What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Unbreakable (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Oh, there is a big difference between the BD and the SD DVD to be sure. I just don't happen to agree with Matt's appraisal of the PQ, particularly the sharpness. Unbreakable had a pretty crappy SD DVD transfer, and now it has a pretty mediocre BD transfer. That's an improvement, any way you look at it, but it doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

If you're a fan of the film, the BD is the only way to go. I'd open and watch my copy again for sure. There's no telling whether the audio will get corrected or not. Even if it does, how long will it take? Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches to enjoy your favorite films in their 'best' presentations.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

That's my opinion, too. I think that the sad fact is that Unbreakable isn't a big enough title to get (a) recalled and fixed (as it's not broken, it's just disappointing) or (b) remasted with an "all new transfer!" any time soon.

Quick question: does anyone know if this BD is a single or double layer?

-Reagan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I love this film, but I'll be the first to admit that I did *not* see it in the theaters. Perhaps what we're seeing is a weakness in the film elements? Can someone who is familiar with the theatrical look of the film pipe up?

I only say this because a lot of MNS's other films I saw in the theaters and the dark scenes in many of them were very grainy and/or soft on the big screen. Unbreakable has many dark and dimly lit scenes. Perhaps this is a case of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)? Since I didn't see it theatrically I'm in no position to tell.

I can say that I saw his latest, Lady in the Water, a couple of times in two different theaters and noted the softness/graininess of dark scenes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Unbreakable has many dark and dimly lit scenes"

I didnt watch the entire film, I just went through it because of lack of time. I will watch the entire movie this weekend.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt hear the pops, maybe i just didnt notice them.

the pcm track was awesome.

the darks are a disappointment.

video 3/5

the movie is brilliant and one of my 5 favorite films.
there is so much i love about this movie.

i wish Night would record a comment
track for this film.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
IMO, Night's best film to date. I look forward to picking this up.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the entire BD. Forgotten how much I loved the film. I didn't have a problem with the blacks. Nighttime and dark scenes are notoriously hard to light and shoot. Doesn't look out of line with other dark films I've seen. Not reference quality, but nothing I could really complain about either. 4/5 rating for PQ for me.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall UNBREAKABLE having a super-sharp look in the theater, and remember, back in 2000 they weren't doing Digital Intermediates, so any optical shots were just that- optically printed shots, several generations removed from the original negative, with the resulting loss in quality the optical printing process entails. It's not fair to compare how this film looks compared to THE PRESTIGE, a completely different film shot several years later with different filmstocks and in a different post-production environment- i.e., the age of the Digital Intermediate, where things like optical degradation are all but a thing of the past.

Vincent

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Vincent,

You are probably right. Given that the only "effects" are color correction, is it possible that it (the color correction) was done in the digital domain, in which case the quality of the original film to digital transfer (2000 technology) would be the culprit?

Either way, no one is going back to the in-camera negative and redo the effects just to get a new transfer.

-Reagan

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Anyone know where you can get the trailer for Unbreakable? Its not on the DVD or Blu-ray I've heard.

I think its one of the best trailers ever.

Doro

Agent
I LOVED this movie! It really felt like a true, old school comic book in regards to the simple origin and eventual discovery that the main character went thru step by step. It wasn't overdone....just bare bones and simple. The last movie he's(MKS) done that was any good but perhaps that will change with the new one.

Mark

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
At most a 3/5 for image quality on this one. It's an outdated looking transfer that is plagued by edge enhancement and sports generally a harsh video look with lack of fine detail instead of a film look. Grain looks bad too, especially in motion. I would not be surprised if this is not a new transfer but >= 5 years old. Not recommended. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks