What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Spirit (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that even the bad film this is, it will still probably do great numbers on Blu-Ray. A lot of people are like me and blind buy cool looking movies with an attractive cast.

I wish there were a way to warn those people.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm so glad I resisted temptation and didn't blind buy this. I rented it from Netflix and as visually stunning as it is the film is disjointed, corney and just plain wierd. In fact it felt an aweful lot like that Alec Baldwin epic turd The Shadow and the Billy Zane classic The Phantom, all were lame and laughable, although The Phantom did introduce the world to Catherine Zeta Jones so it's not all bad.

The Spirit himself was probably one of the most lame looking and inept heroes ever, he gets his ass handed to him so easily in the film it's pathetic, again, very much reminded me of Baldwin and Zane with a pinch of Burt Ward's Robin from the Adam West series thrown in for good measure.

It also lost major points for dissolving a kitten in acid or whatever the hell that was...booooooo!!! It was also annoying, maybe i'm not in on it since i've never read the comic but what was with the cloned, smiling doofus' that Jackson used for henchmen?

And don't even get me started on the scene with the dancing foot with the head of said smiling doofus, that's an image I won't get out of my head even after i'm dead.

One thing that got me through this, though...Eva Mendes, i'd drink that woman's dirty bathwater lol.

I'm sort of over Scarlett Johansson.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I rented this. Bloody awful. Grade D. The only reason it doesn't get an F is because there was plenty of Hot women to look at. The only resemblances to Eisner's SPIRIT were the name, the mask, the punishment the Spirit took, and the street grates. The rest of it had none of the warmth, humour, or humanistic qualities of Eisner's creation.

The Octopus as a mad scientist and strutting around in Nazi regalia? What utter shite. Miller took a villain that shared qualities with Doyle's Moriarty and turned him into a bizarre clown prince, instead of the shadowy menace that he was.

The film did have some interesting visual qualities, but the visuals couldn't even come close to saving it. AFAIAC, Miller took a piss all over Eisner's character and legacy. Miller deserves to be kicked squarely in the nuts for this abomination.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Paz Vega is the main reason to suffer through this mess of a movie (with liberal use of the fast-forward button on the other footage).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks