What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Alien: Quadrilogy" w/ ton's of screenshots! Highly Recommended! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ok, got to ask , in Adams third screenshot picture in his original post , what is that ? It doesnt look to be part of the packaging cause its too thin, it doesnt look like the booklet either,something else perhaps ?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Great review!!!

Has Anybody else noticed the ‘flashing’ across the top of the screen during the ALIEN Director’s Cut introduction by Ridley Scott? Is it a defect on the disc? Please let me know if you noticed this anomalie.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the very kind of review I was looking for! Love all the pics. Already ordered my set, but the DTS lock-up's have me a little worried. Don't remember this issue being mentioned in any other review I've read so far.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Ok, got to ask , in Adams third screenshot picture in his original post , what is that ? It doesnt look to be part of the packaging cause its too thin,
That is actually a picture of the spine of the set. I know it looks long and skinny, but that is jut the angle, and its close up. Its an illusion.

As for the screen shots, sorry about those guys. I didnt have time to check them all before I left work. I will fix them as soon as I get in this morning. I did fix the Alien 3 screen shots page to go to Alien 3 shots and not Aliens shots. hehe. But there are about 4 broken links there too.

I will fix them shortly. I will post again when they are all working. :)

Gruson

Second Unit
I really just want Alien and Aliens. I prefer the theatrical cuts of both.

Part 3 and 4 were just BAD.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Adam:

Great review! Thanks for all the screenshots.

I did notice that the Fox synopsis that you added for Alien: Resurrection is the same as the one for Alien. If only! :D

This one has been high on my Xmas wish list for a long time. My wife is getting sick of my not-too-subtle hints!

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious about something. Quite awhile back when the the (first) ALIEN LEGACY box set was released, there was some discussion about the lack of LFE on the ALIEN DVD. Someone mentioned that on the Laserdisc version, that the BASS was thunderous. It's therefore disappointing to hear that this is likely the same mix as on the original DVD released back then. I'll still buy the new version though, as it otherwise seems like a great set with all the extras you'll ever want. Anyone care to comment on the laserdisc sound quality, especially the LFE?

-Mike

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Awesome review Adam! :emoji_thumbsup: Although with my modem I had to open the page with the graphics toggled off, otherwise I'd be here all day waiting for images to load.
Doesn't matter this was a must buy the moment I heard it was on the way.:)

But I will be hanging onto my now preciousss original 'Alien' dvd because of the alternative music tracks by my favorite film composer.

Fred C. Dobbs

Auditioning
Wow! Thanks for the great review, Adam. I am going to be picking up my set, among other discs, on 12/12 and I can't wait. I'm glad I didn't pick up the Alien Legacy set when I had the chance.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Has Anybody else noticed the ‘flashing’ across the top of the screen during the ALIEN Director’s Cut introduction by Ridley Scott? Is it a defect on the disc? Please let me know if you noticed this anomalie.
Are you talking about the background that sort of flickers? Yes, I see it too. Watch it on a computer and it really shows up. Its just because its crappy video quality. Dont worry, its not your player.

As a side not. ALL LINKS ARE FIXED. and Resurrection synopsis fixed.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't know; with the lack of a much-improved Aliens transfer, light bass on Alien, and no new sound mix for Aliens, I think I might as well hold out for HD-DVD in hopes they'll do some more improvements to encourage another re-purchase. Would like to see the new cuts of 3 and 4, and the SE of Alien, but I can hold out. It is ashame since it sounds like Alien looks awesome.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Adam good job on this monstrous set,just 1 observation in general if I may.

Movies/DVDs are not mixed in Dolby or DTS,they are encoded as such after it has been mixed on uncompressed masters.This is even true for remasters for home editions.So the correct term would be:This DVD is encoded in Dolby Digital,or DTS.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
My complaint with "Quadrilogy" isn't that you can't make that word out of available parts, it's that there's already a word that describes what they are trying to describe, and that word is "tetralogy."

You could look it up.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
My complaint with "Quadrilogy" isn't that you can't make that word out of available parts, it's that there's already a word that describes what they are trying to describe, and that word is "tetralogy."
Do we have to go through this again? Discussion threads were loaded with "NO SUCH WORD" arguements when this set was announced. (Oxford dictionaries list it as a word, Websters does not.)

Fact: Great numbers of people know that "quad" equals "four". You simply can't say the same about "tetra". Most folks think that is a tropical fish. ;) Naming/marketing for the masses. Plain and simple.

Now, back to the subject at hand. Adam, great review! And THANK YOU for all the screen shots, especially of the packaging! :D I can hardly wait to get my hands on this, even if I do need a bigger coffee table to unfold it on. ;)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I share Dome sentiments.

I still have to watch Straw Dogs, The Two Towers Ex Cut and waiting for Robin Hood, Treasure & Yankee plus docu

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks