What's new

HTF Contest: Win an Epson HC 8700 1080P projector courtesy of Epson and ProjectorPeople.com! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maj273

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Watch the Lord of The Ring Trilogy In Blu Ray (that my grandkids got me for my birthday) with my grandkids in my almost finished entertainment room. I just lack a projector and screen to complete it.

maj273

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Watch the Lord of The Ring Trilogy In Blu Ray (that my grandkids got me for my birthday) with my grandkids in my almost finished entertainment room. I just lack a projector and screen to complete it.

Boozer007

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
My wife would have the first say

Not a soap she would watch all the day

It’s Desi and Lucy

Not Behar and Whoopi

For they only cause her dismay

My son and his friends he’d invite

For big screen viewing done right

Serve Spongebob and Disney

I doubt he would miss me

Playing Wii from morning ‘till night.

The NFL I’m properly scanning

A game is what I am planning

The weekend’s great pleasure

Would be nothing to measure

Without a Titans pounding of Manning

For the evening’s final submission

Comes complete with grub from the kitchen

In 1080p

It’s Spicoli and me

Watching Fast Times @ Ridgemont – TOTALLY BITCHIN!!

maxsm

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I would have to watch football with the family to start out with. Isn't that as American as the holiday itself. Then after everyone has passed out from all the turkey overdose, I would grab some reference material to put the new toy to the test. ie. Avatar, Toy Story 3....Glad the holiday begins on Thursday because I will need the next couple days to get my fix.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We more or less always follow up dinner with a movie Thanksgiving evening, and it varies as to what it is. Aside from the Holiday pack of Peanuts, we don't have a preferred movie tradition, just whatever sounds good that night. If I were to win the projector, I would likely begin a marathon of the Alien Anthology (if it were up to me) , but I'd suspect we might end up watching something a bit more "family friendly" right after dinner. Chest bursters might not be the best thing to watch after the inevitable plethora of food

My grandmother's TV died and since she has parkinson's TV is pretty much a large portion of her day. I donated my former HDTV to her along with buying her a new stand that could handle the weight (it was a large CRT), and I bought us another set of similar size for us since I didn't have the funds to go with something larger at the time.

fredrick

Auditioning
It has long been a tradition in my family to watch both "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Christmas Vacation" at Thanksgiving to set off the holiday season. My son will be coming this year with my new granddaughter to join our family on this entertaining evening with -5- generations to celebrate the holidays.

Hmmm - what I'd do with that projector . . .

We have been in the process of building a new home for our retirement, which we hope to have completed within the next week or so, just in time for my wife, myself, our son, our daughter, our son-in-law, and our two granddaughters to spend our first family Thanksgiving there. Thanksgiving in our family is always a big gathering, with my wife's father, her three sisters, their husbands, our nieces and nephews, and various other relatives in attendance.

If you'd like to view photos of the progress of our home, here is a link to our photo sharing website:

http://wunderhome.myphotoalbum.com
Included in the new home will be our dedicated theater room in the basement. I'd like to say that the theater room will be done by Thanksgiving, but it doesn't seem likely to happen, since all of our energy has been put into keeping our general contractor on task to complete the house. However, if I were to win the Epson projector, I would certainly have my home theater guy come in and install it, along with enough other gear so that we could watch Blu-Ray movies, football (it's Thanksgiving, after all), and who knows what all else. I figure the projector would get a lot of almost non-stop hours (we have to eat some time - lol) put on it just on Thanksgiving day. Since much of the family comes for the weekend, we would have viewing parties every day throughout the holiday weekend. I would have to take requests from family members, so about the only movies that I can be reasonably sure we'd view at one time or another would be "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" for the youngsters and adults alike.

I know the family is looking forward to us finishing our new home and the theater room. I'm sure they would be thrilled to be able to use it over the Thanksgiving weekend. I know I would!

Rick Wunder

sharkus

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus Kellerman
Dear HTF,

My name is Sonya and I’m neglected. When I read about your contest online, I knew you were the only one that could help me.

I’m a Sony VPL-W400Q and my owner purchased me over nine years ago. I was a great catch at that time and went for over three thousand dollars. We immediately fell in love, and spent hours together in a small living room, where I projected magic onto a 91” screen. Although I am a noisy lover, my owner cranked the volume on his 5.1 channel Denon to compensate. Anamorphic DVDs made me shine and sparkle. I thrived on a diet of pure Luma and Chroma over a gold plated s-video cable. These were the best days of my life.

My owner started a family, and as things happen, children shortly followed. Gone were the days where the soundtrack could be used to compensate for my heavy breathing. “You’ll wake the baby!” was no longer just a line from Lady and the Tramp. It became reality. I could see my owner was falling out of love, and the worse was yet to come.

When we moved to a new home six years ago I was bagged, boxed, and placed on a shelf in the garage. My only company was a small field mouse, who built a nest inside my box. I tried to say hello to my little friend, but he died before we found a connection. He did become quite a stinker before my owner discovered his remains a few months later.

Today I’m brought out of storage once a year for Halloween. I spend three or so hours projecting Sleepy Hollow onto a thin drape hanging in the window. I bask in my lamp-light, frightening young trick-or-treater’s. For those few hours each year, I see the love in my owner’s eyes, despite the fact that I’m the most expense Halloween decoration in the neighborhood.

It’s because of my eternal love that I need my owner to find a new model to replace me. I want him to be able to share his love for projected movies and sports with his children without the need for total darkness or ear-piercing volume levels. My owner has just purchased the Sound of Music on Blu-Ray. I know how much joy it would bring to have his children see the hills come alive for the first time on a big screen. I’ve done a thorough background check, and I'm confident that the super model known as Epson 8700ub will make my owner love again.

Help me, HTF; you're my only hope.

RandyRR

Auditioning
As I stare at this Home Theater Forum Reply window, I'm thinking, "What would get someone's attention, maybe a sad story, or a happy story, a scary story. Maybe a story with intrigue would make them call me the winner." But, now, I think most of you just want the truth...so here it goes...

We have been wanting to build a home theater for many years. I wouldn't say my current setup is what anyone would consider a "dedicated" home theater, but I am happy for what I have: a 52" Samsung 120Hz LCD (2+ years old), a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX (11 years old); Paradigm mains, center, surrounds, and sub (10 years old); PlayStation3 (2+ years old); a couple of binders of DVDs; a medium stack of BluRay's

We have 5 people in our family, and we all LOVE to watch movies and TV and listen to great music. This projector could be the impetus that pushes us to really start on our home theater dream. I could not think of a better way to end this year than winning a projector, having a Thanksgiving celebration, and starting our family HT build. My oldest turned 18 this year, and my youngest is 12, so we could really make this a family project

I promise you that if I win, I will temporarily install the projector somewhere and get some great pictures of the resulting Thanksgiving party! We would watch football games, TV, movies. Furthermore, if we move forward with out HT project, I will share all of that on the forum, as well.

...and as Donkey from Shrek would say, "Hey, hey...pick me, pick me!!"

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
2010 has been a big year for my wife and I. After having dated for close to years, we finally got married this past October 9, 2010 at a beautiful winery in Temecula, CA. We also purchased our first home together this past summer leading up to the wedding. It has been said to avoid planning a wedding and purchasing a home in the same year or one will lose their sanity. Well...we threw caution to the wind, did both and thankfully survived.

Now as we are well into the Fall season and approaching our first winter holiday season as newlyweds, we are looking forward to having our first Thanksgiving dinner in our new Los Angeles home. Both of our parents are going to join us. And I can not think of a better way to break in a new Epson Home Cinema 8700UB 1080p projector than to do it at Thanksgiving with family, as we watch and re-live video from our recent wedding and perhaps even a slideshow or two chronicling of our wonderful last year together.

Cheers!

CineNomad

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Farmer
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; min-height: 15.0px} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px Arial} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 13.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; min-height: 15.0px} span.s1 {text-decoration: underline ; color: #44708c} If I were to win the Epson projector:

I would first invite all my nieces and nephews over for a Thanksgiving 'Wallace and Grommit Marathon'. We would feast all night on home-made dinner rolls and leftover Halloween Tootsie Rolls. After the projector bulb has cooled down, I would carefully wrap the projector up in a towel and put it in my suitcase.

The next morning my brother will drive me to the airport where I will catch my flight to Luang Prabang, Laos. Upon my arrival, I will carry the Epson projector down to the local football stadium. I will: set the projector in the middle of the stadium, plug it into a 2K generator, hit the power button, and (if all goes as planned) screen 24 films in crystal-clear detail to the thousands attending the first annual Luang Prabang Film Festival.

Because the budget for this film festival is limited, we currently only have one single Sanyo projector. And boy is it old! The Sanyo has served us well for screenings in Burmese refugee camps and schools up and down the Thai-Burma border, but to be honest, I am not certain it will survive 8 grueling days of film festival screenings. It would be wonderful to be able to take a brand-spankin' new HD projector to Laos so that we can finally retire the old Sanyo.

After the film festival, I would take the Epson on a traveling cinema roadshow (dates pending) through five provincial cities in Laos. In partnership with the Lao Department of Cinema we will screen educational films to school children to instruct them about the dangers of the cluster bombs left over from the Vietnam War. Hundreds of children every year are killed or hospitalized because they mistake these small 'bombies' for toy balls or custard apples. The kids all love to watch the movies, and don't mind sitting through a few educational shorts before and after the main feature.

If I did happen to win the Epson, I would commit to using all 4000 hours of lamp life to screening educational films to children that have never seen a theater before. And I promise to post pictures here regularly as the projector makes its way through Asia.

In any case, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I would gather the family, and we would review my daughter's fist year on this planet. I love making homemade movies with her, and I think everyone in attendance would absolutely love seeing her over this past year.

ColinRobertson

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Robertson
What's with all the sob stories? And peeps wanting to watch the Sound of Music? Weird. I'm not sure what I would watch on Thanksgiving, but I would be giving thanks to HT Forum and thanks to the Epson engineers for all the inky blacks and sharp detail. Plus, I'm getting married soon so it would be great to have a projector set up. We could hold movie nights, gaming nights, BAD movie nights, super bowl parties... Maybe I could even get the fiance into some HD games (do projectors work with Kinect?)! Actually, we are in the middle of going through the Battlestar Galactica BD's so that's probably what would get watched on Thanksgiving. Thanks!

JaysonY

Auditioning
My ex wife took all my home theater equipment about 2 yrs ago. She left the recliners though! After spending plenty of money on attorneys to gain custody of my two boys, ages 11 and 13, I have slowly been piecing together a new home theater as funds are available. Currently we have an Onkyo receiver, an old Sony DVD player, and 7.1 surround all being watched on an antique 27" JVC TV. Winning a new Epson HC 8700 projector would force me to purchase the badly needed Blu-Ray player needed to show off such a spectacular projector. And return a once wonderful family experience back to my boys. They could again enjoy watching movies and playing video games on the big screen with there friends, which was the reason for building the theater in the first place! Ironman2 and Avatar would be playing on the 120" screen after thanksgiving dinner.

newtexan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Ziotkowski
I would use my new projector to watch a couple of good DVD's, like Terminator Salvation.

While we have the Dallas Cowboys down here, they are too far out of the competition to make watching their football game worthwhile.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
As a kid, Thanksgiving was, for me, less about turkey and stuffing, and more about KING KONG. The 1933 version, that is. Sure, it was also about family and great food and getting a vacation from school... But even more than that, Thanksgiving was a chance to set out once again on that familiar journey to Skull Island and New York City that I'd taken every year previous as far back as memory allows. In my own way, I'd give thanks for the magic and excitement that is cinema. So why KING KONG, you ask? Well, quite simply, because it was what channel 9 chose to show every Thanksgiving afternoon. And so it was that a movie about a monstrous, tragic ape and his desire for a beautiful woman became the greatest part of a holiday tradition for me. I can remember, no matter whose home we attended, sneaking off to find a private room with a TV so that I could be transported once again to that frightening, exciting and oh-so-alluring world of deepest, darkest imagination. And even when KING KONG would frustratingly be interrupted by calls of "Hal, dinner's ready!!!!", I would not budge from my perch in front of the TV and, eventually, dinner would be brought to me. Or I'd simply wait until Kong had fallen to his death and the last great line uttered, before emerging from my far off cocoon to join the rest of my family in their Thanksgiving traditions, having already indulged and celebrated my own particular brand of the same.

So, it goes without saying, that if I were to win an Epson HC 8700 1080P projector for Thanksgiving, Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace's classic tale would once again return to its rightful place as the best possible of all holiday traditions, only this time substantially larger on Blu-ray and in 1080p. Times change and with it technology, but some traditions simply must endure.

bigredishott

Auditioning
Real Name
Raymond
I would check out BBC Life! I think that would be a good test drive for the projector, and it would be something suitable for my kids too (6 & 7) I might watch some Thanksgiving football on it too!

BrianAg95

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Well now that is a tough question...

In years past my beloved Texas A&M Aggies used to play on Thanksgiving day.. That was before they were punished for some illegal recruiting or some such thing, and were banned from TV. When that happened the game was moved to Friday. so that is RIGHT OUT.

Well if I can't watch college ball on Thanksgiving day, how about the pro games. I did grow up in Dallas in the days of Roger Staubach, so I have to be a Cobwoys fan, then again with a record like 1-6 who would waste their time on a Cowboys game this year. So once again Football is RIGHT OUT!

I have been dying to rewatch Lord of the Rings on the big screen, but being as I prefer the Extended editions and I have been denied them on Blu-Ray so far, it appears that is still on hold as well. Sure I could watch the theatrical versions or the DVD versions, but if I am going to watch something on the BIG SCREEN, why compromise on less than the best.

Star Wars is a perennial favorite around the house, and my kids are really getting into it these days, but alas that too has been denied me on Blu-Ray so that too will have to wait...

I suppose Apollo 13 could work, it is sitting in my shelf on Blu, still with the plastic wrap intact, It has sweeping space vistas, is the story of an American triumph on an American Holiday, it could test the black levels on new equipment. It is an excellent movie, certainly family friendly.

Yes I would say that will do nicely, Apollo 13! (though I suppose if my guest pick something else from my catalogue, I could be persuaded otherwise)

PS: The carpet went in today, baseboards and touchup left! I am prewired for ceiling projector, speakers, etc., the hole in the left wall is where I will be mounting the equipment rack. I am ready just send the projector and screen my way! I haven't ordered one yet, simply due to paying off the carpet first! OUCH carpet is expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks