What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL UNRATED (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
ronsreviews_covers_1435500.jpg

MY BEST FRIEND’S GIRL UNRATED

Studio: Lionsgate
Year: 2008
Rated: Unrated
Film Length: 1 hour, 52 minutes, 19 seconds
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (1.78:1)
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Ex, English Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Release Date: January 13, 2009

The Movie
(:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: )

My Best Friend’s Girl is the story of Tank Turner (Dane Cook), a guy who is so good at being a jerk that other guys hire him to go on dates with their girlfriends in order to drive the girls back into the arms of their boyfriends. Tank learned how to be a jerk to women by following the example of his dad (Alec Baldwin), a sexist college professor who proves that the apple does not fall far from the tree. Tank’s best friend, Dustin (Jason Biggs), hires Tank to go on a date with his girl, Alexis (Kate Hudson), and hijinks ensue as Tank and Alexis fall for one another.

My Best Friend’s Girl does its best to appeal to both sexes, with enough romance to satisfy the women and enough jokes to satisfy the men, and is moderately successful in this effort. To its credit, the movie does have some amusing moments, and the actors are well cast according to type. Dane Cook’s character Tank is a variation of the rude, crude, and uncouth guys that he often plays in movies. Jason Biggs’ character is the lovable loser once again like his character in the American Pie films, and Kate Hudson is the beautiful girl with the heart of gold who may or may not love bad boys. Likewise, Alec Baldwin plays his character appropriately over the top as a lecherous college professor who taught his son everything he knows about women.

The plot of My Best Friend’s Girl does not break any of the conventions of the romantic comedy genre, so its entertainment value derives not from its unpredictability (or lack thereof) but from the series of jokes and gags linking the movie together. If you enjoy this type of movie, then this movie is an agreeable way to have a few laughs for an hour and a half. On the other hand, if romantic comedies are usually not your thing, then this will not be the movie to change your mind about this genre.

This unrated version of My Best Friend’s Girl includes 12 extra minutes of footage not included in the original theatrical version.

Video
(:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: )

This DVD presents the movie in its original 1:78.1 aspect ratio. The color scheme seems to be somewhat muted, which seems to be attributable to the original film and not to a poor transfer. There is no apparent edge enhancement or DNR, however, the images suffer from some black crush and some minor compression artifacts.

Audio
(:star: :star: :star: ½ out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: )

The English Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack performs adequately but will not push the limits of your home theater system. The front and center speakers provide most of the sound and the rear speakers provide ambient noise and are noticeable primarily during the music sequences. My Best Friend’s Girl by the Cars is used to good effect in the soundtrack. Dolby Digital 2.0 is also offered as an option.

Special Features
(:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: )

There are 2 separate audio commentaries available on this edition. The first audio Commentary includes actor Jason Biggs, writer Jordan Cahan, and producer Greg Lessans, and the second is the director’s commentary by Howard Deutch.

The special features include all of the following:

Making It In Beantown: Where It All Began (9:23): Cast interviews regarding making of the film.

The Cast’s Guide to Dating (8:35): Cast interviews regarding experiences and expectations when dating.

A to Z: Professor Turner’s Sexist Rating System (7:57): In the film, Professor Turner has developed a rating system for women that is more intricate and detailed than the traditional scale from 1 to 10. The Turner system that was used in the film is explained here in more detail by the cast.

The Prom: A Teen Rite of Passage (4:45): Cast interviews regarding experiences at their own proms.

Deleted and Extended Scenes (25:15): Fifteen different deleted and extended scenes.

Also From Lionsgate: Trailers for Good Luck Chuck, Religulous, and Disaster Movie.

Conclusion
(:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: overall)

Anyone who enjoys romantic comedies will enjoy this film, provided that they are not squeamish about bad language and nudity. If you enjoy the American Pie series, you will probably enjoy this film. If you are not a fan of this type of humor, nor of romantic comedies, then My Best Friend’s Girl is not likely to change your mind about this genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks