What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter

Release Date: March 24, 2009
Studio: Warner Home Video
Packaging/Materials: Single-disc Blu-Ray case with cardstock slipcover
Year: 2009
Rating: Tales of the Black Freighter: R / Under the Hood: PG
Running Time: Tales of the Black Freighter: 26m / Under the Hood: 38m
MSRP: $35.99

MAIN FEATURESPECIAL FEATURES
VideoTales of the Black Freighter: 1080p high definition 16x9 2.40:1 / Under the Hood: 1080p high definition 1.33:1Partially 1080i or 1080p high definition, partially 480i or 480p standard definition
AudioDolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: English 5.1Stereo
SubtitlesEnglish (episodes and select bonus material)

The Feature: 3.5/5
At the 2007 San Diego Comic-Con director Zack Snyder vowed to include "Tales of the Black Freighter" in his motion picture adaptation of "Watchmen". The enigmatic pirate meta-story was always the first thing to go in previous adaptations of the acclaimed graphic novel, so cheers of approval echoed through the exhibition hall. Fast forward two years later and Snyder has yet to follow through, though next week's video release of the story in animated form and reports of a "fetishistic and kind of crazy release" that will incorporate it into the live action film give us a couple reasons to think he'll stay true to his word. The only question now is whether one should buy this standalone release or wait for its inclusion in an extended cut of the movie. As with the motion comic that came out a couple weeks ago, I suspect it will be only the most rabid "Watchmen" fans picking this up. Everyone else will either give it a pass or rent it out of curiosity, the contents playing more like part of a larger set of extras than an independent feature.

Out there on its own - disconnected from "Watchmen's" story proper - "Tales of the Black Freighter" both improves and suffers. On one hand it's easier to track the narrative of a sea captain's tragic descent into madness. On the other you lose the intuitive associations and contrapuntal rhythm of the interweaving stories. Though "Black Freighter" is still compelling on its own, it's clearly a case of synergy when combined with the "Watchmen" narrative.

As far as adapting what existed as a comic book in "Watchmen" into an animated short, it makes a certain amount of sense. The animation itself is nothing extraordinary, though the excellent voice acting by (Snyder movie alum) Gerard Butler makes up for any underwhelming visuals. And of course it remains to be seen how well it is all incorporated into the live action film.

Included as a sort of complementary feature is "Under the Hood", another meta-item based around the memoir written by the character Hollis Mason, the original Nite Owl. In the graphic novel a couple of pages from the book were included as part of "Watchmen's" cultural bric-a-brac. This video piece takes things a few steps further, surmising that with any high profile book release comes an indepth news story on the subject. In this case it's done by Larry Culpeper (Ted Friend), host of the Culpeper Minute, a TV news magazine. Set in 1985, Culpeper looks back to his 1975 interview with Mason (Stephen McHattie) and Sally Jupiter (Carla Gugino), who reflect back on the early days of the costumed superhero. Though sporting some pretty poorly done Photoshop images, "Under the Hood" serves as an effective back story to the live action film and gives a couple of characters some additional, appreciated screen time. Usually pseudo-documentaries like this play a bit too self-aware, but McHattie and Gugino play their parts with just the right amount of "I'm being interviewed" self-consciousness. A few retro commercials selling Veidt's Nostalgia perfume and household cleaning products complete the period presentation.

Video Quality

Tales of the Black Freighter: 5/5
The film is accurately framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec. Blacks are stable, deep and, given the source material, appropriately inky. The color palette is very dark, consisting mostly of black, shades of grey and browns. The occurences of red, however, show great depth and saturation. Fine detail can be hard to judge but the imperfections of the hand drawn line art serve as a good indicators. Clean and devoid of blemishes, the image shows no signs banding, edge enhancement or noise reduction.

Under the Hood: 3/5
The film is accurately framed at 1.33:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec. What I assume to be a video source (due to the consistent 30 frame-per-second feel) has been aggressively manipulated to impart an aged and vintage quality. The 1985 era TV studio shots show a noticeable drop in resolution reminiscent of 480i material. The 1975 material is made to look to like aged and faded 16mm film, with heavy grain at times and faux physical damage. Though certainly not adhering to any conventional standard, the image looks reasonably sharp and detailed and appropriate for the content.

Audio Quality

Tales of the Black Freighter: 4/5
Center channel activity dominates the Dolby TrueHD audio mix with consistently clear and intelligible dialogue. Surrounds and the front mains are mostly used for soundtrack support and some environmental effects like squawking birds, rain showers and howling winds. LFE is measured in its use but sounds deep, clean and full.

Under the Hood: 3/5
Dialogue is the sole component of the Dolby TrueHD mix and sounds consistently clear and intelligible.

Special Features: 2/5
Items range from the perfunctory to the promotional, with none having much replay value or depth.

"Story Within A Story: The Books of Watchmen" (25m01s): Cast and crew remark on the significance of the stories woven into the "Watchmen" universe. Though the piece makes a direct link between "Black Freighter" and one particular character, it's also worth considering other interpretations, especially in light of how it's presented alongside the main story.

"Watchmen Motion Comic" Chapter One (25m31s): A sample of the motion comic video release, which animates the graphic novel's artwork and features the voice talents of actor Thomas Stechshulte. In high definition.

"A First Look at Green Lantern" (10m12s): Creators and voice talent (which include Christopher Meloni as Hal Jordan and Victor Garber as Sinestro) talk about the upcoming direct-to-video, animated Green Lantern movie. In standard definition.

BD-Live: At the time of review, the only feature was a streaming trailer for the release.

Digital Copy: Download a digital copy for playback on computer or portable video device. Compatible with Windows only.

Recap

The Feature: 3.5/5
Video Quality: 5/5 and 3/5
Audio Quality: 4/5 and 3/5
Special Features: 2/5
Overall Score (not an average): 3.5/5

Meta-stories from the "Watchmen" graphic novel that will likely appeal to only the most ardent fans, get very good technical presentations overall but a meager set of special features.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Isn't it very likely that this disc and the "motion comic" disc will be part of a Watchmen box set this fall?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Here's hoping it is. I'm certainly going to wait to find out. In the meantime, I may rent this. As for the motion comic, I doubt I'll bother either way.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It may not even be a box set. I've seen Snyder mention that he's planning on incorporating the "Tales" story (and hopefully deleted/extended scenes) into the movie for his Director's Cut when it hits video, and if Warner goes whole hog like they did with The Dark Knight, the bonus features will likely include "Under the Hood" as well. That means for me, this disc is a rental at best, although I may just hold off until the Watchmen BD comes out if everything on this disc will be included.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The "Tales.." material will be interspersed throughout an extended cut of the film along with additional transition scenes involving the kid reading the comic and the news vendor.

Regards,

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I don't know about re-cutting this stuff into the movie. I loved the theatrical cut, but I feel like the insertion of the animation, regardless of how well done it is, could be stylistically jarring.

--Jefferson Morris

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I was wondering about that myself. The logical thing to do would be to include either both cuts or allow for seamless branching to give the viewer the option to choose. That said, seamless branching may or may not be possible depending on the scope of the changes, or more likely the willingness of the studio.

It all just reinforces my decision to wait however. Warner Bros. is going to dip this move like no tomorrow, so I'd like to see how things 'shake out' before I commit to buying anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks