What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "28 Days Later" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

TedT

Second Unit
Adam,

Just saw this yesterday. You did WAY too much telling of the story in the description of it!!! You should have just left it after the first paragraph. Then told us what you thought about the story (without spoilers, of course). We don't need a full description of the first 90 minutes of the film!!!

Regards,

Ted

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Anyone had this happen to him/her before?
Yup,

I was freakin out thinking I picked up the full screen. However, looking at the disc it says wide screen. So I stopped freaking out and went to my T.V's settings. I had the 16x9 set to auto, didn't do the trick. So I put it to "on" and it worked.

No other DVD does this. Weird indeed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me when I bought the Canadian version of "Ginger Snaps": it defaulted to a full-screen, center zoom. Especially noticeable on this film since the opening titles are pushed way to the sides and were cut off. My older player didn't have the proper settings to fix it, so I had to wait until I got a newer player to see the WS version.

Actually, I wish all DVD's were like this. Then, those who don't give a crap about AR would have their screens filled, and the rest of us would be able to watch the OAR version with our correctly set-up systems. With one single version, there would be no need for near-death experiences when one purchases (or thinks they might have purchased) a pan-and-scan version instead of a widescreen version, and the full-screen people would be happy too. :)

Amano Ai

Agent
I rented this and really liked it, unfortunately I only saw the two alternate endings, returned the disc, and missed the radical one with the storyboard.

Can someone summarize what that radical ending was?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The movie was good, but I would'nt purchase it unless they shot the whole thing over with standard 35mm film. And I don't see how this abominable PQ contribues to the film in any way.
It contributes to the film in this way: It got the movie made.

Danny Boyle shot "28 Days Later" on digital video largely because nobody would give him the budget he needed to shoot it on film. He saved several million dollars by shooting on DV. If he hadn't shot digital the movie never would have been made at all.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I almost bought this movie sight unseen. I am so glad that I didn't. I did not like this movie at all.

Kami

Screenwriter
While it was shot on video, it looks a little worse than it has to on the DVD. There is excessive amounts of sharpness applied. So much that it masks actual detail. Look at the first closeup of Jim's eye too, or the monkey - edges just don't seem right. Maybe they did this so that the DVD presentation would resemble the theatrical presentation? Either way the film is still beautifully shot and looks great.

Amano Ai

Agent
dan, thanks for the summary on the radical ending. I'm glad they used the current as well. Although, the one with the doors closing behind was pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks