What's new

HTF Blu Ray Review: U-571 (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This wasn't directed to you. It´s just, that perhaps people should actually watch these movies vs staring those endless screencaps from the net.

I respect your efforts, don´t get me wrong. Screencaps can be helpful and all that. The "climate" in the different forums (at the moment) just isn´t something that I personally like. Many people draw out only the negative points.

I guess that´s why I mainly post to HTF. No time for BS. ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Exactly, and I'm not defensive about my reviews or my qualifications such as they are Xylon. We simply have different priorities when it comes to films, transfers and Blu in particular. Also, as Jari points out, I'd rather be a part of something that takes a holistic, even a positive view of these releases rather than being bogged down in the dregs of negativity that AVS and other forums have sunk to. Note my comments in the other U-571 thread.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I understand what you're saying - particularly in the software section, but AVS is still the best site on the Web when it comes to hardware and display discussions. There are some very intelligent, informative individuals (Bob Pariseau is a great example) in some of those threads. Yes, there's nonsense in there too, but you just have to mentally filter that out.

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L

I also make positive reviews a lot more than the negative one. Not a lot of postings in those :laugh: I would say they agree with me. Not worth replying. I mean look at my The Professional PIX thread you almost hear crickets :eek:

Its the negative reviews that gets all the attention. Most of it are "explanations" why the PQ is bad and apologists that say "Who cares? Its better than DVD!!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
"

My screenshots from different formats supported by BD Info and log files that I include in my threads are just a tad more unforgiving. I know it frustrated some online reviewers and I understand they can't possible do an A/B comparison everytime they review a movie and make a more accurate evaluation. And because of that they get some undeserved bashing from HT/AVS members.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Bottom line, does this thing THUMP or what?! Has anyone tried it out? I've yet to throw mine in, but mave have to soon since I should probably do so while people are awake rather than waking them with this bombast! :D

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Just got done watching the BD.

I have the HD DVD previously so I can somewhat compare the two titles.

Video-wise I actually found the picture to be quite sharp----- however--- I definitely noticed less grain than on the HD DVD. I won't say how much it affected picture quality as my setup is a 46" model. Having said that, I'm not sure one is better than the other.

As for the audio:

HOLY S__T!!!!

Tier 0 definitely and i'd say just a shade below my other favorites:

MASTER AND COMMANDER
THE ORPHANAGE

It's not just a matter of the depth charges, but the subtle details found while they were being depth charged. The breaking of glass, fatiguing of the metals, the crashing of lights- all very cleanly articulated.

If I could use a word to describe it, the word is RESONANCE. That's what the DTS-MA track allows is resonance of the original signal.

I used to have the HD DVD and while the DD+ and the DTS were very good, it had nowhere near the articulation and resonance of the DTS-MA track. There's more to it than just improved dynamics. The dialogue was particularily clear, the humming of engines and the intialization of equipment that was previously hiding in previoius audio formats, are now realized.

For lossless junkies this is a necessary BD to check out!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, plenty of good info those sections, I agree. And yes, less "debate", especially after the "war".

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Anyway...

While it does appear to be missing some of the grain I seem to recall from previous versions, this BR is still excellent in many ways. It still retains that very film-like presentation and in looking at a few scenes, I thought the black levels looked rock solid. While I feel that ALL the grain should be intact, this is no where near being one of the biggest offenders.

On the audio side, this BR rocks the house, literally and figuratively. I have over 1,000 watts of outboard amplification and 2 subs and there were times during the depth charge scene where I thought they were gonna fold up and pack it in, that scene is just that taxing. To go from the quiet of the sub to the slam of an exploding depth charge(s), you system had better be up to par to really deliver the audio goods.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks