What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Silence of the Lambs (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

I have a box of snappers and digi-pak cases stored away in my closet for that very reason. They have all been replaced with more traditional (and often slimmer) DVD and BD cases.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure how much I buy into the environmental aspects of this case either. As soon as I saw it, I assumed it must be cheaper to manufacture and therefore cheaper for the studios to purchase because it uses less plastic. In my mind that's the real motivation.

BTW, the new James Bond discs (Goldfinger, Moonraker, and The World is Not Enough) all use these cases too. I'm not a big fan, but I won't get too worked up until the first time one of those damn flat, black, square security stickers Fox/MGM/Disney uses gets stuck to the inside of the slip cover.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

As someone that works in home video/DVD/Blu-ray, packaging is something that I'm involved in. I can promise you that these "environmentally friendly" designs cost us more, not less. Not significantly more, in the grand scheme of things, but we're not getting offers like, "We'll sell them to you cheaper if we can give you ones that have giant holes and less plastic."

I think these cases with the cutouts aren't as bad (pricewise) as some of the other environmentally friendly options, because they can still be packaged by machine. Thinpaks, digipaks and different kinds of environmentaly friendly packaging all have to be packed by hand, which costs more.

I can't tell you for sure what goes on in the heads of execs at other studios, but I think this is one instance where they really are trying to do the right thing by trying to be more conscious of the environment.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Thanks. I certainly don't mind being proven wrong in this instance.

If only someone could convince them of all the environment good they would be doing if they stop using security stickers. :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Hahaha. We'd love to stop paying for them too! Tell retails to stop demanding them
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MatS

Screenwriter
14.99 @ Amazon (and WM.com) right now

by the way I decided to open the wallet at that price
I started having second thoughts given the mixed reviews so I ran to put in the Criterion dvd which I haven't watched in a good while and couldn't believe that it was non anamorphic and the amount of print damage that existed on that release. My decision quickly went from hesitation to a no brainer.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Thanks - I was just going to post that. It didn't take long...I'll probably try and grab it at my local WM tonight. This is a more reasonable price indeed especially for an MGM title....hopefully a price trend of more catalog titles to come.

MatS

Screenwriter
from what I understand the WM price is only good online
you could do site to store shipping but that would take some time and you have to factor in sales tax as well for WM

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon - I had totally forgotten I had a $10 credit from them, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks