What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
And the over-reaction crowd strikes again!

First of all, what are "all these titles" that Disney is applying DNR to? Second of all, from most accounts, the DNR is inconsistent, since the "missing information" seems to be limited to only certain scenes. And finally, this is frames, not an entire film, so please stop making blanket statements about the studio and the format.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha, ha; talk about "over-reaction"!!!
"All these titles" refers too all these titles Disney is DNR'ing; no more, no less.
Did I say it was the whole movie? No!
I know its "frames", that's why I posted "frames"!
What did you think I meant when I posted "frames"???
The whole movie?!?!?!?!
Please don't make blanket statements about me, by mis-representing my post.
Thank you.
Especially for the laugh! :)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Anyone having trouble with the digital copy?

I keep getting a message that my itunes store is unavailable when I put the passcode in. But if I click on the store, evrything else comes right up.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is also the question of when the DNR is applied. Remember that Disney likely cleaned up the elements to prepare the 3D version, so the weird disappearance may be related to that cleanup.

That one scene has a few instances. Depending on your individual perception and display, you might never notice.

There are other very, very small instances during the rest of the film but I think I only spotted them because I have experience scrutinising such output for DVD production.

It's a nice disc on the whole, I'd have preferred them not to have used the film grain reduction, though.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Same deal with me this afternoon. There are rumors that there will be a big iTunes update announced tomorrow. I wonder if they are making any behind the seems updates at the iTunes store in anticipation of the Apple "Lets Rock" deal tomorrow.

Putting that aside, I do note that I got an e-mail receipt from iTunes for NBC, although the process craps out before the movie imports to iTunes.

Hopefully when they sort of the issue, we won't then get messages telling us our codes have been used. I expect that they would sort it out, but it would be a PITA to have to try to explain to them what a Digital Copy is, yada, yada, yada.

Brian

EDIT: Must be something specific to dealing with Digital Copy. I was able to "buy" one of the weekly Free iTunes tracks, which also uses the iTunes Music Store. But I continue to get the same "Store Not Available. Try Later" message when attempting to redeem the NBC code.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Looks like it is fixed. Working now. Of course, I do not see much chance that I will watch a SD version when I have it on BR!

Brian

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Was there a "A few words about...™" thread on this title?
Thanks.
Is the DNR sticky thread gone for good?
Great thread by the way!

BOT:
This is still considered a GREAT transfer, right?
Thanks, again.

That line cracks me up! :)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I finally got to watch it in its entirety, and there are a couple of things I really don't like about it.
First, the extensive clean-up that has been performed on it. I didn't see any of the DNR anomalies a few members posted about earlier, but the severe lack of grain looks a bit disturbing to me. I know that they would've had a lot of control of the light anyway, so the grain wouldn't be terribly thick, but it doesn't look right to me.
Second, the changing of the opening titles. The Touchstone logo and title has been removed in favor of the new Disney logo and title. Fortunately the music isn't missing, but with the reinstated RKO titles we've been getting on the earlier Classics, I hoped this tinkering was a thing of the past. Apparently not. Also the titles zoom towards you, which is probably an effect of the 3D version. It's out of place here.
Third, the remix that has been done. I know it's been common for animated movies to have a lot of panning of the sounds going around, but I'm sure this wasn't the case on the original mix on the earlier dvd. It's really disruptive, I think, to suddenly have some voices come out the rear speakers, when they didn't do that in the earlier mix. I'm also very sure that some sound effects have been either added to the mix, or have been more pronounced.
Also a lighting error in the shot where Jack cuts the paper to reveal a spider has been corrected, but that's very minor.
I don't know why they should change some things that was perfectly fine to begin with. I don't know if I like it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks