What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I spoke to Sony Customer service today as I have a Sony player about the problems with playback on The Twilight Zone. I am obsessed with trying to get to the bottom of this.

Sony was great! They looked into it and said I was the first person to talk to them about this set. All they can do is put an inquiry into Image and as soon as Image gets back to them, if a fix is an update to firmware, they'll do it.

And I spoke to Amazon's Customer Service rep by phone too. I never did that before, kinda cool, you ask them to call and they call you instantly! I spoke to a really nice customer rep, sounded like she was in a foreign country, but I won't get into that. She confirmed this set is on hold and many customers are having problems with the set. The full weight of Amazon holding this product will get Image to resolve it. She told me that it will cost them many sales because Amazon sell so much, so it behooves them to get this problem resolved. That all sounds great, but I told her I found it hard to believe Image can fix the problem in the 7 days they told me Amazon has to do the investigation into this set. So at least I'm on record with them and if I want, I can get a new replacement copy from Amazon after the 7 days are over and they will contact me and see if I want a new copy that is "fixed".

I am impressed with Amazon's customer service. The woman I spoke to took good care of me.

I truly hope this gets resolved with the full weight of Amazon on them! I wish us all luck here.

I hope my 30 days are not up for a replacement! I see very tiny scratches on disc 4 and would rather just have it swapped out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Seems that if you let Amazon know you're unhappy, they'll do what it takes to get you a new copy. Just let them know.

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
I have recieved a response from Image on this situation, in my opinion, it's the standard company line, look at this:

Hello and thank you for your inquiry regarding the Twilight Zone Season One Blu-ray set. Please note that Image strives to produce the best possible DVD and BD releases and this is one that we worked diligently on to create the most “packed” set available to fans of the series.

To answer your questions, Image Entertainment uses a state-of-the-art authoring facility for Blu-ray High Definition Movie discs. Our discs are all created in HDMV mode and although many functions can be incorporated, we choose to utilize a standard authoring guide in the “most basic form” for all Image titles. Thus all five "Twilight Zone Season One" discs followed the same exact specs.

The authoring house is an exclusive Sonic Scenarist facility which is required to follow comprehensive specification controls that allow maximum compatibility across the widest possible range of players. Image also uses an outside QC house to test BD-R’s before sending to our replication facility. Full QC’s are done to the first generation discs and compatibility checks vary depending on the complexity of the title (languages, bonus features, interactivity, etc.)

Once the BD-R’s are approved, files are sent to Image’s replication facility and an additional round of verification and compatibility tests are performed before mass duplication commences. These systems' are designed to check every part of a disc against industry specifications to validate the content. Unfortunately system checks don't always mean a disc will work on all Blu-ray players (especially with discs that have so much content / navigation, etc.), as different machines can interpret the spec dissimilarly and there is no way to test every function of a title.

Compatibility issues are more due to a specific player than the disc and thus firmware updates provide opportunities for manufacturers to step in and resolve common complaints such as failure to load, stutter during playback, freezes and stopping play altogether (almost any compliance variance can cause a player to react negatively to a disc). Image Entertainment and its authoring, QC and replication partners continue to strive for 100% compatible discs across an ever divergent field of players.

We are sincerely sorry to hear you are having problems playing the BD series, however ongoing tests have shown no defects in the discs currently in release. We do take our quality seriously and hope you will continue to be a Twilight Zone and Image customer into the future.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Trevor for updating us here. I think I will send Image an email with my experience of 2 sets that fail at the same point. I don't hold hope I'll be as lucky as you to get a response. Did you use the email address that you can find on Image's website?

At least I feel better you got through to them and I've raised the flag with Sony and Amazon. Looking at Amazon today, the TZ set is back for sale there. So I don't know if that means they feel they resolved the problem. When I hear back from Amazon as I mentioned above, perhaps a newly exchanged set will be struck from a new batch without the replication issues.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Based on earlier experiences with problem DVDs, seeing it back on sale unfortunately does NOT mean the problem is resolved.

Trevtpir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor
I thought I'd give an update on my ordeal with the Twilight Zone Blu-ray set. Image has accepted my request for a replacement set directly from them! They are in the process of a new replication run of TZ season 1. For those of you wondering, go to the Image website and try and e-mail your stories of problems. [email protected] I think Image may finally be listening. Someone got to them. If from what I see is correct about Sony doing replication now, there shouldn't be any problems. This makes me excited about season 2 now. And season 3 might be coming Febuary 15, 2011 according to tvshowsondvd.com Here's to hoping.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Not sure this needed a new thread, cause we already have more than 1 on the subject anyway.

But, as far as Image goes, F**K 'em. I wouldn't own the thing if they gave it to me.

This thing has been out a month, and the people who have contacted them about this have been treated pretty badly. But we have mostly been ignored by Image! A niche company shouldnt treat their customers the way they have. I will not buy an Image title again.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your news Trevor. I'll be sending them a note too.

I do agree with Rick, there's already 2 threads on the TZ not including this new one. I hope they get merged because there's good info in all and not everyone may see them.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I emailed Image on 10/09, but they never replied. In the interim, I've received a replacement set from Amazon, which is also defective. I just now emailed Image again. We'll see what happens.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Update: I spoke to Amazon today. They called me as they promised. The customer service rep tells me that Amazon has done what they can to investigate the problems we are having and feels that the problem has been resolved and that it is now safe to sell the Twilight Zone Season One blu-ray. And I asked if they can really say that for sure! She is in San Jose Costa Rica by the way! She admits that she doesn't know how the investigation went and what the resolution was. But if I am not happy, they will take care of the problem. I had hoped to learn if they received a new shipment of discs from a new batch in case the set I received was from a bad batch. She could not tell me.

At any rate, it's no cost for me, so I have accepted their offer to send me another set. I will have it Wednesday and I really hope it's okay. If it's not, Amazon will take it back. But they really hope I will be happy and we have success this time.

I will let you know.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Nelson, I posted my Amazon replacement story in another thread, but I'll recap it here for you: My disc 4 wouldn't load in my ps3 (with the latest firmware), so Amazon overnighted a replacement set to me. Unfortunately, the set they sent was a USED set with a cracked case and sloppily re-shrinkwrapped. Disc 4 in the replacement set was also defective. I contacted them again, and they suggested I return both sets for a refund. They ignored the fact that they'd sent me someone else's defective/returned set, and now they're ignoring me completely. Hopefully you have better luck.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I did see your post about your Amazon experience and I brought it up with the Customer Service person I was working with. She said she doesn't blame you for being upset. She truly hoped I don't have the same experience as you did. And if I did, she'd be very embarrassed because she feels the experience reflected badly on her as an Amazon rep.

Thanks for your positive thoughts! I'll let you know how I make out.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I sent yet another message to Amazon, and now they're overnighting me ANOTHER replacement. Their response included the following priceless blurb:

"If you've any difficulty playing this another replacement "The Twilight Zone: Season One" I would request you to update the player firmware and try again. If not, please let us know and we'll investigate further."

Dear God, EVERY SINGLE message I've sent to them has indicated clearly that my PS3 in fact HAS the latest firmware update. Sheesh.

In any case, here's hoping the third time will be the charm. I'll know tomorrow night.... And for the record, Image is still ignoring me. What should have been my greatest blu-ray experience has been a gigantic headache.

Oh hey, season 3 is up for pre-order! http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0049HOVEG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1288745507&sr=8-8 So they went with green this time. So we've got blue, red, and now green. What's left...? Yellow? Orange? Purple? Plaid????

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Am I misremembering, or at one point did Image go bankrupt? If so, they emerged from that and invested a huge pile of money on this TZ set hoping to make it all back and then some. Given the problems with this set I doubt it. I'm a bit TZ fan--their natural audience. But the problems and the high price have made me rethink it. I think the price alone wouldn't have stopped me--since several times I almost activated the amazon buy button, but pulled back at the last second. Now I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get it--or any of the other seasons. And I wonder what this will do to Image as a company? Could they go broke again?

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I am hoping this thread can keep me informed as to if and when Image deals with these issues. I haven't got the set yet (was planning to down the road) but want to make sure they ironed all the problems out before I do.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
I sent yet another message to Amazon, and now they're overnighting me ANOTHER replacement. Their response included the following priceless blurb:

"If you've any difficulty playing this another replacement "The Twilight Zone: Season One" I would request you to update the player firmware and try again. If not, please let us know and we'll investigate further."

Dear God, EVERY SINGLE message I've sent to them has indicated clearly that my PS3 in fact HAS the latest firmware update. Sheesh.

In any case, here's hoping the third time will be the charm. I'll know tomorrow night.... And for the record, Image is still ignoring me. What should have been my greatest blu-ray experience has been a gigantic headache.

Oh hey, season 3 is up for pre-order! http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0049HOVEG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1288745507&sr=8-8 So they went with green this time. So we've got blue, red, and now green. What's left...? Yellow? Orange? Purple? Plaid????
If this next set doesn't work do you know anyone who has a PS3 slim version to see if it works on that? Just curious. I keep reading on here and on Amazon how people are getting multiple sets to try and them not working each time but curious if they tried a totally different player.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My replacement set from Amazon has arrived.

I played The Big Tall Wish. It still won't play! I fast forwarded from the first act to the mid point when Boile is in the room with his trainer putting his gloves on. It started to stutter in fast forward as it got to this point. I hit play and it took several seconds till it caught up with itself and played up to the commercial break, I saw the Twilight Zone title card and then it went black and never came back. Watching the counter, I can see it is displaying forward counting, but no image or sound. And the counter will skip ahead a few seconds every few seconds onwards.

The next episode would not play on my last set. This new set, the next episode after Big Tall Wish actually started and then went black and jumped ahead 13 minutes!

The set I got was brand new and in the shrink wrap with the slip cover outside.

I'm wondering if maybe my player needs a bigger memory card? But I doubt it, it played the new Alien set fine. I will see if I can try it on another player. But my friend is busy with a new baby.

I don't blame Image entirely here. They should let us know what is going on. I think they set out to make a fantastic set for TZ fans and they succeeded. But somewhere during production something went wrong. As been discussed, we are getting bad copies from Amazon. I am wondering if getting a copy locally might see different results.

At any rate, I will be in touch with the Customer Service rep at Amazon. She scheduled a call with me later this week to see how I made out with the replacement! Maybe this will be resolved by the time Season 2 comes out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks