What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Planet Terror - Extended & Unrated (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
As much as I want the theatrical version of Grindhouse, I may just have to buy this separate release as well. I had a lot of fun watching this portion of the double feature and this sounds like a well done DVD.

BarryS

Second Unit
I will definitely be buying it, especially the Death Proof DVD had the $5 off coupon. I liked Death Proof better, but Planet Terror still kicks ass. The opening credit sequence - Rose McGowan's dance routine with Rodriguez's music playing - is just amazing. It gives me goosebumps. And the rest of the movie is pretty good too.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I hope it isn't considered a threadcap to respond to specific review assertions, because--great review overall aside--this sentence is just so very, very wrong. DEATH PROOF owns GRINDHOUSE.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
:) Not at all Travis - just my feelings on the two films. I have always been more of a blood & guts man so this film just appealed to me more - but just a little more :)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
What was in the Best Buy exclusive steelbook again? The Austin filmfestival Q&A? Anyone know how long that was?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to this week's ad, it's a "director interview" and there's a minimum of 15 per store. BB's Death Proof bonus disc was about 30 minutes so I'd imagine that this one is too.

Once again going by the ad, the steelbook case has a somewhat different cover. It's the same shot of Rose McGowan as the regular cover but they drop everyone else and just have Rose standing against a red background. In other words, it looks more like the Planet Terror poster.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm surprise that major chains are not running a deal on a DF/PT combo.

If they ever turn up in a 2/$30 sale, I'd probably throw down.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
My two cents: Planet Terror owns Death Proof, ;)

Although I enjoyed both.

I'm gonna watch this disc tonight. Grindhouse may have been a mixed bag, overall, but it's still the most fun I've had in the movie theater in a long time.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Have any Canadians been able to find the Steelbook? Futureshop removed it from their website.

*UPDATE* They have it in store. It looks to come with post cards but, doesn't have anything inside.

BarryS

Second Unit

If you intend to buy Death Proof and Planet Terror, now is the time. But get them separately. Each one includes a $5.00 off coupon for the other.

Curiously, the Grindhouse logo still appears at the beginning of Planet Terror. I would have thought they would have removed it.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Minor notes as to theatrical/extended differences:

Well, the dialogue and scenes I desired to see restored for pacing and expository strength were restored. The two goriest shots in the film, which I saw last year at Comicon, were also returned. There were also an added bit with Cholo I was really happy to see, which was hinted at in the trailer and in some interviews.

Most of all, I was glad the introduction to Earl McGraw and the princt were now in the film. There are also tons of dialogue extensions throughout the film, and more involving Cherry's first leg injury. I always suspected that the scrape from the passing by military force was supposed to foreshadow later events, now I'm sure of it. I haven't sat down and watched the entire film from beginning to end yet, but I'm sure I'll catch more additions then.

Still, I'm disappointed that there was no inclusion of the additional action sequences from the base (even in deleted form), but then I'm not surprised. The movie does start to drag around that point, but it still sounded (and looked) pretty awesome from the pre-viz and discussions in the Grindhouse book. I'm also ok with the "missing reel" so long as they never clean up the "print" itself.

Btw, the aspect ratio issues are nowhere near an issue as the earlier bootleg to trailer comparisons made it to look like. I even checked the exact instances shown on this board. It's fine.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm pretty sure there are artificial arms with mechanical fingers that can be controlled by the person's nerve endings, so it's not such a stretch to imagine a machine gun trigger that works the same way. :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Stopped by my local HWV and they bought copies of both DF&PT!

That means a month or two from now I can buy cheap rentals of both titles for less than ~$10 each (3/$25).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

So folks are having problems with a machine gun leg, but are okay with a gas that turns people into deformed bloodthirsty psychopaths?

*boggle*

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Since when did plausibility have anything to do with a Grindhouse movie? Exploitation movies work in their own universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks