What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Cloverfield (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The reviews I have read have skipped on the 11 (or failing to mention 10 of them) easter eggs (which I had to use Windows Media Player to find 10 of them). So far I have been only one that reviewed it to mention all the easter eggs (but who knows I couldalways come across a DVD review that mentions all of them). I was disappointed that Paramount hadn't included the trailers for the film on the DVD.

P.S. I have enjoyed reading the Cloverfield DVD reviews so far.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I thoroughly enjoyed this in the theater. It's basically a roller-coaster ride (and about as deep), but it delivers the thrills. I just finished reading the FX article in Cinefex, so I'm looking forward to watching it again at home.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

david since you did find them, why would you not mention them and how to find them.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
TonyD, one easter egg can be found in the set-up menu while the other 10 I found by loading the disc (in Windows Media Player) on the computer's DVD-ROM (and I still haven't found out how to normally access them on a DVD player).

A couple of easter eggs are a couple of gag featurettes (We're Phantoms in 15, the green X one). The other easter eggs deal with some news reports of an event that happened months before the movie, a Japanese soft drink commercial, and 4 video blogs from a yound blond woman.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i cant figure how to play them either.
i can see them in explore the disc but they are scramled when i try to play them.

no sites that i can find even mention the hidden stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I highly doubt it but maybe typing in the numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) from Lost on your remote would take you to them. Like I said, that seems really unlikely but there must be some crazy way to get to them rather than the usual 'left' or 'right' on your remote.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Is anyone purchasing any of the "special retailer editions" like Best Buy's or FYE's steelbook edition? I was wondering if there are any bonus features that come with those editions that aren't on the regular single disc edition that Amazon sells.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is my most anticipated DVD of this year, having seen the film 3 times in the theater I must say that I am quite disappointed at the audio of this DVD. Despite the foundation-threatening LFE, which does come across well, what's sorely missing IMO is that nerve-shattering dynamic range whenever the creature screams.

The highs just don't seem to be there which is one of the things that gave the creature it's towering feel, indeed it makes me question whether or not DVD is even capable of what I heard all three times at the theater. This DVD will do for now but i'm hoping this situation can be rectified with the lossless audio offered by Blu ray as it's those unbelievable highs that really chilled me to the core.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the only exclusive with actual video content is Best Buy's bonus disc. It's called T.J Miller's Video Diary and, according to the disc, runs 24 minutes. And Target has a CD with music from the movie (I guess from the party at the beginning).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I watched this tonight, and yeah, it's fun. I have to forgive the prerequisite, stunningly moronic behavior of the main characters later in the film. I mean, come one. Are you serious? But then again, they're probably all getting their tickets punched anyway. I know the LFE is severe when the ports on my sub blow open the blinds, and this did several times.

Does Lizzy Caplan (Marlena) look like Asia Argento's little sister or what? Definitely not a bad thing.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Caplan was a highlight in the extras on this disc, because despite being put through not only intense but just plain disgusting stuff, she was clearly having a ball with it.

This film was one of those rare instances where I just had to know, 'how did they do THAT?' and go through all the extras right away.

The steelbook was worth the extra money, because not only is it appropriately covert and sparse, but there's no 'version francaise incluse' or some nonsense ruining it like the basic cover here in Canada.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Me too. IMO this movie has some of the most convincing and seamless visual effects i've seen in quite some time, not just with the creature but mainly the street/set extentions and making me believe that they were actually on the Brooklyn bridge when it was just a small portion of set surrounded by green screen. :emoji_thumbsup:

Truly outstanding work considering the films budget.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ditto the comments about the extras, went right into it after the movie. I simply loved the movie, the visual effects were seemless it had me at the edge of my seat. This is definetly one that will be watched over and over again. I hope this is the beginning of many more to come and love the homage to Godzilla during the interview and the music at the end was definetly a tribute to Godzilla.
One thing for sure, my 7 year old will not be watching it. I had asked about bringing him to the movie and I think the way it's filmed would let my son's imagination runaway with him. One Great Movie.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This film certainly deserves a visual effects Oscar nomination.

Maybe even a nod for cinematography? ;)
Probably not.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've got a pretty good eye for that kind of stuff and the digital streets, buildings and extensions are great (even taking into account that the lack of resolution will hide some effects sins). The most impressive to me was when they run to the helicopters landed in the middle of a street towards the end of the movie and the only thing that was there was the helicopter, people and a blue screen.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit

Can someone give me a marker to go off of because this has been killing me since the movie came out. I never noticed it in the theater, and now on dvd i still can't find it. Even when I put it in frame by frame, I can't see it :frowning: driving me nuts!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

It's at 1:13:16. You can't miss it, it happens right at the horizon line of the ocean off to the right, you'll see an object fall and then splash into the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks