary with Director Pearry Teo and Producer Keith Collea.
  • Cast and crew interviews.
  • Storyboard to screen comparisons.
  • Visual effects and concept art.
  • Deleted scenes.
  • The DNA hacker chronicles. (Digital comic book)
  • Combichrist music video.
  • Trailer gallery
In Conclusion

3/5 (not an average)

If you’re looking to watch a B grade Sci Fi film with good action scenes, good sound and soundtrack, a beautiful sensual leading lady and don’t care about the story line or the acting performances, watch the Gene Generation.

supersyd

Auditioning
Real Name
Sydney
Interesting... I'd not heard about this movie until now, but as a Bai Ling fan, maybe I should check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks