What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Return of the Living Dead: Collector's Edition (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

The Return of the Living Dead: Collector’s Edition (Blu-ray Combo

Pack)
Directed by Dan O'Bannon

Studio: MGM
Year: 1985
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 91 minutes
Rating: R
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English; Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English, French
Subtitles: SDH, Spanish, Zombie

Region: A
MSRP: $ 24.99

Release Date: September 14, 2010

Review Date: September 17, 2010

The Film

2.5/5

Dan O'Bannon’s The Return of the Living Dead is a zombie comedy that starts off great, coasts in neutral for much of its length, and then sadly runs out of gas before it sputters to a halt. After George Romero’s two serious zombie pictures, The Return of the Living Dead is both a loving tribute to Romero’s work and a nutty comic take on the genre. In its day, it was likely viewed more heartily than it is now. More modern audiences have probably seen the masterful Shaun of the Dead which earns its laughs far more uproariously and consistently than this film does. So, while The Return of the Living Dead got there first, in the case of zombie comedy, first doesn’t equal best.

After mistakenly unleashing a poisonous gas from an Army container holding a corpse who then comes to life (Allan Trautman) and later dispensing the gas through a crematorium where a sudden rainstorm causes the now toxic liquid to revive corpses from a nearby cemetery, medical supply warehouse owner Burt (Clu Gulager), office manager Frank (James Karen), intern Freddy (Thom Mathews), and mortician Ernie (Don Calfa) find themselves trapped inside while the zombies attack. What’s more, Frank and Freddy were exposed to the gas and find themselves slowly transforming into something hideous. More potential victims include a group of teenagers who had stopped by Freddy’s workplace and now find themselves trapped including girl friend Tina (Beverly Randolph), punk rockers Suicide (Mark Venturini) and Scuz (Brian Peck), and  Trash (Linnea Quigley) who’s fond of dancing nude in cemeteries.

The film’s terrific beginning is due to some bright writing by scripter/director Dan O'Bannon and the tremendous sense of fun in the whole project infused in it by actor James Karen. He sets up the satire almost immediately by asking his new intern if he’s familiar with Night of the Living Dead, and for the next three quarters of an hour, his humor and then his dismay at what he’s done are the source of continual amusement. The teenagers partying in the cemetery aren’t nearly as much fun and rather let their extreme hairstyles and “rad” attitudes do much of the work for their lack of inventiveness in their performances. The low budget of the piece isn’t really a liability when you’ve got zombies screaming at the camera that they “need more brains” and using the radio to call additional medics and police to the scene to satisfy their insatiable hunger. Some of the special effects and make-up designs are impressive (the Tarman is a real treat), but at other points, the filmmakers drop the ball as when Tina hugs Freddy right before his final transformation into a zombie, and his pale yellowish makeup rubs noticeably onto her cheek.

The three experienced actors in the three leading roles (Clu Gulager, Don Calfa, and especially James Karen) really expose the pitiful inexperience and glaring lack of talent in many of the younger players. Of them, Thom Mathews especially and also Beverly Randolph manage not to embarrass themselves. Most impressive of the other performers is actor/dancer Allan Trautman whose discombobulated body movements are amazing to watch, all portions of his torso seeming to have minds of their own.

Video Quality

3/5

The film’s theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is faithfully replicated in 1080p using the AVC codec. Sharpness is rather average in quality, and while color saturation is acceptable and flesh tones look pretty decent, the film’s solidity varies depending on the light sources used during filming. Interior scenes in lower light levels bring the grain levels up appreciably with the images taking on a more digitized appearance. Long shots also seem noticeably soft. The film has been divided into 24 chapters.

Audio Quality

3/5

The film has been fitted with a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track, but taken from mono sources, this new surround track really has a very limited amount of ambiance. Most of the sound is spread across the front three channels with very, very little use being made of the rear channels or the subwoofer. A lossy (and louder) mono track is also provided.

Special Features

3/5

There are two audio commentaries offered. Director Dan O'Bannon and production designer William Stout provide comments on one chat while Stout along with cast members Don Calfa, Beverly Randolph, Allan Trautman, Linnea Quigley, and Brian Peck provide the other discussion. Stout does a good bit of talking on both tracks (and repeats information, of course), but fans of the film will want to hear the comments of both groups about the making of the movie and their pride in its now cult status.

Unless otherwise noted, the featurettes are presented in 480i.

Return of the Living Dead: The Dead Have Risen” is a 20 ½-minute reminiscence by the stars of the film looking back on its fame and success.

“The Decade of Darkness” is a 23 ½-minute discussion of the horror movie explosion of the 1980s with film historians, directors like John Landis and Joe Dante, and Elvira (cracking wise) offering opinions on their favorite films, directors, and stars.

“Designing the Dead” finds director Dan O'Bannon and production designer William Stout discussing their careers and in particular their work on this film. The featurette runs 13 ½ minutes.

Two theatrical trailers are available for viewing, both in 1080p. The “bloody” one runs 1 ¼ minutes while the “bloodier” one runs 2 ¾ minutes.

For a bit of fun, the viewer can turn on the zombie subtitle stream which offers translations of the zombies’ moans and groans and growls when they appear on the screen.

The second disc in the set is the DVD version of the movie.

In Conclusion

3/5 (not an average)

Dan O'Bannon’s The Return of the Living Dead isn’t consistent fun, and better acting from its young cast might have made it more palatable today, but it’s a fanciful idea for a horror comedy and reasonably well done even when viewed in retrospect.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
One of my favorite guilty pleasures, but I see there is no need for an upgrade to Blu-ray. Thanks for the review I always have found your thoughts and observations to be right on the money.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
2 1/2 stars? Being written off as a "guilty pleasure"? I'm sorry but this is a TERRIFIC film. Nothing guilty about viewing this pleasure of a film, and WAY better than 2 1/2 stars.

Vincent

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis

One of my favorite guilty pleasures, but I see there is no need for an upgrade to Blu-ray. Thanks for the review I always have found your thoughts and observations to be right on the money.

I've read elsewhere that the BR is a BIG improvement over the DVD. You can see details that simply aren't visible on the DVD. The sound is said to be noticeably better as well. Keep in mind that it's not a film with high production values. The best news for me is people saying that it hasn't been "improved"--that whatever "soft and grainy" qualities it has are because it WAS soft and grainy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I'm glad to see Fox starting to port the extras from the included DVD over to the Blu-ray.

I agree. There is no reason why this can't be done always and just discontinue including the DVD altogether.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Which version of the DVD is included. Is it the collector's edition or the double sided disc with the 4:3 open-matte version on side B?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Charlie O.

Which version of the DVD is included. Is it the collector's edition or the double sided disc with the 4:3 open-matte version on side B?

It is not a flipper, and it contains all of the bonus features contained on the Blu-ray, so I'm assuming this is the Collector's Edition.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Originally Posted by ScottJH

Currently $10.49 @ Amazon

Just purchased this, along with Escape from NY, for 10.49 ea. Ill be keeping my DVD copies of both, however.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm glad I waited and got this for eleven bucks from Amazon. I love this movie but paying ten dollars more for a not-so-great release would've killed me

MattFini

Supporting Actor
If this presents an improvement on the audio front I'm going to be very, very happy with this release.

It (along with Invasion of the Body Snatchers) is en route from Amazon.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the DVD is the same one that was released a few years ago. The "collector's edition". It actually had both commentaries on it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, one more question, did they fix the audio problem from the old DVD where the song 'Take a Walk' was missing when the kids were running in the rain from the warehouse to the graveyard?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks